Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Changing flat tires?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Changing flat tires?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/21 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I change my own on the side of the road or even the campground.
I use a 12t shorty hyd Truckers Special bottle jack with a long handle that slides under the std round tube leaf spring axle next to the Ubolt. A few pumps lifts that end of the axle and not the whole side of the trailer.
The jack came with a axle tube adapter that fits over the end of the jack.

Or I can use a old 4500 lb rated HD 2 speed scissor jack with a long handle. It also just lifts one end of the axle enough to remove the flat and mount the spare. I keep this jack in my RV trailer along with a 4 way.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/21 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a TPMS to hopefully catch a low tire in time to make it to a tire store before it is too low. But I also have a spare and a bottle jack in case I can’t. On top of that I also have Coach-net ERS, as much for the truck as the 5er. Depending on the situation, I may change it myself or call ERS.
In 13 years I have never had even a low tire.

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/21 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Use blocks....just drive the good tire up onto 3 2X8's. The flat tire will be high enough to remove and re-install. But, you might want to keep that jack around...in case both tires get mangled.

That or use Lynx Levelers and drive the good tire up on to those, then use the jack to get the bad tire off the ground.

I also really like to use these 3 ton jack with built in jack stand. You get your hydraulic jack, a good wide base, and the safety of a jack stand so you're not completely relying on the seals in the jack.

KJ

'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/21 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I had a roadside service, I would call and let them change the tire. But I'd also be prepared to change it myself when/if the roadside service couldn't/wouldn't show up. That has happened to me. Luckily I had the necessary equipment.

FWIW, I used an 8 ton bottle jack on my toyhauler and it was working to lift the wheel. I'd be skeptical of a 3 ton, until I actually had tried it out.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/21 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trailernovice wrote:

Changing your own is all well and good....and I (as I'm sure others have), have had the thrilling experience of changing a shredded tire along the highway...but that was passenger side....we're often on roads with minimal shoulder or no shoulder at all....not sure I'd be comfortable changing a driver-side flat on a trailer alongside a secondary road...my body exposed to any idiot who happens to be texting or drunk or whatever...might, if ever faced with that, consider some sort of roadside assistance...me and my family safe and out of the way

I just keep a four-way and a small hydraulic floor jack under the kitchen table

Would be better to limp along until you find a wide spot, or parking lot, so that you won't be exposed to traffic. But while you are at it change both of them, because with only one carrying the load. It will be damaged, and can blow at any time.. That is why I carry 2.
Yes I have has schredded tires on both sides. All three in their fourth year. Never again will I run a Trailer tire into its 4th year. The come off at the beginning of the fourth year, before the first trip.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/21 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With my homemade ramp I can change a tire very quickly...and do.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/21 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, as stated, i carry extra wood and blocks, 2 jacks and flares. You never kbow qhat you will need, and you never know if the spit you need to change the tire on is level. So, the extra wood bocks and jack. I also pack a tire plug kit , and a compresser.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/21 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those of you that rely on roadside assistance, what do you do when you don't have cell phone service? When I purchased my TT the first thing I did when I got home was repack the bearings. I found that my oversized trucker's t-bar would not fit onto the lug nuts because the wheels shape. I switched to carrying a set of deep well sockets and a 30" breaker bar. I also carry a 6 ton jack and blocks.
I have used my equipment more often to help someone along the road than on my own vehicles. It is only March and I have stopped 3 times already this year.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/21 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had on blow drivers side on the interstate. Luckily a wide should, but it was like 95 degrees and humid in South Carolina. My 16 year old and I coordinated our plan before getting out of the truck. He started loosening lugs with the 4 way while I jacked. I handed home the spare as he pulled the shredded one off, slapped the new one on and dropped the Jack down. Back on the road in less than 10 min.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/21 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run truck tires on my trailer and have never had a tire issue. I do carry a spare, a 1/2" drive hammer gun, and a 8 ton bottle jack. Come to think of it the only tire issue I've ever had was a blow out on my truck from a bad valve stem.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Changing flat tires?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.