cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Deleting and Closing A Thread

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Just curious how the system works with moderators.

How do you determine when a thread should be "deleted" or "closed"?

I think the one marijuana and CBD oils should be closed but hey, I'm not a moderator.

Good thing is, you can still copy-paste threads and I save them all in Word files for future reference.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog
53 REPLIES 53

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Playaboy wrote:
They are just delaying the inevitable. Once these countries leave their bubbles, in a year or two, and join the rest of the world, Covid will do it's thing.

.....I don't believe that anyone in "Public Health" would ever admit that a novel and air-borne virus as wide-spread as "this one" can be halted in its tracks. The strategy is to slow down the "spread" to get the most vulnerable cohort double-vaccinated with vaccine that will prevent "severe Civid", so that they if vaccinated do get infected, don't shut down the emergency care system-- that to the detriment of the World's people needing surgeries, cancer treatments and hundreds of "other" procedures.

The majority employed in the virus containment endeavor would believe that eventually, this virus will be relegated to pockets of persistent endemicity on every continent, rearing its ugly head occasionally, as "it" mutates. The global task would be to test continually for "variants of concern", to inform booster production and deployment to the most vulnerable. This particular virus will be very difficult to stop entirely, unlike smallpox; smallpox was perfectly (ideally) suited to eradication (unlike other viruses).
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I think they should ADD A HAPPY FACE OR A FROWNING ONE SO PEOPLE CAN SEE WHAT THE TRENDS ARE.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
silversand wrote:
gtla9111 wrote:
There already exists an agreement between the three countries, T-MEC although Mexico's president has violated 12 articles of the agreement. The T-MEC is about business, jobs, and economies. Isn't that pretty much what you are referring to in terms of the damage that has been done? So if we would have worked together, locked down hard for a few months we would have been in a condition that was survivable.

Chris:

Only 6 countries and two regions have used something called the (smallpox) virus zero approach, on Earth. This recent strategy is called: COVIDzero. The countries include: China, Taiwan, Iceland, Australia, New Zealand, a portion of East Asia, Vietnam, and, drum-roll: Atlantic Canada ! It works to a greater extent. Not completely watertight, however the zero strategy is the strictest virus-containment measure in the human environment known-- with precedent (successful smallpox containment).

"Brazil and Mexico --and India--, leaders chose a third option by virtually doing nothing and letting the virus spread." (cited from: the Canadian news journal, TheTyee, 2021).

Unless all States World-wide sign onto a program as focused and some would say, "draconian" as COVIDzero plan, there is no way to stop an air-borne infectious virus. In fact as strict as COVIDzero is, even COVIDzero practitioners Nova Scotia and Australia, recently, have lost control and are experiencing community spread.

Wasn't that my point? Tonight on PBS they presented the Australian COVIDzero and their success.

Australia's Success

Sad that "all states" didn't sign on to the program brings my point home.

It's not about "us", it's about "me". The Canadian journal hit the nail on the head. MEXICO DID NOTHING. Why? The president didn't:

1) admit the problem was out of hand

2) spend money as it was against his austerity plan

3) have good information about the pandemic

4) care about anything other than the economy and his numbers.

They are just delaying the inevitable. Once these countries leave their bubbles, in a year or two, and join the rest of the world, Covid will do it's thing.

I think it is the height of arrogance to think we humans can stop this virus.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Moderna with the second jab in March for both of us. Now we are thinking booster before we head SOB late next winter.

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
No second dose of Sinovac yet. We have waited now for 43 days. We are expecting them in the next week and have been assured that the delay will not affect the efficacy of the vaccine.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Talleyho69 wrote:
Have you two received your vaccines yet? We both have, Pfizer, both doses.

....yes. Received my 1st Moderna jab 7.3 days ago. Now, have to wait a quarter of a year for jab 2 LOL. Hopefully, the speed-up in US vaccine shipments to Canada will continue. Speculation is that 2nd jabs may be "moved up" in Canada to July (opposed to end of August/September).

On edit: The Canadian Feds are making (seeding?) press releases with statements like: ".... we will likely mix and match mRNA vaccine second doses....". Province after Province in Canada are "suspending" AstraZeneca vaccine 1st shots completely, in favor of ever-increasing incoming mRNA doses from the US.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Talleyho69
Have you two received your vaccines yet? We both have, Pfizer, both doses.

Yes, we had to wait in long lines, but it happened.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
silversand wrote:
gtla9111 wrote:
There already exists an agreement between the three countries, T-MEC although Mexico's president has violated 12 articles of the agreement. The T-MEC is about business, jobs, and economies. Isn't that pretty much what you are referring to in terms of the damage that has been done? So if we would have worked together, locked down hard for a few months we would have been in a condition that was survivable.

Chris:

Only 6 countries and two regions have used something called the (smallpox) virus zero approach, on Earth. This recent strategy is called: COVIDzero. The countries include: China, Taiwan, Iceland, Australia, New Zealand, a portion of East Asia, Vietnam, and, drum-roll: Atlantic Canada ! It works to a greater extent. Not completely watertight, however the zero strategy is the strictest virus-containment measure in the human environment known-- with precedent (successful smallpox containment).

"Brazil and Mexico --and India--, leaders chose a third option by virtually doing nothing and letting the virus spread." (cited from: the Canadian news journal, TheTyee, 2021).

Unless all States World-wide sign onto a program as focused and some would say, "draconian" as COVIDzero plan, there is no way to stop an air-borne infectious virus. In fact as strict as COVIDzero is, even COVIDzero practitioners Nova Scotia and Australia, recently, have lost control and are experiencing community spread.

Wasn't that my point? Tonight on PBS they presented the Australian COVIDzero and their success.

Australia's Success

Sad that "all states" didn't sign on to the program brings my point home.

It's not about "us", it's about "me". The Canadian journal hit the nail on the head. MEXICO DID NOTHING. Why? The president didn't:

1) admit the problem was out of hand

2) spend money as it was against his austerity plan

3) have good information about the pandemic

4) care about anything other than the economy and his numbers.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
gtla9111 wrote:

Chris:

Silver

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Let me correct two things. Those states mentioned in lockdowns were done after the damage had occurred and the lockdowns were not enforced.

Mexico gives its citizens money on a monthly basis via a program open to all seniors over 65, working, not working, rich or poor receive the benefit.

All students from 3 kinder through university receive a monthly stipend for each child in the household registered in public schools and special needs children in both public and private. In addition, the majority of university students are studying on a scholarship that includes $75 USD per month. The stipend for all other levels is $40 USD per student.

In rural areas, in addition to the above, 400,000 farmers receive seed, fertilizer, fruit trees for planting in addition to a stipend of 5000 pesos per month of which 500 pesos is deposited in a savings account.

Obviously, these are not part of a pandemic stimulus package. These are programs that have been going on since 2018 if not much longer depending on the program.

Mexicans working in the formal sector who are registered in Seguro Social received or are receiving benefits by law from the companies they worked for. Granted this doesn't and will not include every Mexican.

As a side note, I find it a bit ridiculous for foreigners living in Mexico to receive stimulus checks from their home countries. Imagine, in some countries the stimulus can amount to as much as $3000 USD times. Unbelievable.

You said, "People have to take personal responsibility for their decisions". That includes Mexicans. We voted and we got what we deserved be it good or bad.

---On Edit--- The stipend for all Mexicans 65 and over was doubled last month to $150 USD per month.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
QTLA, I am sorry I didn't get to read your post. I have enjoyed reading the differing opinions here without the name calling. Let's hope the Mods will leave it alone.

Lock downs didn't stop the spread of the virus (Cal and NY). Being open did not spread the virus (FL and Utah). It is total arrogance to think we can STOP the spread of a microscopic airborne speck of a virus.

Lock downs have destroyed millions of businesses and peoples lives. States with no lock down are fiscally and mentally in better shape.

Most of the USA locked down in the beginning of this mess. It didn't stop anything. They were able to lock down by sending people free money. That is the only reason people's tempers have not blown sky high in the USA.

Mexico doesn't give it's citizens free money so if there is a total lock down, then people starve. I have sent money to help friends that are out of work in Tulum so their kids can eat.

During the lock downs in Jalisco, most businesses did not close and the authorities let things slide.

If you think all we have to do is follow the "SCIENCE" then why don't the scientist and doctors agree? Answer; medical science is not an exact science. Dr's PRACTICE medicine. Covid regulations are all over the place depending where you are. Are the so called scientist in NY and CA smarter than the scientist in TX or UT?

I have lost a couple of friends to covid. I know many more that got very sick and survived. I was lucky to have a mild case. It is f'cked up disease.

As Americans, if things get bad we can pick up and leave. Mexican will do what they have always done when things are bad, they will suffer through it or they will run to the USA and make a life there. I personally know Mexican families moving NOB and reuniting today.

People have to take personal responsibility for their decisions. We don't need bureaucrats making our medical decisions and controlling our lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp3gy_CLXho

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
In the United States there's been plenty of paradoxes on display - states that did lock down aggressively have yet to see tangible results compared to states that did not lock down. Even Canada which pulled up all the drawbridges is now seeing upticks of Covid cases.
A year ago we were told to expect a 3% mortality rate - which thankfully didn't come to pass. Right now the Covid mortality rate is half a percent. Don't misunderstand - any death is a tragedy but what if the steps taken - which have serious repercussions - were not effective?

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
playaboy wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:
Why isn't there a concerted effort between the three North American countries?

That is fantasy thinking. Would you want to see a complete lock down of the 3 countries? Mandatory vaccinations? Interment camps (in Canada they call them quarantine hotels) for those who refuse?

In the USA Public Health is a State/local matter. The Feds have very little control over the local enforcement agency. In Cali alone there are more than 50 public health agencies. These bureaucrats will not surrender their authority/power to the Feds. The only thing the Feds can do is advise and send out free money to keep people compliant.

Canada Public Health is mostly Federally controlled. They have done a poor job. They depended on globalism to send them vaccines. Now they are playing catch up.

Mexico is Mexico, taking care of the corrupt and let the people be dammed.

QTLA, what do you think should have happened?

There's no fantasy here. It's reality. You're obviously not a believer and you've made that clear. You didn't see my post that was deleted last week.

Imagine if we had had an agreement and did an actual lockdown in the beginning? With the three-step precautionary measures, we could have nipped this in the bud and reduced the damage considerably.

But, it was selfishness on the parts of the Mexican government, Mexicans, and tourists who made the situation worse.

So suspect people are crossing back and forth via land from the U.S. to Mexico and there is no one checking. I recently returned from SMA working on a project in a rural area. 100 Mexicans in these rural areas died after their paisano relatives came from the U.S. and visited during Christmas. That left them in a no man's land. No one wanted to help them.

All I know is that Mexico is now on a slippery slope and I feel for those who have invested heavily in winter homes and businesses. Mexico's new economic model is based on Venezuela.

As I have said before, it's easy to come and go from Mexico if you are not vested in the country. If things go sour you can just head back home. So as you say, Mexico is what it is, to a tourist. Being a Mexican and not having anywhere else to go isn't such an easy situation.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
mexicoruss wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:
Why isn't there a concerted effort between the three North American countries?
clay and lead don't mix.

That's a biblical phrase from the book of Daniel. Not sure I get the relationship.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS