Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Solar setup questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

 > Solar setup questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
jawsthemeswimming428

USA

Full Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/24/21 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Zamp inlet on the side of my RV. We don't dry camp often but I'd like something to help us make it through the weekend when we do. Mainly using fridge on propane, minimal lights, water pump, and possibly some charging via 12v cigarette port. In this use case, we typically make it almost 2 days. I just want something to keep the battery going for another day or so. Here is what I came up with:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MW1M1VB/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=boatprojcom-20&linkId=75815e74077f2cff7e05e3a8997afac1&language=en_US

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JVBVL3/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-10AWG-Extension-Female-connectors/dp/B00JPK3MBA/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1KI28O82WCXQN&dchild=1&keywords=mc4+extension+cable+15+feet&qid=1616607912&sprefix=15%27+mc4+ex%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-3

Am I missing something? The adapter will allow the charge controller to plug in to the Zamp outlet. The charge controller will be mounted to the back of the panel and connect to it. I've read that it's better to have the charge controller closer to the battery but due to the location of the Zamp port I don't think that's an option for me (not wanting to rewire since it is a minimal use case). Am I missing a connection somewhere? Trying to wrap my head around how and where everything will plug in. Any advice is appreciated!

Also saw the Harbor Freight 100w kit and was wondering if that would work in my scenario? What other parts would I need? Thanks again!

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/24/21 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This WindyNation 100 watt kit is $146.00.

https://www.windynation.com/Polycrystalline-Solar-Kits/Windy-Nation-Inc/Eco-Solar-Kit-100-Watt-12-Volt-Solar-Panel-with-User-Settable-LCD-Charge-Controller-RV-Boat-Off-Grid/-/641?p=YzE9NDY=


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad


Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 10/30/2015

View Profile



Posted: 03/24/21 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clicky #1
Clicky #2
Clicky #3

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

Senior Member

Joined: 08/09/2008

View Profile



Posted: 03/24/21 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To answer your last question first, yes Harbor Freight's 100W kit would work as well, just more cumbersome to carry around and set-up. The Renogy solar suitcase is less than 6" folded up, protected by a rugged case and packs easily in passthrough storage, truck bed, or even the backseat behind driver. I know these details as I purchased this nearly eight years ago to supplement the 200 watts on the roof, and to move around on cloudy days or when RVing under foliage.

You can place solar controller anywhere you like, I left controller on rear of panels and wired a connection directly to battery posts, about 6" long they are easily accessible when I implement the solar suitcase. Wiring from controller is just 2 feet long, we use provided extension cord to connect it all. Definitely rugged, flew off truck's metal tonneau cover a couple of times. 5 minutes to set-up, 100 watts restores a single battery well, or keep 2 batteries topped off.

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

Senior Member

Joined: 05/02/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/24/21 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jawsthemeswimming428 wrote:

I have a Zamp inlet on the side of my RV. We don't dry camp often but I'd like something to help us make it through the weekend when we do. Mainly using fridge on propane, minimal lights, water pump, and possibly some charging via 12v cigarette port. In this use case, we typically make it almost 2 days. I just want something to keep the battery going for another day or so. Here is what I came up with:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MW1M1VB/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=boatprojcom-20&linkId=75815e74077f2cff7e05e3a8997afac1&language=en_US

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JVBVL3/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-10AWG-Extension-Female-
connectors/dp/B00JPK3MBA/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1KI28O82WCXQN&dchild=1&keywords=mc4+extension+cable+15+feet&qid=1616607912&sprefix=15%27+mc4+ex%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-3

Am I missing something? The adapter will allow the charge controller to plug in to the Zamp outlet. The charge controller will be mounted to the back of the panel and connect to it. I've read that it's better to have the charge controller closer to the battery but due to the location of the Zamp port I don't think that's an option for me (not wanting to rewire since it is a minimal use case). Am I missing a connection somewhere? Trying to wrap my head around how and where everything will plug in. Any advice is appreciated!

Also saw the Harbor Freight 100w kit and was wondering if that would work in my scenario? What other parts would I need? Thanks again!


It doesn't sound like you will have a hard time coming up with enough chargability with a portable solar or two. Something I didn't see was the configuration, condition and age of your battery bank. You can have a nice solar charge setup but if your bank is weak you won't make it three days. Also,I attached a link(you'll have to copy and paste it)that gives you everything you need to make a real nice portable 200w setup with a parts list, prices, links and instructions.

https://www.adventurousway.com/blog/diy-portable-solar-panel


V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

ajriding

st clair

Senior Member

Joined: 12/28/2004

View Profile



Posted: 03/24/21 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ebay has everything on their site too.
Just suck it up and put solar on your roof and always maintain the batteries without having to haul a lot of junk in and out every stop.
Yes, put the controller close to the batteries. The voltage coming off most panels is 18 volts, and the controller will drop that to around 13.x volts. Higher volts can travel further with less loss.
If two panels, then run them in series to make 37 volts and the controller will drop that down to 13.x volts.

jawsthemeswimming428

USA

Full Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/25/21 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

This WindyNation 100 watt kit is $146.00.

https://www.windynation.com/Polycrystalline-Solar-Kits/Windy-Nation-Inc/Eco-Solar-Kit-100-Watt-12-Volt-Solar-Panel-with-User-Settable-LCD-Charge-Controller-RV-Boat-Off-Grid/-/641?p=YzE9NDY=


Forgot to mention I want some type of suitcase setup. Not looking to mount to roof and want something easily packable.

jawsthemeswimming428

USA

Full Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/25/21 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sandia Man wrote:

To answer your last question first, yes Harbor Freight's 100W kit would work as well, just more cumbersome to carry around and set-up. The Renogy solar suitcase is less than 6" folded up, protected by a rugged case and packs easily in passthrough storage, truck bed, or even the backseat behind driver. I know these details as I purchased this nearly eight years ago to supplement the 200 watts on the roof, and to move around on cloudy days or when RVing under foliage.

You can place solar controller anywhere you like, I left controller on rear of panels and wired a connection directly to battery posts, about 6" long they are easily accessible when I implement the solar suitcase. Wiring from controller is just 2 feet long, we use provided extension cord to connect it all. Definitely rugged, flew off truck's metal tonneau cover a couple of times. 5 minutes to set-up, 100 watts restores a single battery well, or keep 2 batteries topped off.


Good point, portability/packability is definitely a plus. So, if I wanted, I could just leave the controller on the back of the panels then plug in to Zamp port after reversing polarity if I get the Renology correct?

jawsthemeswimming428

USA

Full Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/25/21 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vintage465 wrote:

jawsthemeswimming428 wrote:

I have a Zamp inlet on the side of my RV. We don't dry camp often but I'd like something to help us make it through the weekend when we do. Mainly using fridge on propane, minimal lights, water pump, and possibly some charging via 12v cigarette port. In this use case, we typically make it almost 2 days. I just want something to keep the battery going for another day or so. Here is what I came up with:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MW1M1VB/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=boatprojcom-20&linkId=75815e74077f2cff7e05e3a8997afac1&language=en_US

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JVBVL3/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-10AWG-Extension-Female-
connectors/dp/B00JPK3MBA/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1KI28O82WCXQN&dchild=1&keywords=mc4+extension+cable+15+feet&qid=1616607912&sprefix=15%27+mc4+ex%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-3

Am I missing something? The adapter will allow the charge controller to plug in to the Zamp outlet. The charge controller will be mounted to the back of the panel and connect to it. I've read that it's better to have the charge controller closer to the battery but due to the location of the Zamp port I don't think that's an option for me (not wanting to rewire since it is a minimal use case). Am I missing a connection somewhere? Trying to wrap my head around how and where everything will plug in. Any advice is appreciated!

Also saw the Harbor Freight 100w kit and was wondering if that would work in my scenario? What other parts would I need? Thanks again!


It doesn't sound like you will have a hard time coming up with enough chargability with a portable solar or two. Something I didn't see was the configuration, condition and age of your battery bank. You can have a nice solar charge setup but if your bank is weak you won't make it three days. Also,I attached a link(you'll have to copy and paste it)that gives you everything you need to make a real nice portable 200w setup with a parts list, prices, links and instructions.

https://www.adventurousway.com/blog/diy-portable-solar-panel


I have a single Group 31 sealed lead acid. The battery was just purchased last year. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

Senior Member

Joined: 07/06/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/01/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll learn to hate portable... For the money, I'd install rooftop as well. They can always come off if you upgrade. My panels are on their third coach, and work for me every day the coach isn't plugged into the truck or shore power. Don't have to worry about some yahoo stealing them from my campsite if we go kayaking or exploring.

I'd suggest a second battery. I use Group 27's because that's what fit in our motorhome before we scrapped it, but having two batteries is far more reliable than just one.

* This post was edited 04/01/21 09:25pm by lane hog *



  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit



Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

 > Solar setup questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.