Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carrying extra fuel in garage

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone do this?
At first I thought no way... Then it occured to me that the toys have fuel in them, and they are in the garage. I would of course run with the wall vents open.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW
21 REPLIES 21

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Sounds like some of y'all should fix the gas leaks on your "toys"....
I don't believe that it's coincidence that in 20 years almost of storing bikes and sleds in enclosed trailers, year round, I never have smelled gasoline fumes inside unless something was leaking or I was filling the tanks.

Me too. Before this TH with a fuel station i carried my fuel in jugs in the bed of my SxS. I had no smell inside the trailer.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
lincster wrote:
Wow. Are you going to Antarctica or something?

I would just go buy fuel and/or propane.
LOL. Close.
The north rim. The highway in has a locked gate. Propane and gas may or may not be available without a long drive. Basically we need to take what we expect to need with us. I hate to waste a day running around after supplies.

I once had the propane regulator fail at the begining of a hunt there. Temps were in the low teens, and no propane getting past the regulator meant no heat. I had to run into Flagstaff to get a new one. That wasted an entire day, and a lot of fuel. I now carry a spare.

I totally get carrying spare parts.
I used to live in Page so I know the area you are talking about.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:

LOL. Close.
The north rim. The highway in has a locked gate. Propane and gas may or may not be available without a long drive. Basically we need to take what we expect to need with us. I hate to waste a day running around after supplies.

I once had the propane regulator fail at the begining of a hunt there. Temps were in the low teens, and no propane getting past the regulator meant no heat. I had to run into Flagstaff to get a new one. That wasted an entire day, and a lot of fuel. I now carry a spare.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

lincster
Explorer
Explorer

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Look at killing all the 12v in the house (even if the gas is in the toy's tank). I wouldn't trust these devices to be ignition protected.

Obviously, you need to keep brakes & brake lights connected.

Look at killing all the 12v in the house (FRIG) = Runs off the house batteries.

That's just silly. that post was from a non-toy hauler I'm sure.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
wopachop wrote:
Only issue will be smelling gas if you need to sleep in the toyhauler with toys in it.
The toys come out at camp. The garage becomes a dining/sleeping area
I hear you. Typing this inside a toyhauler sitting in the garage/dining area. Gas cans can seal really good. If yours dont you can buy the big black oring for the main cap. If the little vent doesnt seal you can probably buy that as well. I recommend buying the green nitrile oring set from harbor freight. That set has saved me so many times. I fixed a darn leaking kureig coffee machine once with them. There is a size that works perfect for the gas can vent.

The toys actually have a vent that can fail. Its supposed to allow air into the gas tank, but not let fumes out. Ive had to sleep in my trailer with toys in the garage and its not fun. Those fumes are no good. My trailer has a front bedroom and even with the doors shut and windows open i will taste gasoline in my mouth for days.

Point being gas cans should seal 100%. Storing them inside your toyhauler is no big deal if done safely. Ive read the plastic itself is pourous. So its horrible for long term storage. But traveling with a common 5g gas can inside the toyhauler is very common.
I have done a lot of automotive AC work. As result, I have an awesome O ring collection.:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
I don't do this.
I put my extra fuel in the bed of my truck.

I carry 60 gallons in cans in the bed and still have plenty of room for wood etc.
The bed already has B&W Companion, and 60 gallon aux. diesel tank. I am bringing 5 spare propane tanks, and then will fill the rest of the bed with fuel.
If it all fits, great. If not it will go in the garage. I have good fuel jugs that seal tight, and will open the garage vents.

This is a pretty long stay for us. We will on shorter stays top 1000 miles on each of our two quads. At 25 MPG, that is 80 gallons right there. It will likely be more than that this time. Perhaps 120 gallons Then there is generator fuel. That can vary a lot depending on the weather. A minimum though is likely a gallon a day. So at least another 20 gallons. Triple that in bad weather. Total is likely 140 gallons in good weather 180 gallons in bad weather. The Momentum tanks hold 60 gallons. So worst case we would need 120 gallons more. I only have 85 gallons worth of jugs though. Hope the weather isn't bad the entire trip.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sounds like some of y'all should fix the gas leaks on your "toys"....
I don't believe that it's coincidence that in 20 years almost of storing bikes and sleds in enclosed trailers, year round, I never have smelled gasoline fumes inside unless something was leaking or I was filling the tanks.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
wopachop wrote:
Only issue will be smelling gas if you need to sleep in the toyhauler with toys in it.
I hear you. Typing this inside a toyhauler sitting in the garage/dining area. Gas cans can seal really good. If yours dont you can buy the big black oring for the main cap. If the little vent doesnt seal you can probably buy that as well. I recommend buying the green nitrile oring set from harbor freight. That set has saved me so many times. I fixed a darn leaking kureig coffee machine once with them. There is a size that works perfect for the gas can vent.

The toys actually have a vent that can fail. Its supposed to allow air into the gas tank, but not let fumes out. Ive had to sleep in my trailer with toys in the garage and its not fun. Those fumes are no good. My trailer has a front bedroom and even with the doors shut and windows open i will taste gasoline in my mouth for days.

Point being gas cans should seal 100%. Storing them inside your toyhauler is no big deal if done safely. Ive read the plastic itself is pourous. So its horrible for long term storage. But traveling with a common 5g gas can inside the toyhauler is very common.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
I don't do this.
I put my extra fuel in the bed of my truck.

I carry 60 gallons in cans in the bed and still have plenty of room for wood etc.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Look at killing all the 12v in the house (even if the gas is in the toy's tank). I wouldn't trust these devices to be ignition protected.

Obviously, you need to keep brakes & brake lights connected.

Look at killing all the 12v in the house (FRIG) = Runs off the house batteries.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
2.5 weeks. Man. That sounds great.

Will you really run out of propane?
Depends on how cold it is. The weather fluctuates a lot on the North Rim, and there are no weather reports worthwhile. I am bringing five 5gal spare tanks. Some of the coldest temps we have ever camped in were there.
And it is not just about the money. I hate to give up a day of hunting chasing down supplies. And there have been years when the station was out of fuel. The Park is officially closed with a locked gate across the highway
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires