cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which E rated ties have the most weight capacity?

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will need to be replacing the tires on my 1 ton. I have noticed there is a bit of a difference in tire weight capacity ratings. I currently have Firestone Transforce that has 3680 lbs per tire. While looking at other tires, I have noticed some have as little as 3200 lbs per tire.

Just curious if there is a tire that has a higher rating than the 3680 lbs??
30 REPLIES 30

Bedlam
Nobody mentioned that the rims may not have the capacity for the chosen tire even if it fits?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
I had 295/70/18 dick cepek tires E load with a 4080 rating also. They did fine on and off the road. I used them for daily driving and towing.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
MikeRP wrote:
Last year, I bought Cooper AT3 XLT 295/70R18 which is 4080 per tire.
Same rating with Goodyear DuraTrac and Wrangler MT/R. Probably same with other brands too. Nothing special extra about the 4080 rating.

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
8.1 Van wrote:
All E rated tires of the same size should have the same weight capacity.Here is a 4,080 lb capacity tire :

Last year, I bought Cooper AT3 XLT 295/70R18 which is 4080 per tire. With that tire you get an extra 440 lbs per tire for a total of 880 lbs for the rear axle. That translates to an additional 4400 lbs you theoretically could haul on the fifth wheel at 20%. These numbers are for a 2018 Ram 3500 with 18 inch tires.

They are only 1 inch taller verified (my brother has the 275/70R18's) and they are wonderful tires. As soon as my new trucks Firestone HT's get some miles on them I'll replace them with these tires. $1700 for 5. But that gives you some serious extra capacity if you are close on the rear. I run about 6900 on the rear and I'm good for 7280. An extra 880 lbs gives some serious headroom. 60,000 mile warranty. You have to have them force balanced. I may put on centrimatic balancers right away.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the OP the 3200 tire is a D rated tire 3195 actually according to standards:

Tire Size LT275/70R18 Single Tire
35 psi 2070 lbs

40 psi 2270 lbs

45 psi 2470 lbs

50 psi 2680 lbs (C) 115

55 psi 2840 lbs

60 psi 3020 lbs

65 psi 3195 lbs (D) 121

70 psi 3360 lbs

75 psi 3530 lbs

80 psi 3640 lbs (E) 125

95 psi 3970 lbs (F) 128
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
8.1 Van wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
8.1 Van, I agree but still waiting to be shown the capacities are different even in the same load range and tire size.

The tire industry has load/inflation charts for tire sizes that does not change by tire brand.
tire capacity charts

A friend of mine always said "prove it" and every chart you look up will have the same results!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
8.1 Van, I agree but still waiting to be shown the capacities are different even in the same load range and tire size.

The tire industry has load/inflation charts for tire sizes that does not change by tire brand.
tire capacity charts

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
mrad wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
BenK wrote:

To the OP...careful shopping for the same sized tire with the highest load rating. As some stores will only show you what they sell. Even though another brand might have a higher rating.

Do your research and make sure your wheels are also rated for MORE than the tire’s rating (personal preference), as the tire has more compliance than metal wheel will have.

BUT, none of this would be confusing if the OP did a little research on tires. They would presumably understand the conventions relatively easily.

This is where my confusion started. I was looking online at different tires. My 275 70R 18 firestone tranforce state 3640# at 80 psi on the tire. The ratings I would see online all listed around 3200. I figured they must be using a generic number.
The LT275/70R18E has the 3640 rating the tire with the 3200 is most likely not a LT and/or an E rated tire.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
BenK wrote:

To the OP...careful shopping for the same sized tire with the highest load rating. As some stores will only show you what they sell. Even though another brand might have a higher rating.

Do your research and make sure your wheels are also rated for MORE than the tire’s rating (personal preference), as the tire has more compliance than metal wheel will have.

BUT, none of this would be confusing if the OP did a little research on tires. They would presumably understand the conventions relatively easily.

This is where my confusion started. I was looking online at different tires. My 275 70R 18 firestone tranforce state 3640# at 80 psi on the tire. The ratings I would see online all listed around 3200. I figured they must be using a generic number.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
All E rated tires of the same size should have the same weight capacity.Here is a 4,080 lb capacity tire :

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BenK wrote:

I have yet to see a meaningful difference in apples to apples tire size and classification. What you wrote is likely very confusing to the OP who asked the question. Unless I'm missing something, the vast majority of tires in a particular size and classification are load rated exactly the same.
Sure you can get a P or XL tire in some of the same sizes as a LT tire and they will have vastly different load ratings, but you're not generally going to find brand "X", and brand "Y" of the same size and tire class to have a different rating.

Your last statement is misleading IMO as well. Sure its good advice to generally make sure the wheels are rated for what they're carrying, as well as the tires, but what you said appears to promote making the tires the weak link in the assembly? Seems a bit backwards to me.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Tires do more than carry weight, which is their main job.

Accelerating, braking, turning, cushioning, and cornering. All at low speed, up to their speed rating.

Their application also varies and why there are different classifications.

ST = Trailer

P = Passenger

LT = Light truck

Commercial = Semi’s and normally in half inch dia sizes

Off Road = Those on HUGE truck. Wheel dia measured in feet, not inches

Am sure there are other classifications. Like airplane, farm, etc.

The old way was to rate a tire by its actual number of sidewall plus. Meaning an “E” tire actually had 10 plays of cloth (normally cotton, IIRC)

Newer way is with a number code that references a chart listing what that rating is.

Now, OEMs mostly have both letter and numeric code on LT sidewalls and charts.

As the actual number of sidewall plys run from one to two layers of fabric. One of our resident tire engineers might come along to provide more info & details

I do know that serious off roading would shread most P class tire whe aired down. While same size LT would not be harmed, other than bruises. But, that was a couple decades ago when still hardcore off-roader. Material science and production methodology have come a ways since then.

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

blt2ski
valhalla360 wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Ply rating and letter rating are "old school". DOT requires actual capacity (in pounds) be on the tire sidewall.

Yep,

Just threw in a random size (225/75R16) and came up with tires in load ranges from 104 to 121.

104 = 1,984lb
121 = 3,197lb

Both will fit on your rims and lightly loaded, won't make much difference. But guess which one is likely to do better heavily loaded?

Reality, that 104 vs 121 load index rating are probably not a heck of a lot different than a P metric vs an LR E/10 ply rated tire.

Either one of the three ratings systems basically tell you the same thing. How much a tire will carry at speeds over 25mph. stay under 25mph, you can load to 150% of sidewall capacity, or at least at one time one could do so per say.

Steel vs polyester sidewalls and treads do not give you more capacity for a given tire with the same load rating. they will be stiffer, usually a bit cooler running. SOme will last longer depending upon rubber compound.....

Marty

Actually those were just the extremes. They had several others.

Why would you use a system that doesn't give you an actual load rating (ply/letter grade) when they give actual payloads?

Even with this new system, you have to look up what the tire load rating says the tire can be loaded too. Both old systems had the max load at X psi on sidewall. New system has max load at x psi.
Either of three rating systems work when used correctly.
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer