Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Operational problems with new diesel pickups
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Operational problems with new diesel pickups

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It only stands to reason that with every new generation of trucks that come out, they come closer and closer to perfecting the DEF system, and the problems of the early ones that left a bad taste in owners' mouths will become old wives' tales told to scare the children.

Unfortunately the everyday consumer had to be the beta testers of the DEF systems, as they have had to be the beta testers for everything that came before.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Travel glampers

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We thank you all for the excellent feedback. What a great resource this is. Camping people are the best.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/21 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is wrong with the 2009? I have doubts the 2021 will save any real time getting up the hills of CO. Air bags will become available and will get installed. Of course if money is easy....

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/21 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travel glampers wrote:

We're considering the purchase of a 2021 diesel, DRW, long bed pickup. Towing a 14,000 lb. fiver into the Rockies....The head mechanic at a local dealership actually bought a used 2009 Duramax, to avoid DEF problems. I have been told the DEF problems have been solved, but carbon build up remains. I wondering what operational problems people have experienced late model diesels, from the three different brands.

2014 Ram 2500 with 6.7 Cummins with 160,000 miles. In 6 years of ownership I've had 1 CEL that was for insufficient catalyst. This was directly related to cheap farm store DEF that I purchased. Since then I've used only Peak Blue DEF and have had ZERO issues related to DEF.

Currently have a CEL for Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor #5 and will replace that sensor soon. I've heard various stories of DEF problems, but in my case I'd say the system works just fine. What about the current EGT sensor you may ask? Have you ever had to replace an O2 sensor in your gas vehicle? The EGT is no different, they are sensors in a hot system, of course it will fail at some point.

I have lots of torque, I get 21MPG unloaded, my tailpipe is clean, and the exhaust doesn't smell like burning oil. I'm pretty happy with the system

'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Travel glampers

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm the OP. Just got an appointment to have the passenger air bag replaced.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/21 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devo the dog wrote:

I have a 2019 ram with the HO cummins. I didn't have any problems until the first recall, which was an emissions update. I had to take it to two different dealerships to get the recall done.

Actually, now that I think about it, I had to take it to the dealer after it was 3 or 4 months old. Three different trips. The problem was never fixed. The factory doesn't have a fix. LOL. But, that's just the ram ownership experience, so I've learned.

The only other unfixed issues have nothing to do with the DEF or emissions, other than the emissions recall, which apparently causes other issues.

So, if you want a truck that can tow a heavy load up a hill, buy a ram. It might have problems like no AC, or no heat, surging throttle, random clunks, and a transmission that bucks when towing, and a radio that shuts off randomly, and poor dealership support. But, if you can ignore all that, buy a ram.

LOL.

Get over yourself. You happened to be the unlucky slob who got a Monday truck. Sure you are unhappy, totally understandable, but to come onto a public forum and present your case as norm is totally
irresponsible.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Devo the dog wrote:

I have a 2019 ram with the HO cummins. I didn't have any problems until the first recall, which was an emissions update. I had to take it to two different dealerships to get the recall done.

Actually, now that I think about it, I had to take it to the dealer after it was 3 or 4 months old. Three different trips. The problem was never fixed. The factory doesn't have a fix. LOL. But, that's just the ram ownership experience, so I've learned.

The only other unfixed issues have nothing to do with the DEF or emissions, other than the emissions recall, which apparently causes other issues.

So, if you want a truck that can tow a heavy load up a hill, buy a ram. It might have problems like no AC, or no heat, surging throttle, random clunks, and a transmission that bucks when towing, and a radio that shuts off randomly, and poor dealership support. But, if you can ignore all that, buy a ram.

LOL.

Get over yourself. You happened to be the unlucky slob who got a Monday truck. Sure you are unhappy, totally understandable, but to come onto a public forum and present your case as norm is totally
irresponsible.

Unfortunately it is the norm for the poster. Should he not speak out about it?

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/21 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

It only stands to reason that with every new generation of trucks that come out, they come closer and closer to perfecting the DEF system, and the problems of the early ones that left a bad taste in owners' mouths will become old wives' tales told to scare the children.

Unfortunately the everyday consumer had to be the beta testers of the DEF systems, as they have had to be the beta testers for everything that came before.

I agree with this as the same thing has happened in the trucking world. We have '12 trucks which at 1st, no problems. As time went on tho the issues started to come up and pretty much all DEF related. Next large batch was in '15, '16 ('16, '17 models) and much better. Next batch couple years later and even less issues w/ the DEF system. Not saying they are perfect and no problems, but just less of them. All Detroits and they themselves no problems, just DEF system. All the big trucks have the same issues. So things are the same for both semis and pick-ups. The air coming out of the exhaust is cleaner than what's going in up front. Based on what I've seen, pick-ups that have been modded in some fashion blow black smoke while main stream ones are clean as a whistle.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/21 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travel glampers wrote:

I'm the OP. Just got an appointment to have the passenger air bag replaced.
That was fast. Get a full detail and it will drive like new again [emoticon]

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/21 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Two 2019s, a 2015, and a 2017 at work that nobody can fix. One just needed a cool thirty grand in repairs due to a seized turbocharger. Another has ~125K on the CEL.

* This post was edited 03/27/21 03:37pm by Jarlaxle *

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 2 nutty cats...RIP, Maya ">
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Operational problems with new diesel pickups
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.