cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet seal lube?

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Dometic 310 series porcelan toilet about 2 yrs old. Checking toilet after the winter, seems that the seal is not sealing properly and the water leaks out over time. What can I use to "lube" it up? Silicone? I'm also going out to clean the seal again.
18 REPLIES 18

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
two travelers wrote:
We have a Dometic 310 series porcelan toilet about 2 yrs old. Checking toilet after the winter, seems that the seal is not sealing properly and the water leaks out over time. What can I use to "lube" it up? Silicone? I'm also going out to clean the seal again.

When your RV sits for any length of time, pour in enough vegetable oil to cover the seal. Unlike water, it wonโ€™t evaporate, and it lubes the seal nicely.

Also, if it keeps leaking, just replace the seal.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

btilfan
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
Has anyone tried this

yes, and it worked very good.
2007 Damon Astoria Pacifica
My next hobby.

nhake01
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the Thetford toilet seal lube. It works great. It will revive a dry seal. Regular use will keep the seal in great shape.

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
Vaseline works great.
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Why did it fail so early? do you leave blow dry when you winterize system ?
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

morley
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
TenOC wrote:
Has anyone tried this
Thanks for posting this - I was starting to winder about my seal after my recent trip. This is a better solution than just leaving water in the toilet - which eventually evaporates.

To my way of thinking you still need to have a little bit of water left in the bowl at all times as it helps keep the seal moist after you have lubricated it and revitalized the seal. Also when releasing your foot pedal after flushing let it snap shut and not let the pressure off the pedal gently. The snapping shut of the seal makes it seal much better.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
Has anyone tried this
Thanks for posting this - I was starting to winder about my seal after my recent trip. This is a better solution than just leaving water in the toilet - which eventually evaporates.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check seal part number 385311658 or flush ball 385318162. You probably just need to shut off the water, clean the seal with mild soap like dawn, rinse off, then spray silicone spray on the rubber and let sit to dry. This should solve your problem.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
Has anyone tried this

Since it's petroleum free and silicone based I bet it would work fine.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Do a search for "Dometic 310 series porcelain toilet seal replacement" and there are several options for replacement seals.

rskrbina
Explorer
Explorer
I've used silicone grease. No leaky seal since.
Rudy, Jenny and Garrett
2014 Thor.. Four Winds 35SK Super C..F-550..6.7 Diesel
CRV, F-150 & Wrangler Sahara Toads..TST Tire monitor

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
2x, Ernie.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful when purchasing "Plumbers Grease or Lubricant". Not all of them are silicone based.

morley
Explorer
Explorer
Go to any regular hardware, Lowes or the such and buy something called Plumbers Grease. It is a little packet and costs less than $10.00 here. Apply it to the toilet seal liberally and it should work fine. We had a seal that didnโ€™t work, so we applied the lube and kept that little bit of water in the bowl that you need to keep the seal moist and it held good all last season, will make this a regular part of each seasons startup.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote