cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED Replacement bulbs high moisture environment survival

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I am at the stage where I am installing Ms. Merry's light fixtures , I thought it prudent to inquire from the rest of the community if anyone had any experience on if a particular LED replacement bulb brand (the round canister kind that plug into the standard bases) that held up better in a wet bath environment where the ambient moisture levels in the air are regularly high held up better than another.

The market is chock-a-block full of brands and replacement bulbs now from all different manufacturers, including some of the more well known RV brands like Camco, so I'm not sure whose bulbs produce the highest lumen levels and are low electro magnetic noise (some of the cheaper bulbs as I recall created alot of electromagnetic interference from threads in the past) and can survive being in a wet bath.

Any suggestions on higher quality brands to look for is greatly appreciated.

The bulbs will be getting installed in new Arcon single and dual bulb fixtures (They produce replicas of the original Bargman vintage interior lights) with opaque lenses for the under cabinet, doorway and bathroom (the main kitchen area and dinette overhead lights are ThinLite 40W flourescent tube fixtures that use the nice larger replacement tubes that you can still find readily stocked in hardware stores.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL
10 REPLIES 10

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
joeshmoe wrote:
Geewizard wrote:
I've used these and have good luck in all areas of the TC and trailer.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/rv-led-lights/?campaign=BING%20-%20RV%20Lighting&adgroup=RV%20%2...

This^^

I buy all my LED's and lighting stuff from them. Going on 7 years since my first purchase. Installed everything from curbside lighting for the camper to interior and exterior lighting on all my vehicles. Not a single failure compared to the cheap, China Ebay and Amazon LED's which I purchased about the same time. All those either completely or partially failed within 6 mos to a couple years. Don't bother with cheapo stuff.

I also used Phillips and Sylvania brand LEDS's for both the reading lights in the camper and for turn, tail and brake lights on some other vehicles. No complaints, but they are pricier.

Thank you :).

Installed the first fixture last night, the units use a 1016 base on the single bulb units as they have a "High and Low" mode on switch, so been looking at 1016 and 1157 for replacement LEDS.

I was wondering if Superbright was legit, but the fact that others have used it here with no ill effect lends more credence to it being a safe place to shop, so I'll be looking into replacement bulbs there, as the stock incandescent bulbs are fairly dim, even on high mode ๐Ÿ˜›

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Geewizard wrote:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/rv-led-lights/?campaign=BING%20-%20RV%20Lighting&adgroup=RV%20%2...

This^^

I buy all my LED's and lighting stuff from them. Going on 7 years since my first purchase. Installed everything from curbside lighting for the camper to interior and exterior lighting on all my vehicles. Not a single failure compared to the cheap, China Ebay and Amazon LED's which I purchased about the same time. All those either completely or partially failed within 6 mos to a couple years. Don't bother with cheapo stuff.

I also used Phillips and Sylvania brand LEDS's for both the reading lights in the camper and for turn, tail and brake lights on some other vehicles. No complaints, but they are pricier.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buzzcut1 wrote:
I pulled and tossed all the light fixtures in my Lance and replaced them with new LED fitures. None of that bulb swapping and I hope it works well guessing for me. 5 years in all sorts of weather with no issues

Unfortunately, none of the existing available LED fixtures I've looked through on the variety of sites I shop from came close to the style of casing I was after (I'm attempting to recreate some of the period parts from when my 1975 camper was new), which is why I'm using the Arcon units, as they're body style similar to the originals.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I pulled and tossed all the light fixtures in my Lance and replaced them with new LED fitures. None of that bulb swapping and I hope it works well guessing for me. 5 years in all sorts of weather with no issues
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
ticki2 wrote:
I went with bright as my lenses have yellowed a bit after 50 years .

LOL!!!!!!

I read that and thought, "Jeezus, man! Time to visit the optometrist and get a new pair. Frugal, sure. But 50 yrs!?!?"
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
I bought some cheap bulbs from sell at Yitamotor on eBay out of Washington as an experiment for my existing fixtures . That was 5 years ago and they all still work and have had no problems . 10 for $13.99 . They had both bright and soft white . I went with bright as my lenses have yellowed a bit after 50 years . Donโ€™t see how more expensive one would serve me any better .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Having LED panels for $1 a piece, I junked fluorescent bulbs and put several of those panels into each fixture. Not only energy saving, but I also got the cool white light that I like.
White light is better for reading, regardless you preferences.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
All LED manufacturers lie about the bulbs output.
I bought lot of LED directly from China, where prices are very low and free shipping. Plenty to choose from on ebay. Lot of those small packages arrived to my home faster than the package sent from Michigan at the same time.
I always order the highest wattage rating that I can find and buying in multipack, lot of them sold in $1 a piece range.
I also prefer white light at 7000k

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use these. We like that they can be had with warm colors. https://m4products.com/

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member