Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: DVD and Blu Ray being discontinued?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

 > DVD and Blu Ray being discontinued?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/26/21 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

steveh27 wrote:

SInce I do not own a smart phone nor have a router I cannot stream. I have Dish with an external hard drive DVR with movies on it and I have a DVD library. When boondocking the DVD use takes half the power that using Dish does so I prefer that.


And I suppose you refuse to use one of those new fangled internal combustion engines. Your trusty mules have always gotten your trailer where you wanted it. [emoticon]


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/28/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/26/21 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think DVD players will be around a while longer, just not made by people like Samsung, etc. My new trailer's entertainment center (actually just a small AM/FM radio) didn't come with a DVD/CD player. I'm old and still like CD's and DVD's. Do I ordered a relatively inexpensive ($32.xx) Chinese made Ceihoit player. Very simple and plays what I want to play.

As I said, I suspect these type of players will be available for as long as I want to use them.

mileshuff wrote:

Recently Samsung has discontinued production of all blu ray players as a result of streaming taking their place.

DVD sales have also been dropping.

RV parks have never been known to handle movie streaming on WiFi. We've always watched movies on DVD or Blu Ray in our RV. Streaming is not an option. So will watching movies in our RV be phased out over the coming years?



Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Timmo!

Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 03/10/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/26/21 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And then we have the 1984 censorship fear...if Big Brother doesn't like it, then it will disappear (online). You know, all this "intersectionalism wokeism" movement that is erasing the past.

I have many CDs that were imports (Japan, Germany, Holland, etc) and the odds of finding those tunes online (much yet at 320 Kps) will be a challenge.

BTW, my old Nakamichi 1000 DAT deck was king 40 years ago--and like a fool I sold it to when I moved my audio library from cassettes to CDs.

My last thought, if Samsung changes their business model to 100% streaming, the void will be filled by another player who will make it their primary biz.


(Formerly known as SPRey)
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed


steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/26/21 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

steveh27 wrote:

SInce I do not own a smart phone nor have a router I cannot stream. I have Dish with an external hard drive DVR with movies on it and I have a DVD library. When boondocking the DVD use takes half the power that using Dish does so I prefer that.


And I suppose you refuse to use one of those new fangled internal combustion engines. Your trusty mules have always gotten your trailer where you wanted it. [emoticon]


I just gave away 80 VHS tapes, lol.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/26/21 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

steveh27 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

steveh27 wrote:

SInce I do not own a smart phone nor have a router I cannot stream. I have Dish with an external hard drive DVR with movies on it and I have a DVD library. When boondocking the DVD use takes half the power that using Dish does so I prefer that.


And I suppose you refuse to use one of those new fangled internal combustion engines. Your trusty mules have always gotten your trailer where you wanted it. [emoticon]


I just gave away 80 VHS tapes, lol.


Someone needed leveling blocks?

You've got a little time on DVD still but unless you are planning to kick the bucket soon, you might want to have a plan for it. I'm thinking 5-10yrs and we will be at about the same stage with DVD that VHS is at currently.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/26/21 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

If anything, it's going the other way where it's easier to download because they know people will simply pirate if they make it too difficult. Doesn't mean it's free.


I don't watch enough you Tube to make a membership viable.

Oh the CD that Eli is sending me.. Now on that I have a full set of MP3 Downloads... One of the benefits of purchasing from the publisher. I downloaded the files.. about 2 days before a major news events that resulted in his server being crashed back about 1990.


Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times


mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/02/2004

View Profile



Posted: 03/26/21 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

If you already have the dvd, you can make a copy and dump it on a portable hard drive. Perfectly legal to make a backup.


Yes but you have to have software that can rip past any copy protection that is found on most DVD's.


2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 01/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/27/21 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileshuff wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

If you already have the dvd, you can make a copy and dump it on a portable hard drive. Perfectly legal to make a backup.


Yes but you have to have software that can rip past any copy protection that is found on most DVD's.

In my experience, most do not have copy protection. Disney products almost always do.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

Full Member

Joined: 11/09/2020

View Profile



Posted: 03/27/21 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have hundreds of DVD and CD movie and music disk and three DVD/BluRay players from different brands and just now ordered 11 more western movie DVDs with no disgusting commercial's so I am all set and may even buy some more dirt cheap DVD players soon for future keep sake. And yes I have lots of room for the dvds and gadgets. Cheers everyone.

https://www.facebook.com/CaptBillPerkinsUNRescuePilot

* This post was edited 03/27/21 12:31pm by NamMedevac 70 *

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/02/2004

View Profile



Posted: 03/28/21 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

In my experience, most do not have copy protection. Disney products almost always do.


I haven't ripped any in several years but when I did I'd say well over 90% had protection. Required a few programs to make a good backup. Stored them all on a single drive plugged into my TV. Allowed kids to easily pick which movie they wanted without having to scratch up the DVD's!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

 > DVD and Blu Ray being discontinued?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.