Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 10 Tips for ATM safety in Mexico
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> 10 Tips for ATM safety in Mexico

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From our RV Caravan orientation guide:

1) Always use an ATM inside a Bank when possible. Try to use ones in fairly busy areas otherwise, avoid street kiosks

2) Always cover your hand when entering pin

3) Consider downloading the “ATM Card Skimmer” app to your cell. It is in the play store. This will detect if there is an illegal Bluetooth device added to the ATM transmitting your information to a nearby receiver.

4) Mexican bank rate fees range from about 20 Pesos up to over 100 depending on bank.

5) Avoid using credit union cards in Banco Azteca machines. If you have to use one, try it out with a $20 withdrawal first. I have had these machines debit my account twice, with no money dispensed, when using a credit union card

6) Check your bank statement online after you withdraw, when you can. USE A VPN

7) Consider a separate ATM card on an account with little funds, and just transfer enough into it, online, prior to using the card each time.

8) If the ATM does not look right, examine it for possible overlay keypads

9) Always have 2 cards on different banks, so you are not stuck if one gets eaten or disabled.

10) Watch THIS VIDEO

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/21 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"7) Consider a separate ATM card on an account with little funds, and just transfer enough into it, online, prior to using the card each time."

Really good!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have direct deposit to my Citibank checking account in the USA, since I am a retiree I do not get charged a fee for this, then I transfer funds from Citibank USA to my CitiBanamex account and do not pay fees for the transaction, before I had the Mexican account I would withdraw money from the ATM at the CitiBanamex bank not the kiosk at Walmart or Costco machines to exposed and to easy to be mugged.
All the withdrawals with the US card were originally charged a fee that was later reimbursed so maybe those of you that can use Citibank might want to consider that option, the video is interesting and good to know.
Stay safe out there ya all

navegator

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although we live permanently in Mexico, our banks are in the US. This means that we use ATM's exclusively for cash. During major construction work, that can means using one daily for months.

Common sense rules. Don't be afraid to use an ATM anywhere in the world as long as you pay attention to the details, just like you hopefully do in your home country!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/21 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mostly common sense and except one, not really mexico specific.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Mostly common sense and except one, not really mexico specific.
Perhaps, but I never think like that at an ATM in this country.

Talleyho69

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should!!! ATM issues in the US are common. Here in Mexico in 3 years and 7 months we have had one issue. That was a case of no money coming out of the machine. By the time I got back home and to my computer to check things, the money had been credited back to my account. Considering we did 90 days in a row last year using the ATM literally every day, that's incredible!!!

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny, my SS check is deposited into my U.S. credit union account. I have used the account debit card now for over 15 years for everything. I rarely carry cash even when we are on the road. Never an issue.

Same with my Banorte account. No issues. If I can't pay for it with a card I don't need it. I don't buy from informal businesses.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yeah my only issue has ever been with banco azteca, One in alamos and once in the yucatan. I got the money back in both cases. in both cases the same machine accepted a bank card with no issue. It was weird. the transaction went through, receipt issued, debit showed in account, but machine dispensed nothing.

Talleyho69

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So it sounds like life is good with both of you, things continue, and as to visitors to our country??? Please come!

We live in a fairly small town. We use our credit cards for groceries in the chain markets, but otherwise, unless it's an online purchase, it's cash.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> 10 Tips for ATM safety in Mexico
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.