cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Bar Suggestions

casadedi49
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 38 foot Thor Challenger, gas, motorhome. I just got a vehicle that I can tow. I have been researching different tow bars and they all seem to have their good points. Any suggestions? Also once I get one who installs them? I have a Cummins dealer that I use to do some repairs and winterizing and dewinterizing but their hourly rate has really become pretty high. At least for me. Are other shops, local truck and car repair, able to install the tow bar and set up my 2014 Honda CR-V? Or is this something my automotive handy nephew could do? Last thing, should I get brake assist on the vehicle? Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
4 or 5X on the Ready Brute Elite 2 (latest model last I knew). Not that difficult to set up yourself. There were videos showing how to install the baseplate, the towbar and the roadmaster diode lights on our Jeep GC. If you have a popular toad you might find some videos too.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP - Since we sold our MH and bought a FW we no longer use/need our ready brute Elite bars. We used them to tow our CRV. I'd be willing to sell at a discount. I tried to PM you but your profile does not accept PM's.

To the MOD, I am not trying to actively sell these on the forum, just trying to help a fellow member out and can't send a PM. You can delete the post if it still violates the rules.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
It's taken me about 4 hours, from start to finish to install a base plate. Simple shade tree mechanic can do it.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

cwit
Explorer
Explorer
Ready brute elite is my choice. Great towbar. Easy to use and set up.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
For a small car like the CRV, I like the Ready Brute tow bar. It's a good choice for a car that doesn't need a more powerful brake system.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
4X on the Ready Brute Elite. Since the CRV was a very popular toad, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a YouTube video showing the installation of the base plate. The tow bar and self installation make for a low cost setup vs other options. Also recommend the Road Master brake light kit with diodes and there's likely a video on that too. Took me 3 days to do mine but I wasn't in a rush either.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went with Blue Ox and no regrets. In fact though I no longer use it I still have it (It has suffered damage and thus will go to a recycler)

However There are basically 3 or 4 major tow bars
Blue-ox stows on RV
Roadmaster different models some stow on RV some on Towed. I do not like those

The brand I would get if I was buying today is Ready brute WITH Ready Brake.

Why. as someone said you need the aux brake system for the towed. this is an all in one package.
ONE CAUTION.
The ready brake uses a cable, not unlike the parkign brake cable, to apply the towed's service brakes (Primary brakes) this cable can corrode and bind. you need to either keep it well lubed or exercise it often Follow owner's manual instructions
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

casadedi49
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your comments. It has helped a lot. I am a 71 year old single lady who is not 'automotively' inclined. I will have my nephew read your comments. I have had him do work on the moho in the past. He went to school to be a mechanic but only does that on the side now. Thanks again!

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Executive wrote:
Ready Brute from NSA is my choice. It stays mounted to your coach, if desired, and incorporates a braking system built into the tow bar. Changing out the clevis allows it to be used with almost any base plate.....Dennis

Ready Brute

That "kit" includes EVERYTHING you need, including the base plate and the break away line.

Yep these guys are good. Very simple system.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest issue I had doing the installation was removing the CRV fascia to access the installation points. Blue Ox (and probably others) give excellent instructions that your nephew could easily follow.
I used a 6 position receptacle mounted to base plate, ran the 4 wires under the car for the lights and a 12v charge line (fused) to the battery.
I just added extra bulbs to the blank space in the upper taillight fixture.
For the Brake Buddy, I added a new 12v receptacle under the dash and got power from an unused, always live spot in the fuse panel.

Ours is 12 CRV, but almost the same as a 14.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Executive wrote:
Ready Brute from NSA is my choice. It stays mounted to your coach, if desired, and incorporates a braking system built into the tow bar. Changing out the clevis allows it to be used with almost any base plate.....Dennis

Ready Brute

That "kit" includes EVERYTHING you need, including the base plate and the break away line.

X2 for ready brute. Our ready brute elite bars are great and the mechanical integrated brake is easy to hook up and nothing to install remove each time you want to tow.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
I use Demco tow bar is has a life time warranty many do not. Had mine for years seen some wear on it sent it in they serviced it no charged at that time 12 year old. I think a company that stands behind there stuff is great and can't be beat..
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Its easy to do if you can turn wrenches. all the manuf of tow bars are good quality. I have the Roadmaster, but I would lean toward the Blue Ox If I were to do it again.
Yes I would do brakes. your CRV is on the light side, but aux braking would be beneficial in the event of a disconnect.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sterling-Roadmaster-Tow-Bar-011895-Max-Capacity-6-000-lbs-Motor-Home-Travel/254904018781?hash=item3b5976a75d:g:06sAAOSwaRhgT7jo

save your bucks, use used.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.