Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone Use BG Products Engine Restoration Before
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Anyone Use BG Products Engine Restoration Before

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone here used Engine Performance Restoration by BG Products before on your diesel engine? The claims are good but I am wondering if there really is that much benefit. It's an oil treatment which you run until warmed up and sludge is removed along with the carbon deposits.

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's wrong with your engine?
Nothing?
Then don't add anything.

They do remove deposits etc. But unless you skipped the last 5 oil changes on your truck, not sure why you'd be considering it.
If this is for an old jalopy that you're trying to unstick some rings or get the valves to close all the way again, then yes, it could help.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Nothing?
Then don't add anything.

They do remove deposits etc. But unless you skipped the last 5 oil changes on your truck, not sure why you'd be considering it.
If this is for an old jalopy that you're trying to unstick some rings or get the valves to close all the way again, then yes, it could help.

Nothing seems wrong on my engine, but why wouldn't you clean it out if it doesn't harm anything? Kind of like a colon cleanse [emoticon]. This is why I am checking with folks.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Nothing?
Then don't add anything.

Nothing seems wrong on my engine, but why wouldn't you clean it out if it doesn't harm anything? Kind of like a colon cleanse [emoticon]. This is why I am checking with folks.

Because dislodging a bunch of junk that isn't hurting anything is the best way to clog up tiny oil passages, like the piston cooling oil squirters or your oil pumps pickup screen for example.
This unnecessary "service" can mean a fried eng.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My thought would be if you're doing regular oil/filter changes, you're already cleaning out the sludge and soot when you change the oil. Now I've not seen the inside of engines that have run 10,000 or 15,000 miles between oil changes so I can't say what the inside of those engines looks like. Maybe they could use a clean-out product like this, but I'd need to see what it looks like before I throw snake oil at it.

I've always heard that doing a transmission flush on a high mileage automatic transmission that hasn't seen regular maintenance can cause real issues due to the sludge dislodged. Never have had it happen to me, but it seems logical. Don't see why the same thing couldn't happen to an engine. Granted it doesn't have the valve body and such of a transmission, but there are small galleys and such.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

I'd apply the same logic to an engine cleaning additive as to a colon cleanse - don't do it unless you need to.

There's little evidence that either one will do any good, and there's a chance that it will do harm.

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great responses guys. Like I said, just wanting to know thoughts about its use. They promote this things that you gain so much from doing it. I will stay clear of this product.

Lwiddis

June Lake area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, does the vehicle manufacturer recommend these treatments? If they don’t, I wouldn’t.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree, if you had blowby or burning oil, it may be worth it. But there are enough of these (and most types of) engines running well with a pile of miles on them to tell me that this is not needed.
Keep the fuel well filtered (2 micron) and OCIs and party on. The rest of the truck will need work everywhere before the engine should need anything internally.
Cheers!

TravelinDog

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm surprised they didn't have this pic on the label.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Anyone Use BG Products Engine Restoration Before
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.