Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: LED Replacement bulbs high moisture environment survival
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> LED Replacement bulbs high moisture environment survival

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/21 02:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I am at the stage where I am installing Ms. Merry's light fixtures , I thought it prudent to inquire from the rest of the community if anyone had any experience on if a particular LED replacement bulb brand (the round canister kind that plug into the standard bases) that held up better in a wet bath environment where the ambient moisture levels in the air are regularly high held up better than another.

The market is chock-a-block full of brands and replacement bulbs now from all different manufacturers, including some of the more well known RV brands like Camco, so I'm not sure whose bulbs produce the highest lumen levels and are low electro magnetic noise (some of the cheaper bulbs as I recall created alot of electromagnetic interference from threads in the past) and can survive being in a wet bath.

Any suggestions on higher quality brands to look for is greatly appreciated.

The bulbs will be getting installed in new Arcon single and dual bulb fixtures (They produce replicas of the original Bargman vintage interior lights) with opaque lenses for the under cabinet, doorway and bathroom (the main kitchen area and dinette overhead lights are ThinLite 40W flourescent tube fixtures that use the nice larger replacement tubes that you can still find readily stocked in hardware stores.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use these. We like that they can be had with warm colors. https://m4products.com/

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Geewizard

WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used these and have good luck in all areas of the TC and trailer.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/rv-l........v%20lights&utm_content=RV%20%26%20Camper

2004 Outfitter Apex 8
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
200W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Wave 3 Heater
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All LED manufacturers lie about the bulbs output.
I bought lot of LED directly from China, where prices are very low and free shipping. Plenty to choose from on ebay. Lot of those small packages arrived to my home faster than the package sent from Michigan at the same time.
I always order the highest wattage rating that I can find and buying in multipack, lot of them sold in $1 a piece range.
I also prefer white light at 7000k

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having LED panels for $1 a piece, I junked fluorescent bulbs and put several of those panels into each fixture. Not only energy saving, but I also got the cool white light that I like.
White light is better for reading, regardless you preferences.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought some cheap bulbs from sell at Yitamotor on eBay out of Washington as an experiment for my existing fixtures . That was 5 years ago and they all still work and have had no problems . 10 for $13.99 . They had both bright and soft white . I went with bright as my lenses have yellowed a bit after 50 years . Don’t see how more expensive one would serve me any better .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

I went with bright as my lenses have yellowed a bit after 50 years .

LOL!!!!!!

I read that and thought, "Jeezus, man! Time to visit the optometrist and get a new pair. Frugal, sure. But 50 yrs!?!?"

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pulled and tossed all the light fixtures in my Lance and replaced them with new LED fitures. None of that bulb swapping and I hope it works well guessing for me. 5 years in all sorts of weather with no issues

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/21 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

I pulled and tossed all the light fixtures in my Lance and replaced them with new LED fitures. None of that bulb swapping and I hope it works well guessing for me. 5 years in all sorts of weather with no issues

Unfortunately, none of the existing available LED fixtures I've looked through on the variety of sites I shop from came close to the style of casing I was after (I'm attempting to recreate some of the period parts from when my 1975 camper was new), which is why I'm using the Arcon units, as they're body style similar to the originals.

joeshmoe

So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/21 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geewizard wrote:

I've used these and have good luck in all areas of the TC and trailer.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/rv-l........v%20lights&utm_content=RV%20%26%20Camper

This^^

I buy all my LED's and lighting stuff from them. Going on 7 years since my first purchase. Installed everything from curbside lighting for the camper to interior and exterior lighting on all my vehicles. Not a single failure compared to the cheap, China Ebay and Amazon LED's which I purchased about the same time. All those either completely or partially failed within 6 mos to a couple years. Don't bother with cheapo stuff.

I also used Phillips and Sylvania brand LEDS's for both the reading lights in the camper and for turn, tail and brake lights on some other vehicles. No complaints, but they are pricier.

2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> LED Replacement bulbs high moisture environment survival
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.