Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone making a reliable new truck now?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anyone making a reliable new truck now?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/21 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford still building the 6.2 gas now with a ten speed tranny. Proven engine, been around quite a while now. More than enough for any TC hauling.

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Gooma

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The competition among truck manufacturers is so fierce they all have to build reliable trucks. Most internet reviews are worthless. You only read about the problems. People buy a new truck, and if everything is fine with it no one ever writes a review, but something goes wrong and it' blasted all over the internet.
Drive them all, buy what you like, and let us all know every little nit picking detail when something goes wrong.

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the 7.3 gas engine, its new so it will have some hiccups, but Ford is doing a good job of fixing issues. If I was in the market for a new truck I would jump on the 7.3 gas with 10 speed tranny no question. The aftermarket parts are really starting to shape up for that engine as well, if people had such worries about it you wouldn't see the adoption that is going on.

I love my 7.3 PSD as well but at some point I will need to give it up, I have been following the progress of godzilla since it was first leaked and it is an amazing engine, you will start seeing it pop up more in other builds.

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're one of those who hears of one person with an issue with their truck, and jumps straight to ALL trucks having that issue.

If that were even remotely the case, none of the "big three" manufacturers would be in business. Any significant failure rate would put any of these companies into bankruptcy.

The reality is these trucks are overwhelmingly reliable. You can't let the corner cases scare you away or else you may as well just not get out of bed in the morning, because the entire world is like that.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mellow wrote:

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the 7.3 gas engine, its new so it will have some hiccups, but Ford is doing a good job of fixing issues.

Concur ! The spark plug wire issue was only the first few months of production. Hiccups always occur on brand new models.

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a '06 6.0 ford diesel and it works great, WHEN IT RUNS. I have less than 150,000 on it, bought it new and have spent about 1-$2000 every 6 months with some sort of repair. $16K to date. Like I said, the truck is great WHEN IT RUNS. At the current price of trucks, can't afford a new one on retirement income, but who says a new one would be any better?

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joelc wrote:

I have a '06 6.0 ford diesel and it works great, WHEN IT RUNS. I have less than 150,000 on it, bought it new and have spent about 1-$2000 every 6 months with some sort of repair. $16K to date.

I suggest you to hang out at Ford-trucks.com to figure out what you are doing wrong. There isn’t a lot of reason to need to spend 1-2 K every 6 months on a 6.0.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gooma wrote:

The competition among truck manufacturers is so fierce they all have to build reliable trucks. Most internet reviews are worthless. You only read about the problems. People buy a new truck, and if everything is fine with it no one ever writes a review, but something goes wrong and it' blasted all over the internet.
Drive them all, buy what you like, and let us all know every little nit picking detail when something goes wrong.

Quite often I read forum opinions written by long time member, who bought new vehicle. He naturally compares it to older model he drove and such opinions have the highest value in my books.
Obviously the 1st time buyer of new vehicle will not show on the forum till warranty expires.
I love the 6.7 Powerstroke for its performance, but oil pan leak at 20k miles was very upsetting.
Recently I added 1922 Ford Model T to my stable.
When the roadster looks all original, it is very reliable vehicle.
Took me 2 minutes to remove generator from it and no oil pan leak, even most of engine seals are felt.
Than the engine was design with no air filter and no oil filter, giving it about 4000 miles between overhauls.
That what was consider reliable 99 years ago.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Americamper wrote:

I read nothing but problems out of new trucks now. The new Ford 7.3 gas engine that I had hopes for has spark plug wiring harness problems. Chevy gas engines are still using the deal where they drop cylinders out and it leads to engine failure. My son lost an engine because of this. I don't know about Rams. I currently have a 2000 Ford F250 7.3 with 160000 miles that is running great but just wondering about others experiences on newer trucks.

I went from the 7.3 diesel to the newer 6.7, best upgrade I ever made.
they all have little issues, but I dont think I have had one with my 6.7 thats been a big deal. everything covered by warenty next time i was home and could get it in.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Americamper wrote:

I read nothing but problems out of new trucks now. The new Ford 7.3 gas engine that I had hopes for has spark plug wiring harness problems. Chevy gas engines are still using the deal where they drop cylinders out and it leads to engine failure. My son lost an engine because of this. I don't know about Rams. I currently have a 2000 Ford F250 7.3 with 160000 miles that is running great but just wondering about others experiences on newer trucks.

None of the Chevy/GMC HD trucks ever had the drop cylinders function. The tried and true 6.0 gasser is a brute that keeps going and going. The new 6.6 has nothing but positive comments from what I have read on multiple forums where folks are quick to beat any little issue to death.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anyone making a reliable new truck now?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.