cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

life in a fifth wheel with only one leg

Zcamping
Explorer
Explorer
I am curious about how folks have been able to continue to use their fifth wheel if they have a lower leg prothesis. Any modifications you may have done or just how you manage without modifications.
7 REPLIES 7

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
AK or BK?

Honest answer will depend on your mobility level. I work in O&P and would be happy to discuss any particular concerns. Youโ€™re Prosthetist should be able to help as well.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Stock/cheap stairs are pretty bad even for people without mobility challenges. There are lots of options on newer units or ones that could likely be retrofit. To me, the biggest problem are the basic stairs with the floating bottom. The newer ones that sit on the ground are MUCH more stable. I have to think the steps into the trailer are the biggest problem. The ones up to the bedroom (or whatever is in the front) are much more stable and less in number typically.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anything can be done. I had an Uncle with one leg. I can remember driving past his house one day and there he is on a ladder fixing a second story window. No prosthetic for him. He said he got around better with just crutches.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t give up an inch! You can RV with the right planning and equipment.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
No personal experience, but have a friend that has one , he doesnโ€™t appear to have any more trouble than all os old people.
Frank
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Assuming, you can climb stairs without great difficulty, shouldn't really need to do anything. Maybe look at where a strong handhold could be installed.

If stairs are problematic, you might consider a travel trailer. Preferably one that is low to the ground to minimize stairs.

If it's really bad and you incorporate a motorized scooter into your daily routine, you could consider a toy hauler (assumes you have someone who can open the loading door for you). Then you can just ride the scooter in and out minimizing the stairs.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might consider one of these.
RV Lifts
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB