Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aux Start to Boost Cranking Amps

gb76087
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Fleetwood Terra, F53 chassis.
The coach has Power Gear electric leveling system which requires a very healthy chassis battery. If the chassis battery is weak, the jacks don't work.
My question is if the chassis battery is weak could I hold the auxiliary start switch(the engine is running) and retract or extend the jacks at the same time?
2007 Fleeteood TERRA LX 34N
F53, 362hp V10
16 REPLIES 16

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Yes it will kind of work. But you might want to load test that battery (S).

gb76087
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update.
After I returned home I found that the plug from the front left jack was not completely plugged in at the controller. Since I have repeated the plug I haven't experienced any more problems.
F53, 362hp V10

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I just leave mine running while jacks go down and slides go out. But should not hurt to use start button.

gb76087
Explorer
Explorer
Update
Drove 4 hours Monday, parked RV, kept engine running, battery showing 13.5v, went to lower jacks, jacks down led came on and jacks went into error mode. Going home tomorrow and will do more troubleshooting this weekend.
F53, 362hp V10

MrWizard
Yes .... Arrive at destination, batteries should be charged from driving, leave engine running, use the jacks to level the RV
If you need to use the aux start switch to boost the engine battery, you have 2 problems, a weak chassis battery that should be replaced and a charging system that is not working correctly, because the house and chassis batteries should already be combined when the engine is running,
There is an exception to this
If your MH has a diode based battery isolator instead of the battery control center box, that is common on many MHs

A diode style isolator let's both batteries charge while keeping them separate, if you have this then yes you must press the aux start switch to combine them to provide extra power to the chassis system for the jacks(if chassis battery is weak)
The BBC cost more $$ takes more time to install than a diode isolator, so some RVs do not have the BBC, but instead have the less costly diode isolator and a less costly momentary duty relay for the aux start function
Instead of the heavier more reliable continuous duty relays used in the BCC
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
I agree with everyone--yes, it is okay to do that.

However, there's a pretty good chance that pressing the button isn't actually doing anything with the engine running, since a very common setup is to use the aux start solenoid as the battery combiner/isolator relay and have it engaged whenever the engine is running.

Yes. I agree with Drew, AND with Doug. AND, . . . . the chassis battery, AND coach batteries are, most likely, ALREADY CONNECTED (without pressing the AUX switch) since the (chassis) engine is running. HOWEVER, the OP doesn't state the RPM that the engine is running which WILL have a significant effect on the available amps from the chassis alternator. At idle, with low batteries, IMO, the alternator is only generating enough amps for basic electrical functions. (running the Power Gear electric leveling system ISN'T one of them) Revving the engine for a few minutes could/may help. Recharging the coach/chassis batteries will.

Chum lee

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recommend a Trik-L-Start combiner or similar so the chassis battery will be kept charged.
You will get more years and miles out of the battery too.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
chuckftboy wrote:
That's confusing. You said if the engine is running and if it is, the alternator should be suppling the power for the levelers. The alternator should be able to supply all the power needed.
To answer your question...yes you can use the boost switch with the engine running.

Absolutely wrong. Alternators cannot give the AMPERAGE needed to run heavy duty appliances like a 12 volt Jack system or a hydraulic jack system pump. That is why the jack system makers will state to have a GOOD fully charged 12 volt battery in the system.
YES, on the Aux Start. BUT when the engine is running, the AUX start solenoid is already engaged, so you do not have to hold the Aux button. Be advised that some AUX start systems require up to 5 minutes after the Engine is running to engage automatically. If so, you can then push the AUX start button to get immediate coach power to the Chassis system instead of waiting that 5 minutes. Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my rig the Power gear system wanted ENGINE RUNNING. And this not only meant the alternator was pushing more amps but the two banks were joined by the Isolator. Sadly it still failed.. Happily it's not may problem any more.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
chuckftboy wrote:
That's confusing. You said if the engine is running and if it is, the alternator should be suppling the power for the levelers. The alternator should be able to supply all the power needed.

Concur ! At worst, hold the engine at high idle.

Bruce_Brown
chuckftboy wrote:
To answer your question...yes you can use the boost switch with the engine running.

This. When our jacks show low voltage all I need to do is start the MH and it's good to go.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with everyone--yes, it is okay to do that.

However, there's a pretty good chance that pressing the button isn't actually doing anything with the engine running, since a very common setup is to use the aux start solenoid as the battery combiner/isolator relay and have it engaged whenever the engine is running.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Yes.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Flute_Man
Explorer