Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Used Tow Bar Values
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Used Tow Bar Values

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Don Parrish

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is NOT an offer to buy or sell a tow bar.
In that there is a current post asking about tow bars, I'm encouraged to ask how to determine the value of a used one.
Somewhere between what the seller wants and what a buyer is willing to pay is a starting point. I'm assuming most people want to "horse trade" on something of this nature.
Is it a percentage of the original price, percentage of the same new,
age, miles used for towing? All assuming no damage and in fair to good cosmetics. Whether buying or selling starting at the wrong point could mean no interest or unwittingly making it a give-away.
Thoughts or experience out there.
Thanks, Don Parrish

rdhetrick

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/21 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure there are lots of opinions on this, but for me, I wouldn't take the chance buying a used towbar. The manufacturer of mine recommends "service" every year or two if I remember correctly. If a new one cost $1k and a used one was $500, I personally couldn't justify saving $500 for something that has a lot riding behind it! For others, it's an acceptable risk.

Don't get me wrong, I buy used stuff all the time, but in my mind, some used things just aren't worth the risk. Fire Extinguishers are another thing that comes to mind!

Rob
2006 Mandalay 40E Full Time
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just went thru this for a friends wife. He pass away and she was getting rid of the rv. My friend had damage his tow bar and he repaired it himself . Found some paper work where he order some new seals and pins but the worse part the rod he had x-rayed and it show crack no just a few but many and the main part with many cracks it self. He had taken the unit to the machine shop and had the rods straighten and had been using it for years that way. I was shock that he spent over half of what a new one cost to jerry-rig it. I took it apart and put it piece by piece in the re cycle bin. So buy have the one you are looking at x-rayed and go from there.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my Roadmaster Stow Master 5000 for $300. it was like new. the guy said he only used it once for a 1200mile trip. It sure looked like was never used. and came with the cables and 2 drawbars for a baseplate for a different car (no baseplate included though). For the $300 I also got an older brake system.

I agree though that if I`m only saving a couple hundred bucks over new its not worth it. I think mine new is around $600 or $700.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I consider the used price of an item, its age and condition. Also the supply and demand. Forty to sixty percent would be a high offer and twenty to thirty percent a low price.

I do a lot of bundling items when at a second hand sale. Just recently, wife and I bundled a list of items we were interested in and made an offer to the owner. He accepted. Included in our purchase was a nice electric bicycle which cost me zero.

I purchased a nice electric wheel chair and repaired it for a total investment of $150.00 and a friend wanted to trade me a like new 10,000 lb. Blue Ox Adventa II tow bar for it. We made an even trade and both were/are happy and both of us have enjoyed many years of service from our items. He had no use for the tow bar and I had no use for the wheel chair.

A bargain is when both the seller and the buyer are happy with the transaction.

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/21 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The price is going to be somewhere between what the seller is asking and what a buyer is willing to pay. Could be pennies on the dollar or all the way up to retail. The variables are numerous and will be different for each item and each sale.

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/21 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Demco in fifteen years I sent it in to be looked at or be serviced. They rebuilt it like new at no charge. It does have a life time warranty do not all company's have this kind of service. I hear so many say how good other brands are?

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rdhetrick wrote:

I'm sure there are lots of opinions on this, but for me, I wouldn't take the chance buying a used towbar. The manufacturer of mine recommends "service" every year or two if I remember correctly. If a new one cost $1k and a used one was $500, I personally couldn't justify saving $500 for something that has a lot riding behind it! For others, it's an acceptable risk.

Don't get me wrong, I buy used stuff all the time, but in my mind, some used things just aren't worth the risk. Fire Extinguishers are another thing that comes to mind!

I very rarely buy used equipment - but in an unusual move, bought a used tow bar. Horrible mistake. 5K miles later, it failed and is costing me a little over $3K to fix.

[image]
[image]

It left an impression from where the main pivot bolt hit the hood and grill.

[image]

This happened at the very end of a 10hr travel day -- at least we were close to our destination.

* This post was edited 03/24/21 03:26pm by an administrator/moderator *

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jshupe wrote:

rdhetrick wrote:

I very rarely buy used equipment - but in an unusual move, bought a used tow bar. Horrible mistake. 5K miles later, it failed and is costing me a little over $3K to fix.

[image]
[image]

It left an impression from where the main pivot bolt hit the hood and grill.

[image]

This happened at the very end of a 10hr travel day -- at least we were close to our destination.

I don't think that's because they were used. That looks like they were never locked.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/21 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

I don't think that's because they were used. That looks like they were never locked.

If that were the case, this would have happened in the first 10 hours of driving that day. You can hear what I presume are teeth rattling around in one of the sleeves where they sheared off, and the passenger side arm won't lock in place at all now.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Used Tow Bar Values
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.