cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Changing flat tires?

RAllison
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to retire and travel with my travel trailer a lot more. Was thinking about getting another spare tire so I have 2 and a 1/2" impact to change them with. And that got me wondering how many people change their own tires and how many people wait on roadside assistance to show up.
42 REPLIES 42

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Ffor those of you saying to use a block to run the good tire on to raise the bad tire. Remember, that doesn't work on ALL axles. My las t TT had floating axles, and you could raise the good tire 18 inches, and the bad tire would still be firmly on the ground.
So doing a dry run is a great idea to see if raising the good tire will actually raise the bad tire. That's why I carry a bottle jack, and use links levelers to put it on.

Interesting! Please show what axles you have that give 18" suspension travel.

They were on my 2004 Fleetwood Pioneer. And raising either wheel would not raise the other. As I remember, they were floating axles. I haven't tried it on the TT I have now. I just go ahead and use the jack.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Terryallan wrote:
Ffor those of you saying to use a block to run the good tire on to raise the bad tire. Remember, that doesn't work on ALL axles. My las t TT had floating axles, and you could raise the good tire 18 inches, and the bad tire would still be firmly on the ground.
So doing a dry run is a great idea to see if raising the good tire will actually raise the bad tire. That's why I carry a bottle jack, and use links levelers to put it on.

Interesting! Please show what axles you have that give 18" suspension travel.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can assure all that she was totally safe doing the tasks she did. I handled the RnR of the spare and bad tire while she installed and removed the lug nuts.

She will appreciate the compliment Jerry!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hey, let's just be happy a fellow member posted a pic of his pretty lady! Would you rather she had steel toed boots, coveralls, and a dirty face.

I'd sure accept her help, if she stopped to help change my tire! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I recommend better shoes and a pair of leather utility gloves to handle a shredded tire.

I always keep a pair of gloves in my glove box. People often ask what are these for? My answer... it is a glove box, what else would you have in there?

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by a 'block.' Road cones?

Probably a deputy's car 50' behind the trailer with his strobes on.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
wowens79 wrote:
Had on blow drivers side on the interstate. Luckily a wide should, but it was like 95 degrees and humid in South Carolina. My 16 year old and I coordinated our plan before getting out of the truck. He started loosening lugs with the 4 way while I jacked. I handed home the spare as he pulled the shredded one off, slapped the new one on and dropped the Jack down. Back on the road in less than 10 min.

Trying out for a NASCAR pit crew? ๐Ÿ˜„
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
bucky wrote:
First thing I did was call the State Police non 911 number and ask for a block. They transferred me to the local Sheriff dispatcher and I had the block not 5 minutes later. .

Sometimes LEO will put their car in the lane to warn traffic of your vehicle in/near the roadway. Most often they will just order a tow.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
First thing I did was call the State Police non 911 number and ask for a block. They transferred me to the local Sheriff dispatcher and I had the block not 5 minutes later. .
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
RAllison wrote:
Getting ready to retire and travel with my travel trailer a lot more. Was thinking about getting another spare tire so I have 2 and a 1/2" impact to change them with. And that got me wondering how many people change their own tires and how many people wait on roadside assistance to show up.

One big thing I did back in the '80s was change all my RV and non rv trailers with 4k up to 6k axles was move to all LT tires. No more carrying 2 spares on road trips. No more ruined tires. Tire mileage went from 12k-15k up to 40k-50k.
The big plus was no more tire issues on any of my trailers and no more hauling two spares around.

For 7k-8k axles the Sailun S637 made for regional service trailers is commercial grade all steel ply carcass that comes in a ST235/8016 G load range at 4080 lbs/110 psi...or for more capacity the same Sailun in a ST235/85-16 G at 4400 lbs capacity. These ST tire can easily go for 50k+ miles. Carrying two spares with these tires is a waste of space and money.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been lucky so far. Have only had one flat on the RV in 20 years or so. The one we had was in a bad place on US 58 in VA with a 2 foot wide shoulder and a ravine. First thing I did was call the State Police non 911 number and ask for a block. They transferred me to the local Sheriff dispatcher and I had the block not 5 minutes later. So a shout out to Suffolk VA for the great department they have.
I found a Discount Tire store about 30 miles up the road and bought 2 new tires. TPMS did alert but it was too late, whatever I hit sliced the tire good.
This was a very new to us 5er at the time. I found out that the spare on the road side would not come out the access door on that side, I had to crawl thru from the door side to get it out. Something to check on some 5ers with the spare in the storage area.
Also this 5er has the axles mounted under the axles whereas the former Jayco had the axles mounted above the springs. Make sure if you use a ramp it will get the flat off the ground. I had to use leveling boards to make that happen.
Like someone else said, practice in your driveway. My ramp worked great on the Jayco when I was doing brake/bearing maintenance.
Puma 30RKSS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Asked the wife you want to set here..
Boy does that look like my ex! How nice to have a wifey helper along.

It is, she does whatever she can.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
Wheel bearings, if installed and maintained properly, have very little chance of failing. From my experience, bearing failures have occurred from bearings that are tightened too tight or haven't seen fresh grease in years.

This is very, very true. OTOH, more than a few millions of miles driven, much in equipment others thought to old to make a profit. Other than a flat tire I can't think of any breakdown where I had all the parts and equipment with me to solve the problem. For my camper, I will carry everything I need to fix anything that would keep me from getting it home.