Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: DVD and Blu Ray being discontinued?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

 > DVD and Blu Ray being discontinued?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/02/2004

View Profile



Posted: 04/13/21 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B$printervan wrote:

Few are. Kodi clients simply point to SMB shared folders on Debian box storing recorded tv shows/movies/music. It's so archaic it's powered down having been replaced by streaming services. Backups are what I use in van.


Windows 7 and 10 have built in capabilities to stream files to most smart TV's with no special hardware. DLNA has been in Windows since XP as one method. So I never got into anything more complicated. My NAS has apps to share to most anything. Couple Apple apps on it but don't know much about those as I don't have an Apple.


2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

pnichols

The Other California

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/14/21 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, I have around 30 full length movies stored on my smartphone and I have a USB-C to HDMI adapter so as to be able to connect the smartphone to a monitor or TV screen via an HDMI cable ... for use on our home big screen or in the RV.

(I don't waste a good movie by trying to watch it on a dinky smartphone screen.)

* This post was last edited 04/16/21 10:22am by pnichols *   View edit history


Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

B$printervan

Las Vegas

New Member

Joined: 01/17/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/14/21 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileshuff wrote:

B$printervan wrote:

Few are. Kodi clients simply point to SMB shared folders on Debian box storing recorded tv shows/movies/music. It's so archaic it's powered down having been replaced by streaming services. Backups are what I use in van.


Windows 7 and 10 have built in capabilities to stream files to most smart TV's with no special hardware. DLNA has been in Windows since XP as one method. So I never got into anything more complicated. My NAS has apps to share to most anything. Couple Apple apps on it but don't know much about those as I don't have an Apple.


I'm sure they do. DLNA has been around a long while. I've never viewed my setup as complicated. From Verizon ONT WAN port > Netgate SG-1100 pfsence Firewall/Router > Switch /s> Ubiquity WAP's and RPi's.

Verizon ONT box coax connection split among 3 HDHomeRun Prime boxes (9 tuners) and connected on network.

@ TV's, Raspberrypi, POE powered, running Liberelec/Kodi (custom EPG channel guide for Frontier) Plus 6000+ other app based channels.

No special remotes other than what's included with TV's. (Unless listing to music, Yamaha remotes)


14 RT Agile (144" MB Sprinter Van)

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/02/2004

View Profile



Posted: 04/14/21 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B$printervan wrote:


I'm sure they do. DLNA has been around a long while. I've never viewed my setup as complicated. From Verizon ONT WAN port > Netgate SG-1100 pfsence Firewall/Router > Switch /s> Ubiquity WAP's and RPi's.


That's a lot more complicated than Laptop > TV, or NAS > TV. Am able to stream anything. Am I missing something?

B$printervan

Las Vegas

New Member

Joined: 01/17/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/15/21 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileshuff wrote:

B$printervan wrote:


I'm sure they do. DLNA has been around a long while. I've never viewed my setup as complicated. From Verizon ONT WAN port > Netgate SG-1100 pfsence Firewall/Router > Switch /s> Ubiquity WAP's and RPi's.


That's a lot more complicated than Laptop > TV, or NAS > TV. Am able to stream anything. Am I missing something?


Guess the other part of the equation would be how we differ on TV reception. Where we live there's no OTA reception. Seems most with cable service are content with either using the cable service set-top box, or directly connecting the coax on their TV (DLNA).

Here's my TV with channels, RaspberryPi mounted behind TV.
https://imgur.com/5uyMCj4

This just shows some movies stored somewhere on the network. Most are recordings from HBO, Showtime and TCM (I like old movies).
https://imgur.com/jAIIojv

Here's an old video I made after removing copy protections from my recordings (Has since been patched)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VCcBcH8CrE

Some other nifty things I can do with Pi's are stream RTSP feed from our security NVR cameras. Also have these Linux powered Pi's with 9" touchscreens mounted in some walls around the house, TOSLINK/Fiber ran back to their respective AVR. Think of it as a 9" smart tv...

philh

Belleville MI

Senior Member

Joined: 05/11/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/15/21 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

some day, I'll spend some time learning how to really use those little boxes

B$printervan

Las Vegas

New Member

Joined: 01/17/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/15/21 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

some day, I'll spend some time learning how to really use those little boxes


Good beginners introduction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpJCAafw2qE

jerem0621

Tennessee

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/15/21 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m still buying VHS tapes and cassettes. Lots of old content you can’t get any other way. Plus it doesn’t disappear from the digital library magically.

As for camping I just download some shows and movies to my iPad and connect it to the TV.

Thanks,

Jeremiah.


TV- 2011 Chevy Tahoe, 2WD, Hayden transmission cooler
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control
Tekonsha Voyager brake controller (Great Brake Controller)

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~


Gdetrailer

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 04/16/21 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621 wrote:

I’m still buying VHS tapes and cassettes. Lots of old content you can’t get any other way. Plus it doesn’t disappear from the digital library magically.

As for camping I just download some shows and movies to my iPad and connect it to the TV.

Thanks,

Jeremiah.


I worked in TV/radio electronics repair shops in the late 80's into the early 90's when VHS/Beta was in it's glory..

Those days are gone and the ship has sailed, old analog video tape has been abandoned by manufacturers. You might be able to find a fe combo VHS/DVD units but those too are no longer being made.

Your VHS tapes are on life support and finding good working used VHS machines are not as easy as it used to be.. Repairing VHS machines requiring more than belts and idlers is not feasible. Might be able to find a few NOS parts if you are lucky.

I would stop buying used VHS tapes and concentrate on used DVDs.

For your current VHS collection, I would suggest you might wish to convert your library to a digital format, there are NTSC analog composite video capture devices you can buy that plug into your PCs USB port.

I would do that for any VHS video tape you have that is not available on DVD.

The clock is ticking on that old technology, myself, I have thrown out several hundred VHS tapes that I have gone through and either digitized or have replaced with DVDs. On top of that have digitized hundreds of hrs of Video 8/Hi8 8mm video tape preserving my families home movies taken on camcorder over the yrs..

I have even digitized old "Super 8" film my Dad took from the late 60's into the early '80s.. The film was deteriorating and finding good working film projectors with good bulbs for reasonable prices is a daunting task.. I ended up having to manufacture my own parts to repair a projector and then the bulb became an issue so I retrofitted a high power 50W LED in order to finish the digitization..

Even DVDs are on the death bed, the quality of DVD players on the market have gone into the ground but it is possible to "rip" DVDs into a digital file..

My old cassettes, well I have tossed out several thousand hrs worth as I replaced with CDs or digitized what is not available.. Have a few hundred hrs worth to go.

Have done the same with Reel to Reel and 8 track tapes.. Those are gone.. Sold my last Reel to Reel unit I had well over 10 yrs ago and have not looked back.

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/02/2004

View Profile



Posted: 04/16/21 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B$printervan wrote:

Guess the other part of the equation would be how we differ on TV reception. Where we live there's no OTA reception. Seems most with cable service are content with either using the cable service set-top box, or directly connecting the coax on their TV (DLNA).

Here's my TV with channels, RaspberryPi mounted behind TV.
https://imgur.com/5uyMCj4

This just shows some movies stored somewhere on the network. Most are recordings from HBO, Showtime and TCM (I like old movies).
https://imgur.com/jAIIojv

Here's an old video I made after removing copy protections from my recordings (Has since been patched)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VCcBcH8CrE


I cut the cord years ago. No cable. Couldn't justify the high cost cable companies charge. Just Wifi. Anything I can access or store on my laptop or NAS I can stream to TV. I do have a roof antenna for local broadcasts but don't watch them very often. I'm about 50 miles from broadcast antennas and pick up about 50 channels although most are in Spanish. I do subscribe to Netflix, Sling and Amazon Prime plus a ton of freebie channels thru Roku. Not sure what I'll do if prices go way up for those.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

 > DVD and Blu Ray being discontinued?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.