Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

highway 49 California

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Anyone drive down highway 49 from South shore Lake Camanche to Co
Columbia State Park towing a 35ft., travel trailer? Your experience?
9 REPLIES 9

Litch
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
noonenosthis1 wrote:
Hi all,

Steep climb out of Lake Tahoe. Plan on a slow and leisurely drive on Hwy 49 to Columbia.

49 does not go to Tahoe.
2006 Chevy HD LBZ Duramax/Allison
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 30sks

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I use to drive 49 all the time for recreation because of all the curves and elevation changes. I think it's a great drive on a sports bike but in my opinion a miserable drive trying to pull a trailer or even a large truck. In fact sold my El Camino SS to a person in Angels Camp.

There is probably a video on YouTube of someone driving the road.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
ORbiker, Iโ€™ve driven CA 4 with a trailer...once is enough. East to west.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
noonenosthis1 wrote:
Hi all,

Steep climb out of Lake Tahoe. Plan on a slow and leisurely drive on Hwy 49 to Columbia.

Not Lake Tahoe but Lake Camanche. We store our trailer at Lake Camanche.

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
#1Flyboy wrote:
We live very near the park in Columbia, have driven our 30โ€™ Class A gasser towing; semiโ€™s drive it daily; as a courtesy you might pull over occasionally for faster traffic; itโ€™s not a flat straight road for sure......

Thanks! Have you stayed at Marble Quarry recently? We stayed many years ago and would like to return but I've been hearing that it is run down. There is another rv park close by,49er rv ranch?

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
We live very near the park in Columbia, have driven our 30โ€™ Class A gasser towing; semiโ€™s drive it daily; as a courtesy you might pull over occasionally for faster traffic; itโ€™s not a flat straight road for sure......

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
noonenosthis1 wrote:
Hi all,

When using google map; choose bicycle and the map will show the elevation gain / loss in the details of each route.

map

That area has a LOT of ups and downs. Curves too. I have attended many group motorcycle rides to do all the roads in that area. DO NOT even look at driving 4. KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
noonenosthis1 wrote:
Hi all,

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My TT is 26 feet. No issues but itโ€™s not a super highway, and the drive has interesting things all the way.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad