Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: High Miles??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> High Miles??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/21 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Average Mileage per Year

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/21 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the OP is looking at midsize front wheel drive unibody suvs, so not sure where a 3/4 ton Ram comes in to that picture, but?

OP, you answered your own question pretty much. You got about 200k out of the engine and over 300 out of the transmission and axles it appears.
“Most” other common components, front end parts, engine accessories, brake systems are going to last for 150-200k miles.
“Reliable” is relative. A $20/20minute to replace part can leave you sitting on the side of the road just as easily as a $2500/20 hour part.
Personally I wouldn’t have spent any real money on the old truck after it had so many miles. Gotta know when to hold em and when to fold em.
Regardless of this or any advice, just get the lowest miles best condition you are ok with paying for. Can’t do any better than that and you’re admittedly not the folks to be gambling on high miles.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/21 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kind of reminds me of the guy that was selling Abe Lincoln's original ax, original except the handle had been replaced twice and head once. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

covetsthesun

missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/21 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you! This is very helpful.

covetsthesun

missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/21 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Kind of reminds me of the guy that was selling Abe Lincoln's original ax, original except the handle had been replaced twice and head once. [emoticon]

LOL! Except I'm not selling...just getting ideas about mileage. Several decades ago people thought 65k was extremely high mileage. Today? That's what I'm interested in.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/21 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very true. A hundred thousand miles on a car from the 50's and 60's was nearly unheard of without some kind of overhaul or serious work being done. Now a hundred thousand miles is common and unremarked upon.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/21 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

If the OP is looking at midsize front wheel drive unibody suvs, so not sure where a 3/4 ton Ram comes in to that picture, but?

The OP started out about replacing a 2004 Silverado, I know Chevy's are considered lightweights by some but "Midsize front wheel drive unibody" seems a little demeaning.

And some of the suv's are capable of towing.

And i didnt see anything limiting the frame of the question to SUV's.
My old 2500 Ram is still going, neighbor bought it a few years ago, just rolled 300k the old transmission gave out at 250k other than that and two water pumps it's been reliable.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve had my truck for 18 years and 250,000 miles. It has been towed one time when the fuel pump went out.
I think most vehicles are pretty reliable to 150k, and some much longer. We took and accord and a pilot to 250k with no problems. My kids both drive 18 year old jeeps with over 100k on them.

I’d have no hesitation in buying a vehicle in good condition with 50-100k miles. Just read up on issues for that particular model to learn of any issues.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/21 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

High miles is relative to the owner's care given along its life. The good thing is you have received good value out of the vehicle and you can quit and give it away at any time. That is freedom. New or newer truck you are a bit locked in to get your value out. I would keep on truckin'. I'm at 205k and no intention to trade unless I move to a MH.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/21 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

The OP started out about replacing a 2004 Silverado, I know Chevy's are considered lightweights by some but "Midsize front wheel drive unibody" seems a little demeaning.

And some of the suv's are capable of towing.

And i didnt see anything limiting the frame of the question to SUV's.
My old 2500 Ram is still going, neighbor bought it a few years ago, just rolled 300k the old transmission gave out at 250k other than that and two water pumps it's been reliable.

What type of vehicle is a Chevy Traverse in your neck of the woods?
That’s what the OP said she (or he) was looking at in the first post.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> High Miles??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.