cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Computer Location..Where am I?

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Almost every time I go to a web site such as Home Depot, Best Buys, Harbor Freight, etc.. When I view an item and want to see if it is stock locally.. The site shows me stores over 100 miles away.. I have turned off Location settings, and and changed the pages information to my local area, but after all this, the next time I view the site. I am still 100 miles away.. Of course each time I am at a site, I can change my location temporarily but the next time I am a 100 miles away. Any ideas or is this a quirk of my Internet Provider whose location usually is the one location that shows up? Just asking?
14 REPLIES 14

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't try and figure out where your location is at based on cell based location. Sometimes it will work off tower location, sometimes it's a central location, other times, who knows. Just put into HD or Lowes website, the current location and life will be better.

MrWizard
wa8yxm wrote:

The MEME shows the happy older couple with the RV and the caption is:
"The kids can't move back in with Mom and Dad if they can't find us".

I like that one
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
In cases where the inventory is low I call ahead and reserve. Did that when my first countertop ice maker failed.. nearest replacement was about 30 minutes away and they only had one so they pulled it behind counter with my name on it.

IT lasted 7 months. Store in FLint had 3, now 2 on display.. I like the Frigidaire better than the Magic Cheif for design reasons.

Yesterday was a run around day.. Starting and ending in Davison Township (Cort and Irish Roads) MI.

Wal mart turns out they did not have any
Flushign.. Lunch and deliver a package to the Moose Lodge (salt and pepper set, nothing about the shakers to comment on (Very standard) but the plastic holder.. Two Moose Kissing, felt the lodge should have one, All present agreed).

Target (new ice maker)(
Mennards (Sprayer for bug spray. 1 liter battery powered.. NICE many in stock, ask at the service counter (Gave her first 4 of SKEW and she pointed me to the right departmet say the correct isle on entry and to the checkout) then home.. Bugs.. UNHAPPY.. Tennant (ME) Happy Very very Happy.

But that's the trick when shopping for short supply.. Call ahead.
Except at target "Staff can not provide product availability information" said the robot.

I HATE PHONE ROBOTS
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I've had problems with both Lowes & Home Depot checking inventory on line. While I have a "Home Store" when not traveling, if I'm trying to find an item at other locations, I use their map to select a store. Almost every time, when I go back to the item I'm searching for, the selected store reverts back to my home store, or, sometimes, to the store I previously selected. A bit of a PIA.

I've also found that the inventory on line is often a long way from what is actually available. I don't know how many times I've been told once I get to the store not to believe the on line # of items, particularly when it is down to one or two.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ah I just recalled the reason for the hundreds of miles off location.

The MEME shows the happy older couple with the RV and the caption is:
"The kids can't move back in with Mom and Dad if they can't find us".

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I think that most of the time there is an option to "select my store".
bumpy

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I found that often when using Cellular Data it read the location of the Cell Company "Central Office" so it might show me Texas when I'm in South Carolina.

You can go to "Select store" type in a ZIP code or city/state and pick from a list.

Just did that with a few stores..Wound up at Target.They had..... Exactly what I was looking for (Yippie) I now have it.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
HD, Lowes and now most of the others show me immediate annoying popup wanting to know my location and/or send me sales/info alerts that I have to close one then the other. Was not always this way. Other times I get a popup telling me to disable my popup blocker or AD blocker. This annoying inconvenience discourages online shopping the bright boy idiots should know and I have reduced such activity. I now have my vest own. Cheers

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon has a poor reputation with me at knowing where I am.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Based on the location of the internet provider. Just found that out recently when I changed providers to one whose home office is located about 25 miles away. Suddenly Home Depot, Loweโ€™s, etc started showing the default store to the ones closest to that provider home office.

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
So I clicked in to HD just for the hell of it and it has me at my home location which is 1400 miles away but it also says delivering to my current address and I've never had anything from HD delivered here.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Can't comment of the others, but HD has probably the second worst website I've been on, particularly for those things you mentioned, along with others. Horrible. You would think a big company like that could afford to spiff it up.

However,don't get me started on #1 (unless you hate Disney World as much as I do)
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same here when in FL it shows me in MD or even CA
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Are you using a hotspot. Sometimes it won't show you as being local but local to the IP address the system assigned. Sometimes when I use ours in Florida it Will show me connected to T Mobile in Kansas and it screws with my computer time as it thinks I am in Central Time Zone instead of eastern. Had to shut that off.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie