Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: High Miles??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > High Miles??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
covetsthesun

missouri

Senior Member

Joined: 02/24/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/27/21 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2004 Silverado has over 370K "official" miles on it. The engine was replaced at 189K and trans was just replaced (brakes, alternator belts, hoses, rotors replaced at various times).

I've noticed that some of you have been looking at older trucks and suvs. What is considered high miles these days? I looked at a 2018 Traverse with 60,000 plus miles. We could put 40 on that puppy in less than two years and be facing another repair/replace scenario. Also looking at trucks...with the same questions. What is high miles? DH and I are not DIY's and use dealer services.

We're also past our "best by" date...Him late 70s and me at 70. Thanks in advance for advice and experience! CTS

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/27/21 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gasoline with provable maintenance and towing 50%...100,000 IMO. Without...don’t consider.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad


colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 03/27/21 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Different for different people. My sister trades vehicles every 2 years regardless of miles, usually under 20k. My vehicles I'll run over 250k. I have never had to replace transmission. I have replaced a motor in a Ford Diesel 6.0 at 263k. Just last week I had the head gaskets replaced on a gas 5.4 at a cost of $3200. Previous owner had put in a rebuilt motor but the head gasket leaked on the drivers side.

I have a truck fund that is invested in the market. I make enough each year to pay for any repairs and my fuel for the year without touching the principal.

Another factor is the cost of personal property tax, sales tax and insurance on a new vechicle compared to a older vechicle.

I joked with my mechanic when he retires I will have to start purchasing new vehicles again.

* This post was edited 03/27/21 08:15am by colliehauler *

midnightsadie

ohio

Senior Member

Joined: 01/07/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/27/21 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as long as your doing good maintance, keep on going ,buying new is just buying all the recalls .

covetsthesun

missouri

Senior Member

Joined: 02/24/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/27/21 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are getting a second "newer" vehicle. Our 04 truck just can't be trusted on a long haul trip anymore. We'll keep this truck for a local driver even though it's already sucked up $5k this year. Just want something a bit more reliable to take long trips. Truck or SUV.

I've been running down all kinds of recalls and reported issues! Wow! I asked earlier about Chevy Shake and now Ford Death Wobble?? Yikes!

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 03/27/21 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covetsthesun wrote:

We are getting a second "newer" vehicle. Our 04 truck just can't be trusted on a long haul trip anymore. We'll keep this truck for a local driver even though it's already sucked up $5k this year. Just want something a bit more reliable to take long trips. Truck or SUV.
I think you have answered your own question (when you don't trust them anymore).

covetsthesun

missouri

Senior Member

Joined: 02/24/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/27/21 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

covetsthesun wrote:

We are getting a second "newer" vehicle. Our 04 truck just can't be trusted on a long haul trip anymore. We'll keep this truck for a local driver even though it's already sucked up $5k this year. Just want something a bit more reliable to take long trips. Truck or SUV.
I think you have answered your own question (when you don't trust them anymore).


Well...370k miles is a bit much. The truck is fine for local. What I don't know...is is 60k low? 80? I've read posts where the OP is looking at a truck with 100K miles.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 07/28/2003

View Profile



Posted: 03/27/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 497,000. I did throw in a factory reman at 460k after burning up a valve seat (low fuel pressure + tune) but my transmission is still original. I would still have zero hesitation doing a cross-country trip.

My only tows have been 1) broken motor mount (motor flopped over far enough to break away the exhaust y-pipe from manifold collector and 2) sheared pinion gear (now I have a bigger rear axle).

FWIW - I bought my van from Enterprise with 105,000 miles. It came with an extended warranty until 150k but never needed to use it.


2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST


covetsthesun

missouri

Senior Member

Joined: 02/24/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/27/21 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

I have 497,000. I did throw in a factory reman at 460k after burning up a valve seat (low fuel pressure + tune) but my transmission is still original. I would still have zero hesitation doing a cross-country trip.

My only tows have been 1) broken motor mount (motor flopped over far enough to break away the exhaust y-pipe from manifold collector and 2) sheared pinion gear (now I have a bigger rear axle).

FWIW - I bought my van from Enterprise with 105,000 miles. It came with an extended warranty until 150k but never needed to use it.


WOW!!! Well ok then. Enterprise has some interesting vehicles and deals to offer. I'm still trying to wrap my head around 497k miles. Wow.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/27/21 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How heavy a trailer are you towing?
If you are looking used and need a 12-15k pound tow cap, check out 2018 Ram 2500's.
Plenty of power and the new 8 speed seems to be getting high marks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > High Miles??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.