cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running boards + extra step

GPG52
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder if anyone has come across a possible solution.
We have a 2014 Ford F250 Super Duty, factory Running boards, 18" wheels and snow plow package which makes the unit sits a high.
PROBLEM: My wife has issues climbing into the cab. The factory running boards help, but it is still a struggle to climb in.
Question: Has anyone i)found a single step that would fit under the running board allowing a two step entry system OR ii) successfully been able to lower the factory running board? Any real life experience would be appreciated. GPG
8 REPLIES 8

GPG52
Explorer
Explorer
Thks all for your responses.
Plastic stool on a rope.... been there, done that. We were hoping for something a little more permanent.
Also we priced out the folding running board option, eeeeek very pricey may be the only alternative.
Good feedback on the frame holes and integrity of the frame especially when under load.
So seems to be a common problem with no out of the box solution.
Still looking into it.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
Amp Research power folding steps as mentioned by a previous poster does make an extended version as well as their normal version that does drop lower by 3 inches compared to the regular ones.

https://www.amp-research.com/powerstep-xl-running-board

When I take certain people in the truck I throw a small rubber maid stool in the truck to give them a second step.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I got rid of the factory tube steps as soon as I got the truck home and installed DeeZee diamond plate full length running boards. Reasons being: better rocker panel protection, wider and much longer area to step onto, sit a little lower than tube steps, better traction (but guess one could debate that). They were easy to install and still have the factory ones in shed..
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
trailernovice wrote:
...this solution would also avoid making any modifications that the next owner of your truck may not want

Don't know about others, but I bought mine for the wife and my use, not for the next owners.

If she's having difficulty then I modify. "A happy wife is a happy life"

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
something maybe like this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-Ultra-Non-Slip-Plastic-Step-Stool/122897833

Or, there's even folding ones out there...
just my two cents...for what it's worth

this solution would also avoid making any modifications that the next owner of your truck may not want
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
An out of the box solution...and might look kinda odd in use...but wouldn't it be simpler and a whole lot cheaper just to get a 12-in-high plastic 'step-on' platform and toss it into the cab when not in use? I'm talking about the sort of thing women like my wife use to reach tall kitchen cabinets...minimal expense, with no welding or bolting or anything
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen pictures of a truck that had an electric step that operated like the Class A motorhomes. It was a single step. Do not know the source or name.

I installed running boards on my F350 dually and there are extra mounting holes under the truck that one could fashion hangers to add a single stationary step that was lower than the running board if they desired. Or weld extensions to the factory brackets to extend down for another lower step. I fabricate step hangers for steps behind my running boards that I used to mount a single step to be able to stand on and access my bed tool box.

Just takes a ;little engineering and fabrication and it is very possible.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
AMP power steps drop lower than typical running boards or nerf bars.
Bout double, maybe 8โ€ drop?
Idk if that would be enough and theyโ€™re expensive to just try out.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold