cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New propane leak after tanks filled

boatmanea
Explorer
Explorer
I just had my two propane tanks filled after draining them nearly dry with the recent super-cold snap. When I reconnected them, there is a HUGE leak on both tanks right at the screw-in connection of the flexible hose connector along the hose where it goes into the "knob" to screw in. I do not see any cracks in the O-ring or assembly, dirt or debris in the threads, or any other obvious problem. Has anyone else had this? Could the cold have cracked both seals or hoses? Could the propane fill place have damaged the tanks? Hate to just buy new flexible hose assembly units if I'm missing something simpler.
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not use tools on plastic nuts.. Good way to replace them.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Try tightening the big hand nut with some channel locks. Im pretty strong and for some reason my ACME nuts are tight. Few months ago in the cold weather it was hurting my hands trying to install the tanks. Was getting a small leak and needed channel locks to turn the nut a tiny bit more.

Not sure if weather related, but now the nuts are easy to tighten by hand. Just changed one out 2 nights ago. Was thinking in my head i wonder why it was so tight a few months ago?? I did buy new pigtails but i dont really consider a plastic ACME nut as needing to "break in" and stretch slightly. Was really surprised how tight it was. Older fella in an RV would never get it tight by hand.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the threaded bushing loosen inside the valve outlet on a 20 lb cylinder causing a leak between the acme nut and cylinder valve. I used a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 inch flat bar and a crescent wrench to snug it tight. The following video shows the removal of the bushing at the beginning of the video. I did not remove mine. I only snuged it tight. The seal might not be replaceable as it is not an O-ring.

https://youtu.be/43PfG0gwT-g

Other valves have replaceable O-rings and seals:

O-rings and seals

dedmiston
I would handle it like a tire. Add some detergent to a spray bottle and then spray everything to isolate the leak. And then deal with the leaking component.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Inside the ACME Nut

1) O-Ring that seals the connection between ACME Nut and Propane OPD Valve connection

2) Thermal Bushing where hose enters ACME Nut (melts if temps exceed 240*F which then allows the OPD Springloaded vlave to close stopping all propane flow)
*2 types of the thermal bushing

OLD one that was redesigned because it had high failure rate
NEW one that has better 'collar' around the bushing

This is the OLD one

This is the NEW one

In either case if leak is AT the ACME Nut to OPD.....check for missing O-Ring inside the ACME Nut
If leak s at the 'bushing'---new pigtails
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
haste maker wrote:
Put some Vaseline on the rubber o-rings

Never use petroleum based products on rubber, use silicone based products.
This - aka plumbers valve grease Not water, petroleum soluable or flammable.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
There's a rubber grommet inside the port on the valve with a brass center ring. Twice I've had inexperienced refillers damage them. One was damaged to the point that it fell out while unscrewing the refill nozzle from the cylinder, and the other had the brass center ring damaged enough that a POL or ACME connector could not seat properly. I was able to salvage the cylinders using parts from scrapped cylinders that had the same brand valves.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
haste maker wrote:

Never use petroleum based products on rubber, use silicone based products.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are sure they are on correct, square and fully seated then I would assume you need new pigtails. Seems odd that both failed together like this. Do inspect for damage or have someone double check the connection for you before spending money.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Some pigtails don't last very long, check with soapy water and replace them if they are leaking.

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I can't see where filling the tanks would damage them. I'd get new seals/O-rings and go from there.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE