Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Deleting and Closing A Thread
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Deleting and Closing A Thread

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
playaboy

riviera maya

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/21 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am glad that the 3 countries are not playing by the same rules. The USA and Canada covid rules are/can be draconian while not following the "science". At least most of Mexico seems to living a normal life now.

I believe there shouldn't be any covid travel restrictions at the border, ZERO, NONE, NADA. Especially the so called vaccine passports. There is no need for them.

Many Americans are tired of the BS regulations. The are starting to rebel. I would hope my Canadian cousins would do the same.

Tourism in Mexico will not recover until all restrictions in the USA and Canada are lifted.

As far as RV'ing is concerned, it will only grow as more Mexicans enter that lifestyle. Mexican RV'ing is in it's infancy but it is growing.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1488625514566903

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/21 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sad we have to rely on tourism. Tourism is a dead-end for many workers not to mention the low wages dictated by tourists. The country needs educated 21st-century minds that will be able to compete with China and India, not in the future but now, in areas of renewable energies, technologies, entrepreneurialism which the new government is looking down upon and attempting to put an end to (all of the above). We need to educate ourselves on the country we are rving in and find out what has passed, happening now and where it will lead us in the future or there won't be any rving.

Selling baskets and trinkets next to a train subsidized and run by the government, the horse pulling the mill around to make agua de miel, farmers planting seed by hand and plowing with a horse, now that is draconian and only holds the country back (these things are being promoted by the new government).

As for the growing Mexican rv market, show me a local that is willing to pay 300 pesos or more a night for a spot in an rv park. It's not going to happen. It's a niche industry and has been for decades.

Had the three countries worked together from the beginning and not been so selfish, most of this would have never happened. But here we are and I have almost 1 million reasons why just between Canada, the U.S., and Mexico.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

playaboy

riviera maya

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sad to rely on tourism? Dead end job?

I lived on the Riviera Maya for 15 years. Tourism provides tens of thousands of jobs for the no-skill workers from the jungle. All those chamber maids at the resorts have supervisors. Those supervisors have managers. Now you have a middle class, home ownership, and nice newer cars. The manual laborer from the pueblo in the jungle, now has a block home with electricity and running water, his children get an education and move up the economic ladder.

Without tourism there would be zero jobs there, as the covid pandemic showed last year.

Why do Rv'ers have to educate themselves about Mexico politics? What can vacationers do about MX politics? Vote with their wallet by boycotting? That won't help. I am a long time resident and I don't get involved in MX politics.

When I lived in Paamul, the park would fill up with domestic tourists camping/RV during Xmas and Semana Santa. Xpu Ha filled up too. These "locals" were paying 300+p a night for a piece of dirt on the beach. It is a lot cheaper than the 4000p for that hotel room 50 yards away.

You are correct that it is a niche market and will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

As we all know, RVing in Mexico is a totally different adventure than RVing NOB. You MIGHT have a thousand RV's traveling around Mexico today with little to no services for them (that is part of the adventure). You have a couple thousand RV's in Quartzsite and a couple thousand more in Yuma with all the services you could want. Why come south of the border?

Tourism is not a "sad" industry. Mexico has great attractions, offers great hospitality to visitors, and attracts BILLIONS of $$$$'s a year. Mexico does a good job at tourism.

Mexico's reliance on remittance is "sad".

Wm.Elliot

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in Maine many/most jobs are in the service industry. I suspect many other US states are similar. We've closed the mills and shoe shops. Factories? Nah... too dirty. Incredibly a salmon fish farm has met with continued resistance - a "green" industry if ever there was one.
I've been visiting Mexico since 1999 - what a huge change in those 22 years. Horses, tractors,bicycles were the primary modes of transportation then. Now many of those people own cars or small motorcycles. The standard of living has greatly improved.
Every year we return to Mexico I marvel at the changes that have taken place in the previous year. A selfish part of me hates to see Mexico change but I am happy to see Mexican families advancing economically.
If one considers the changes since Jack Kerouac roamed around Mexico the past 70 years has seen tremendous changes. Here in Maine (and many other US states) the trajectory is not so promising.

playaboy

riviera maya

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It appears that Canadians will be restricted in their travels and on lock down for the foreseeable future.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/trudeau-covid-third-wave-vaccine-b1832003.html

I think that Canadian RV'ers will not be allowed to cross south for another year or two.

That is what the SCIENCE says is best.

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/21 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trudeau cannot keep the border closed for2 years more.We would become a 3rd world country with no economy.

Galvanizd

Puerto Penasco Mexico.... For a bit.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://mb.com.ph/2021/04/10/trudeau-cal........a-regions-to-tighten-covid-restrictions/

I think he's going to. What/who is going to stop him? Some fairly draconian measures already in place that at least some canadians seem to think are ok. Some appear to blame it on people not following rules?

It appears that whatever's being done for the last year.......isn't working. So tighten it up some more.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why isn't there a concerted effort between the three North American countries?

mexicoruss

Puerto Penasco Sonora Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

qtla9111 wrote:

clay and lead don't mix.

Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

playaboy

riviera maya

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

qtla9111 wrote:

That is fantasy thinking. Would you want to see a complete lock down of the 3 countries? Mandatory vaccinations? Interment camps (in Canada they call them quarantine hotels) for those who refuse?

In the USA Public Health is a State/local matter. The Feds have very little control over the local enforcement agency. In Cali alone there are more than 50 public health agencies. These bureaucrats will not surrender their authority/power to the Feds. The only thing the Feds can do is advise and send out free money to keep people compliant.

Canada Public Health is mostly Federally controlled. They have done a poor job. They depended on globalism to send them vaccines. Now they are playing catch up.

Mexico is Mexico, taking care of the corrupt and let the people be dammed.

QTLA, what do you think should have happened?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Deleting and Closing A Thread
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.