Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone making a reliable new truck now?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anyone making a reliable new truck now?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Americamper

Anniston AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/21 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read nothing but problems out of new trucks now. The new Ford 7.3 gas engine that I had hopes for has spark plug wiring harness problems. Chevy gas engines are still using the deal where they drop cylinders out and it leads to engine failure. My son lost an engine because of this. I don't know about Rams. I currently have a 2000 Ford F250 7.3 with 160000 miles that is running great but just wondering about others experiences on newer trucks.

2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toyota.

Americamper

Anniston AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/21 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know Toyota's are reliable but unfortunately they will not carry my camper or I would buy one.

BarryG20

Castle Rock, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/21 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I had 375k miles on my 01 ram and it is still going at my brother in laws house. Not that it never needed a repair that not really anything I would call abnormal. My 2017 ram at 144k had an oil leak fixed under warranty aside from that no issues. Most truck forums and here for that matter focus on problems, you rarely hear from the vast majority of owners who either have no problems or at least don’t voice them on the internet.
Think back 30 or 40 years ago and American automakers could barely build a vehicle that could last out of warranty. You don’t think they went bang back then. They built engines to last 75-80 k miles carburetor problems on the GM Rochester quadrajet that they just kept using for years. Don’t forget the points and condensers crapping out on the highway in the rain, distributors caps cracking leaving you stranded. Granted the fixes were easier if you had a modicum of mechanical ability and you didn’t need a computer to figure out what was wrong. Thankfully the Japanese pretty much forced the American makers to up their game. Though they have had their share of problems over the years as well
Vehicles seem insanely expensive today but they are also insanely better in so many ways. I do long for the old days vehicles of yesteryears simplicity but the heated seats,variable timing, brakes etc of today would be hard to give up

2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/21 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not all Chevy engines "drop cylinders". The 6.0 never did in any form that I'm aware of; neither did the 8.1. big block. The new 6.6L gas doesn't have that "feature" either. I'm not sure about the 6.2L in the 1500's.
Mainly, it's just the 5.3L in the 1500 trucks.
If you're looking for a truck to carry a camper you don't want a 1500 anyway so a Chevy should be just fine for you.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every model of vehicle is both reliable and has issues. It seems the 7.3 issue was fixed 6 months ago with a $24 part.

https://tfltruck.com/2020/09/fix-is-comi........per-duty-7-3l-v8-spark-plug-wire-update/

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 08 Silvy w small V8 still runs just fine,but then I dont race it. [emoticon]

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kinda hard to make a reliability judgement if a truck is new. My 98 2500 has never had anything out of normal happen with it. But that's hardly a "newer" truck, but I'd sure as hell call it reliable.
I'll let you know how my 'on the way' F350 7.3 gas is after a year..... [emoticon]
And beware of online opinions. They are also like a**holes. They can be full of chit, hold back chit, and spew chit

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course every truck that works for someone is the best truck in the world and of course every truck that does not work for someone, it's the worst truck in the world...

Every make and model have gems as well as lemons...

In the end, you just gotta go with something, or don't get anything?

Getting opinions off the interweb is fine, but you still need to do your own due diligence and know what you want and know what you don't want in a vehicle and then pick one.

Every single vehicle I have ever bought has been off the lot where I could see, drive, inspect, etc..

Seems most of the lemons are the ones that are custom ordered and you get what you get.

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 12:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw a guy towing with an E350 (or maybe it was an E450) dual rear wheel flat-bed with a fifth wheel hitch. This was a few years ago, so he must have had the V-10 Triton. Said he bought it as a flatbed for a work truck, and added the fifth wheel hitch for towing.

Based on how well the E350/E450 chassis seems to do as an RV platform, that's probably a pretty reliable tow vehicle.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anyone making a reliable new truck now?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.