Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing seized shackle bolts?

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All,

Looking for recommendations. I purchased the MorRyde CRE3000 with wet bolt / shackle kit. Jacked the camper up and the axels up, pulled the wheels, and did not get past the first shackle bolt. I have an air impact and a battery impact and could not get it to brake lose. It just spun. It was getting dark so I just put the wheel back on. I do not have a torch, so is there any other way for me to get these off? We leave for a trip in a few days and I would really like to have this installed, however because we leave so soon I also don't want to get my self in a half finished project situation.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
58 REPLIES 58

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
I suggested several times on this forum to cut a figure 8 inside the bushing to allow the grease to distribute away from the grease hole. You can't get enough pressure to force it thru a tightly blocked hole. Expect more joints to stop flowing as the wear will cause a better match and more perfect blocking.
I am not sure how to cut a figure 8 inside the bushing... I did file a relief or chamfer around the grease exit to help the flow.

Use a Dremel with a ball burr. It doesn't need to be fancy and don't make it very deep as the bushings are thin. Also, don't run the groove completely to the end or the grease will take the easy path right out.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
I suggested several times on this forum to cut a figure 8 inside the bushing to allow the grease to distribute away from the grease hole. You can't get enough pressure to force it thru a tightly blocked hole. Expect more joints to stop flowing as the wear will cause a better match and more perfect blocking.
I am not sure how to cut a figure 8 inside the bushing... I did file a relief or chamfer around the grease exit to help the flow.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I suggested several times on this forum to cut a figure 8 inside the bushing"

That is a GREAT idea!!! May never use it now as I have MORryde IS on my RV and Dexter TrokFlex on my Boat and Motorcycle trailers.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Have heard stories of bolts not drilled completely. Also bolt holes under pressure may not pass the grease through. Try unloading them first then probably need to remove for inspection.

This worked. Jacked it up enough to take some of the weight off and the remaining zerks took grease. Still had to play with the angle and pressure of the connection but it worked. Thanks again all

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
First remove Zerk and see if grease flows thru it.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have heard stories of bolts not drilled completely. Also bolt holes under pressure may not pass the grease through. Try unloading them first then probably need to remove for inspection.

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
As stated, I finished the project last weekend and thought I was 100% done but it turns out I am 99% and that last 1% is giving me fits. Installing the new equalizer and wet bolt kit ends up giving me 14 zerk fittings to grease total. 10 of them are no problem but 4 just will not take grease. They are brand new so it's not old grease. Used a small pin/nail to poke the dot and that did not help. Tried for a while yesterday and again today and all I get is a mess around the zerk. Any tricks to fix this without pulling the zerk or bolt?

Thanks!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRscooby wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Glad you got it handled. Grinder and slitting disk would have saved you a lot of stress and exhaustion.

Oh!! , but it's more fun with a cheater pipe ,and busted knuckles . :B

Inexperienced operator in close space that spinning wheel can do more than bust knuckles.

Heavy gloves, long sleeve jacket and eye protection along with a bit of practice to get the โ€œfeelโ€ of how the grinder reacts goes a long way.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Glad you got it handled. Grinder and slitting disk would have saved you a lot of stress and exhaustion.

Inexperienced operator in close space that spinning wheel can do more than bust knuckles.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Many times it is Justas easy to overtorque and snap the bolt. Harbor Freight tools are an excellent choice for these one off jobs.

fj40cruiser
Explorer
Explorer
I like to tie a plastic bag around and fill with jb80 and let it soak for a couple days.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III