cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6 passenger toad for gas rv

thegrindstaffs
Explorer
Explorer
We are in an interesting spot. We have 4 children so we need something with 6 seats, yet we also have a gasoline motorhome with a 5,000 lb tow limit. Any ideas out there on vehicles that would fit out needs?

Thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Back to the OP's question, I would suggest the FORD FLEX. It has 3 row seating for 7, is 4down towable, and weighs slightly less than 5000 lbs. Perfect for what you need.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
DO NOT EVER TOW A VEHICLE BACKWARDS ON A TOW DOLLY! THIS CREATES AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND POTENTIALLY LETHAL SITUATION!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Jarlaxle wrote:

Note that U-Haul dollies can top out around 4500lbs, and they do NOT have brakes.

And if yer pullin more than that, don't tell Uhaul. Tell'em you're tugging a Honda or Kia or something not your F150. They get a big case of the No's with that.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Groover wrote:
You can tow a rearwheel drive vehicle loaded backwards, just be sure to lash the steering wheel in place. Don't count on the steering wheel lock to hold it while towing backwards.

Kids, don't count on this as a blanket statement good solution.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Groover wrote:
thegrindstaffs wrote:
oh really?? We would be completely fine with that. there's really no downside is there? other than having a dolly at the campsite.

That is the main disadvantage. I strongly suggest that you get one with brakes. Even towing behind a motorhome I like having all of the brakes that I can get. Anything that weighs over 3,500lbs is supposed to have brakes in most states but many dollies do not and use the excuse that the dolly is rated for less the 3,000lbs. Nevermind the other axle of the vehicle or the fact that many dollies do end up with more than 3,000lbs on them.

The other downsides are that you do have an extra piece equipment to maintain, that can be a pain to load and unload, they add about 450lbs to your rig, they sit low and are prone to dragging, you need to put magnetic lights on the vehicle being towed and worst of all, you have to crawl under them in whatever weather situation that you are in to tie down the vehicle that you are towing.

On the flip side, they don't cost much more than adding brakes to a toad, no vehicle alterations are required and you can back them up a little if you have a backup camera that lets you watch for a jacknife situation. You can tow a rearwheel drive vehicle loaded backwards, just be sure to lash the steering wheel in place. Don't count on the steering wheel lock to hold it while towing backwards.

Note that U-Haul dollies can top out around 4500lbs, and they do NOT have brakes.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me that, at least upon arrival at a campsite, there'd be little or no need to back up a tow dolly...generally campgrounds (in my experience) aren't so busy that blocking a lane on the camping loop for a few minutes would cause any huge problem

Wouldn't it make the most sense, upon arrival, just to stay straight on the camping loop road, pull the car off the dolly and put it wherever...then unhook the dolly from the motorhome and hand-push it onto the site? and, last, position the MH in the site?

I've only used car dollies through UHaul, but to my recollection they're so light on the hitch that they can just be picked up by hand at the coupler and shoved or pulled around
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
Is backing up with a dolly easy, Groover?

Easy is relative. A short trailer like a dolly can jackknife very quickly. However, by using the backup camera on my motorhome I have been successful backing it into campsites and that generally helps get it out of the way. I do have over 40 years experience backing trailers and it still needs to be planned somewhat carefully. The amount of rear overhang on a motorhome actually helps by giving you immediate response at the hitch when you turn the steering wheel. Backing up the dolly with the car still on it is even trickier but I have gotten out of a few tight spots that way also. If you jackknife with the car on the dolly you mess up a lot of stuff so do it slowly and very carefully. And never forget to be aware of what the front end of your motorhome may be swinging into.

The rule when backing up is to always drive what is in front(considering the direction that you are going) and the rest will follow. When just backing up a trailer or dolly, drive the trailer. With a car on the dolly drive the car and the dolly will follow along with the motorhome. But watch out for the jackknife in both locations! I don't recommend doing the combo further than absolutely necessary to avoid an obstacle keeping you from going frontwards.

At least starting out it is a good idea to lay out a path to follow while backing up. A high visibility rope laid out in a curve from where you are stopped leading to where you want to be can be very useful.

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
FWD minivan on a tow dolly.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 13 Explorer. Seats 7 and is flat towable. I believe the GM mid size SUV's are also flat towable and seat 6. 4WD isn't needed for these SUV's. Just put the shifter in N.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Is backing up with a dolly easy, Groover?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
thegrindstaffs wrote:
oh really?? We would be completely fine with that. there's really no downside is there? other than having a dolly at the campsite.

That is the main disadvantage. I strongly suggest that you get one with brakes. Even towing behind a motorhome I like having all of the brakes that I can get. Anything that weighs over 3,500lbs is supposed to have brakes in most states but many dollies do not and use the excuse that the dolly is rated for less the 3,000lbs. Nevermind the other axle of the vehicle or the fact that many dollies do end up with more than 3,000lbs on them.

The other downsides are that you do have an extra piece equipment to maintain, that can be a pain to load and unload, they add about 450lbs to your rig, they sit low and are prone to dragging, you need to put magnetic lights on the vehicle being towed and worst of all, you have to crawl under them in whatever weather situation that you are in to tie down the vehicle that you are towing.

On the flip side, they don't cost much more than adding brakes to a toad, no vehicle alterations are required and you can back them up a little if you have a backup camera that lets you watch for a jacknife situation. You can tow a rearwheel drive vehicle loaded backwards, just be sure to lash the steering wheel in place. Don't count on the steering wheel lock to hold it while towing backwards.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Previous generation (through 2019) Ford Explorer is flat-towable. My sister has a 2016 Explorer Sport and really likes it, and the only only issues over 80,000 miles were dealer caused (burned the clear coat removing the pinstripes and didnโ€™t put the roof rails on right the first 2 tries). It also serves as the backup bad-weather tow vehicle for my brotherโ€™s Toy Hauler.

Also the Ford Flex is flat-towable. Same platform as the Explorer but lower, and has a longer wheelbase, so itโ€™s both roomier and handles better.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

thegrindstaffs
Explorer
Explorer
great! thank you very much for the help. For no reason at all, we never considered a dolly.

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
read the article I sent a link to...it discusses 'alternatives to flat-towing', one of which is a dolly
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control