cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cant find a place to stay near Harrisburg, PA, help!

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, I am out of options so I thought of posting this to see if anyone had any ideas. We need a place to camp in the Harrisburg Pa area or within half hour or so. We want to try and find a house to buy, with emphasis on "try". This alone may be impossible these days, but now since the whole world owns rv's we have no where to park that doesnt charge 60 or more dollars a night. Looking for a better monthly rate so we can survive while trying to find a house and am coming up empty. Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm stressed to the max and out of options. Any ideas?
35 REPLIES 35

riah
Explorer
Explorer
Also, somebody shared this link with me when I was inquiring if anyone new of a list of hotels and such that might offer RV plugin options: http://www.rvandtravelers.com/ - it looks like Econolodge and Rodeway Inn are in Harrisburg area and cater to truckers and maybe if nothing else opens up, you could maybe check if that might work for you temporarily. Good luck!

riah
Explorer
Explorer
Also, sometimes the Elks and similar groups (Moose, etc) allow fellow members to camp onsite (so you might need to join) but maybe that could be another outside the box option if there are any of those in that area and maybe check if there are any fairgrounds in the area, they may also have some campsites too. Plus, some hotels and such may also have options for trucks/RVs to plug-in (ie- I have heard of some in ski towns in VT that allow RVs to plug in overnight.)

riah
Explorer
Explorer
Also, maybe private campgrounds might be better option than a state campground if you are looking for staying put for a month or so.

riah
Explorer
Explorer
If you can boondock, thereโ€™s Cabelas and Walmart in Hamburg that might be an option.

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Bea

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
His Holiness campground at Roxbury just west of shippensburg has full hookups and will give you a good rate, the only time they will be full might be Memorial Day when they have fireworks. About 25 miles from Harrisburg but would give you a base until you find something closer. They would put you somewhere over memorial day, they are good christian people and will try to help you. Here is the website

https://roxburycamp.com/
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I stayed in a real nice one up in central PA for a week. It was never full in the week I was there and I had no trouble getting in for a week. Don't remember name of CG but it was in Somerset county I think.

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
lol Thanks but AOK is booked. I swear I've tried them all. In the process saw some pretty rough campgrounds.

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Try this one:https://www.goodsam.com/campgrounds-rv-parks/pennsylvania/jonestown/jonestown-aok-campground-201519832/

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
johnwalkerpa1 wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
bgum wrote:
Gifford Pinchot state park. Has hookups. Rate is about 23. On lake near Wellsville. Has a real good senior citizen discount.

Unfortunately I think one would find that every single FHU site at GP and every other PA state park is booked solid for every weekend the entire season. PA state parks have a very limited number of FHU sites, most have none at all. It was only in recent years they started converting some to FHU,and it takes them years to upgrade as they use the local maintenence staff to do the upgrades.

I can confirm this is true. I was looking yesterday. You'll find a few one day Tuesday or Wednesday openings but very few.

He was also just slightly off with the rate stated. $23?

Try $43.25. Plus another $4.00 if its on a weekend, another $5.00 if your not a PA resident, and the $6.50 reservation fee. $58.75. If it's in a designated pet section add another $2.00 if you have a pet or not, $60.75

Now take off the "real good" senior discount of $4.50

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
bgum wrote:
Gifford Pinchot state park. Has hookups. Rate is about 23. On lake near Wellsville. Has a real good senior citizen discount.

Unfortunately I think one would find that every single FHU site at GP and every other PA state park is booked solid for every weekend the entire season. PA state parks have a very limited number of FHU sites, most have none at all. It was only in recent years they started converting some to FHU,and it takes them years to upgrade as they use the local maintenence staff to do the upgrades.

I can confirm this is true. I was looking yesterday. You'll find a few one day Tuesday or Wednesday openings but very few.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
Maybe, if your situation and schedule would permit the time, you could see about being a camp host?

That's a great idea.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
State parks and monthly rates generally don't mix. State parks are not designed nor do they cater to long terms stays. Recommending a state park is going down the wrong path from the start.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide