cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram "limp Mode"... Again!

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
So I am in a windfall of bad luck. First our camper goes to keystone for a new floor, then it comes back in terrible condition, dealer works hard to correct the **** job Keystone did to get it back just in time for us to leave from PA to FL (tomorrow!). On the way home from the dealer and 2 miles from home... Boom, stuck in 4th. This happened last October and it was fixed by replacing the Trans solenoid and control box. I drop it off at the dealer last night with a letter begging them to squeeze me in since we leave Thursday. Dealer fits me in and calls me at the end of the day. Bad news... The code said solenoid again. Tech replaced it, road tested, Limp mode again! Tech tested wiring and believes it to be good. Tech calls the factory support and they say it is very unlikely the control box would fail again but that is the last thing to try, but of course the part is 2 days out and will arrive 1-2pm at the earliest on Friday. So now we are calling campgrounds trying to either get a refund for a day or some sort of credit and push back our trip while we wait for something the dealer does not feel confident will fix the problem. If that does not work then the trans apparently needs to come out, all wires tested, etc.

Not sure how I got stuck in this sudden cycle of bad luck! Sorry for the rant, just figured I'd share. Truck is a 2018 Ram2500 6.4L Gas by the way. Love the truck but right now I'm hoping it catches fire ๐Ÿ˜‰
33 REPLIES 33

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
since it's running now, perhaps it's a good time to move on from Dodge?
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dumping it while used truck values are high only works if you're selling the truck and don't need to replace it. Otherwise it's just like any other time: A wash.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
if this was a Ford or GM problem thread the Ram guys would be all over how those trucks are junk....

Anyways to the OP, its a miserable situation to be in and as others have said, trucks are selling for higher values right now so if you're even thinking of dumping it your timing is good, otherwise i hope they get you taken care of and back to doing what we all love - RVing!
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I'm going to think about your post here the next time I'm in stop and go traffic and my knee starts to hurt from using the clutch. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I do wish you the best of luck!
Stop and go traffic occurs much more frequently then fluke transmissions.

Yes it will slow you down, but won't leave you stranded!

My G56 did
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Good luck with the repair and to get that trip started.

BTW... The arguments for a manual transmission are absolutely ridiculous.

Here I go going to agree with Fish! :S

I do agree that a manual nowadays is not going to be as good as an automatic.
In the case of our 2001 Ram 2500 CTD, yes the manual was the better choice. Much stronger than the automatics then.
No towing with the Aisin and could not be happier.
I have heard of issues with the 68REF valve bodies and solenoids.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear. Yes, wiring issues on anything new can cause crazy issues. Hopefully he check engine light isnโ€™t anything big.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quick update...

So they did find the issue right before our trip. Turned out it was a wiring issue from the PCM to the solenoid. Apparently the factory support group reached back out to the dealer with a "try replacing this wire". They did that and it fixed the limp mode issue. We towed from PA to FL and back without any truck running issues. Now the check engine light did come back on on our way home so the truck is back in the shop, but it was nothing obvious. Seemed to run fine so hopefully a small warranty issue.
To those saying ditch the truck, I really don't want to. I really like the truck and with it having 4:10 rear it tows far better than I had expected a gasser to tow. I have owned diesels in the past and even during a 1000 mile tow I do not find myself wishing for another truck. I really have no complaints until I started with this whole limp mode issue and now this engine light issue, so I hope they get it figured out and I am good to go. Even if I wanted to trade it I still owe a lot on it, the dealer has 3 or 4 heavy duty trucks on the lot right now, and what they do have offers minimal discounts. My local GMC dealer has 1 Heavy duty and the Ford dealer has 2. All 3 dealers typically have an entire lot filled with dozens.
Anyway, thanks for all the help, just figured I'd share that it turned out to be a wiring issue.

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
Geo*Boy wrote:
Listen to your wife.:W

๐Ÿ™‚
She's also the one who told me to keep my F350 after I bought the ram. Her actual words were "sell the XJR. I hate that car and I love driving your truck."

She even suggested buying something different - not another truck - because the F350 is good enough for towing. Now that we live much closer to our favorite areas (short one day drive instead of 2 or 3), maybe getting another new truck doesn't make sense.

All I need is something that's 4WD/AWD for the winter.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
To the OP, trucks are selling for a lot of money right now. Iโ€™d ditch the 6 speed Ram 2500 in a hot minute. Get top dollar and be done. 64rfe is not a very good trans, not unlike basically every other in house Chrysler trans since the 80s, lol.
Even the ones that work, are clunky, poorly executed examples of automatic transmissions.

JMO

Iโ€™m a Mopar guy and wouldnโ€™t recommend any 46/47/48/545/64/68 re transmission without a word of caution backing it up.

I have a 68rfe behind a tuned diesel right now and while it is solid or appears to be, itโ€™s still an ill shifting poor example and itโ€™s actually tuned to help some of those issues !
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Devo the dog wrote:
CaLBaR wrote:

If this dealer can't get the TSB right then I would try a different dealer. I have 4 within a 30 minute drive so if I continue to have problems with one dealer I go to the next. I also checked out "Rate My Dealer" on line after I bought my 2019 and have been going to the same dealer with the best ratings in my area. So far so good.

Been there. Done that.
The first dealer, first problem, took three dealer visits and couldn't get the problem fixed. And, it's in writing. The problem that the 3 month old truck had still exists and is a dealer documented problem that the factory can't fix (yet).
The 2nd dealer, which is the dealer I bought the truck from, couldn't get the emissions recall done.
The 3rd dealer got the emissions recall done. But, they're a Ford dealer who services rams. They are now 750 miles away.
The 4th dealer is a new dealer because we moved 3 states away. I'm giving them a 2nd chance. Yes. This is trip #2.
But they just struck out. I made an appointment two weeks ago for the 2nd recall, and to review what it will take to get the rest of the problems fixed. Actually, ram care setup the appointment. and I'm just the foolish owner that delivers my truck. Once they determine what it will take to get everything else fixed, we'll setup an appointment for that stuff, most of which have TSBs. In other words, get the recall done, review the other problems, call and let me know the status, and we'll setup another time because parts are short in supply because of the almighty corona, the new god of dumb-ass democrats.

I just heard from ram. Keep in mind, they know why the truck is there. Dropped it off last night.

I just got a call. The report is that they will call me on Monday with the status.

Hmmm. The recall fix requires removal of a few bolts to bolt on a new bed step. Yet, they had me setup an appointment so it could sit there for 4 days.

So, if I was to follow your logic, I should take it to another dealer, which would actually be dealer #6 because I didn't mention one other dealer above.

My wife's response was "Get rid of it."

We have owned many cars over the years from many different manufactures. This is the first time I have had consistent problems in which the biggest problem is the inability of several dealers to get stuff done. Maybe this just typical ram service, which is why so many longtime dodge owners hate dodge/ram dealerships.

I'm done with ram and I wish there was better inventory and I'd buy a new Ford this weekend. But, I guess the new normal is 50 states filled with too many pajama wearing bye-don wussies afraid of catching a cold. So, I guess I'll have to take my time.

All new info that I can understand your frustration with for sure. I would be frustrated too and thinking of getting rid of it. I believe you guys in the US have a Lemon Law that we don't have in Canada. Not sure how it works but seems like you might be a good candidate for it.

Good luck moving forward with this.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Devo the dog wrote:
CaLBaR wrote:

If this dealer can't get the TSB right then I would try a different dealer. I have 4 within a 30 minute drive so if I continue to have problems with one dealer I go to the next. I also checked out "Rate My Dealer" on line after I bought my 2019 and have been going to the same dealer with the best ratings in my area. So far so good.

Been there. Done that.
The first dealer, first problem, took three dealer visits and couldn't get the problem fixed. And, it's in writing. The problem that the 3 month old truck had still exists and is a dealer documented problem that the factory can't fix (yet).
The 2nd dealer, which is the dealer I bought the truck from, couldn't get the emissions recall done.
The 3rd dealer got the emissions recall done. But, they're a Ford dealer who services rams. They are now 750 miles away.
The 4th dealer is a new dealer because we moved 3 states away. I'm giving them a 2nd chance. Yes. This is trip #2.
But they just struck out. I made an appointment two weeks ago for the 2nd recall, and to review what it will take to get the rest of the problems fixed. Actually, ram care setup the appointment. and I'm just the foolish owner that delivers my truck. Once they determine what it will take to get everything else fixed, we'll setup an appointment for that stuff, most of which have TSBs. In other words, get the recall done, review the other problems, call and let me know the status, and we'll setup another time because parts are short in supply because of the almighty corona, the new god of dumb-ass democrats.

I just heard from ram. Keep in mind, they know why the truck is there. Dropped it off last night.

I just got a call. The report is that they will call me on Monday with the status.

Hmmm. The recall fix requires removal of a few bolts to bolt on a new bed step. Yet, they had me setup an appointment so it could sit there for 4 days.

So, if I was to follow your logic, I should take it to another dealer, which would actually be dealer #6 because I didn't mention one other dealer above.

We have owned many cars over the years from many different manufactures. This is the first time I have had consistent problems in which the biggest problem is the inability of several dealers to get stuff done. Maybe this just typical ram service, which is why so many longtime dodge owners hate dodge/ram dealerships.

I'm done with ram and I wish there was better inventory and I'd buy a new Ford this weekend. But, I guess the new normal is 50 states filled with too many pajama wearing bye-don wussies afraid of catching a cold. So, I guess I'll have to take my time.
With all the documentation you should be able to get it classified as a lemon and get a buy back so you don't lose money. Years ago had a co-worker do that with a GM truck that was a similar situation, funny thing is that is the only brand he will purchase.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Listen to your wife.:W

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
CaLBaR wrote:

Been there. Done that.

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Devo the dog wrote:
kfp673 wrote:

...Not sure how I got stuck in this sudden cycle of bad luck! Sorry for the rant, just figured I'd share. Truck is a 2018 Ram2500 6.4L Gas by the way. Love the truck but right now I'm hoping it catches fire ๐Ÿ˜‰

I have 2019 Ram. Thought it was a great truck. But, when it started to have problems, plus recalls, and I had to take to the dealer, I unfortunately found out why long time dodge owners hate dodge/ram dealerships.

I don't know if the root cause of the problem is the manufacture or just a huge amount of incompetent dealerships, but it frustrating when you own a truck with a warranty that has problems that aren't fixed.

I started having problems last year. Except for a couple problems, all are common and for that reason, TSBs exist. I didn't complain on the forums because I knew that wouldn't solve anything. But a year later, my truck still has the same problems and now has more problems. My complaint isn't really about the truck and the problems. Yes it has problems. But the real problem is the dealerships and the manufacture.

Tonight, I'm taking it back to a dealer again. Hopefully, they are able to address and fix the problems that have TSBs, address and fix a check engine light that comes on and is on again, take care of recall #2, etc.

I'm not confident that it'll go well. It's already been there once to address recall# 2 . And, they didn't get it done the first time. LOL.

My guess is that it'll be at the dealership for a few weeks. Who knows.

2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller