Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Operational problems with new diesel pickups
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Operational problems with new diesel pickups

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/21 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DEF trucks are great. They are reliable and get great fuel mileage. One concern is that they need to be worked, or else they attempt to go into regen (common with any DPF diesel). When we go to Florida, after a week of low speed commuter driving my truck gets cranky and wants to regen. If I don't get out on the highway, it will attempt to regen itself by heating up. That is an absolute waste of fuel, so be careful with that.

I've heard of carbon buildup on turbo vanes, but the Cummins has a variable vane turbo so it isn't supposed to be nearly as susceptible to it. I'm at 60K trouble free miles on my 2015. I really like it for the power as well as the exhaust brake which is incredible!

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DEF allowed mfg to reduce EGR levels with minimal EGR which helps mileage and performance. EGR was the primarily way to reduce NOx emissions, which DEF also does a great job of. DEF +NOx= N2 +H2O + CO2. With DEF there is less need for EGR, helping performance and economy.

Our 2015.5 Duramax has 60K on it, no issues at all, although GM did increase the warranty on the DEF heater to 10 or 12years and 100Kish miles.
Neighbor has a Ford scorpion with DEF and 150K + miles only issue has been a new radiator, OEM started leaking at about 150K miles, hardly an emissions issue.

As far as the DPF and regen, our duramax regen's fine even in short (10ish+ miles) town trips. may take a few trips but no problem.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only emission issue I've had on my truck in 6 years and 72k miles is a downstream NOX sensor that went bad. It didn't cause any noticeable performance issues, it just threw a code every few weeks after I cleared it. The replacement was about $250 from Amazon and it took me about 15 minutes to swap it out. If the front one goes that could be a pain to swap out just because the access looks tricky.

I use my truck as a daily driver and I only have a 5 mile commute which isn't ideal but it hasn't been a problem.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2018 truck has 28767 miles on it. It has pulled our Cardinal 3350 26543 miles. We’ve been all over the Appalachian chain and back and forth to Florida too many times to count. The DEF consumption is higher when towing but never a mechanical problem. Change the oil every 6,000 miles.

TravelinDog

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you will be vary happy with your new truck. Most of the problems you read about on truck forums are GREATLY exaggerated. People generally don't go to truck forums and tell us how great they are.
When diesels were first made to use DEF there were problems but they have long since been worked out.

Beaker

Brevard, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/21 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Also, has anyone experienced problems with the air bags in a 2009 Silverado? Just got a recall notice on ours. Replacement air bags are not available.

2008 airbag replaced under Takata recall.

2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

alexleblanc

Shediac N.B

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm on my second DEF truck and I've never had so much as an issue with the system - heck neither truck has given me any issues outside of regular maintenance.

TV - 17 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 15 Durango 296BH + B&W Companion
others - 17 Shelby GT350 | 21 Expedition Max Platinum | 14 Mustang GT | 87 Regal GN | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 21 Maverick X3 DS Turbo R | 22 Cayman GTS 4.0 (on order)

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/21 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This 2015 Cummins is my first diesel. Bout it with 80k miles and after a year of ownership has ran flawlessly. As was said, excessive idling clogs up the works.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2014 Ram CTD
, 110,000 no problems of any kind , just tires and batteries replaced .

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2019 ram with the HO cummins. I didn't have any problems until the first recall, which was an emissions update. I had to take it to two different dealerships to get the recall done.

Actually, now that I think about it, I had to take it to the dealer after it was 3 or 4 months old. Three different trips. The problem was never fixed. The factory doesn't have a fix. LOL. But, that's just the ram ownership experience, so I've learned.

The only other unfixed issues have nothing to do with the DEF or emissions, other than the emissions recall, which apparently causes other issues.

So, if you want a truck that can tow a heavy load up a hill, buy a ram. It might have problems like no AC, or no heat, surging throttle, random clunks, and a transmission that bucks when towing, and a radio that shuts off randomly, and poor dealership support. But, if you can ignore all that, buy a ram.

LOL.

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I own a Fiat Qui-Qui, I understand why.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Operational problems with new diesel pickups
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.