cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leave TT Unhitched?

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had the opportunity to camp (boondock) on BLM land. We have an upcoming trip to Utah, and will be interested in doing some BLM camping. My question is for those who RV in travel trailers or 5th wheels. Is it safe to unhitch and leave the rig while you go exploring the area? I'm not talking about just hiking around in the area you're camped in, but actually leaving in your tow vehicle and driving around. With no established campground and no one keeping an eye on things, do other people respect your stuff?

Thanks in advance,

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB
16 REPLIES 16

2g_s
Explorer
Explorer
The thought never crossed our minds. We never had anything stolen and have boondocked on public lands over 20 yr.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
We just use a hitch lock. For the generator, I either put it away, or use one of those heavy duty u-shaped bike locks and secure it to the trailer frame.

No one can stop a determined thief. But my philosophy is just to make our stuff look a little more difficult to get than an easier mark somewhere else in the area. Besides, most thieves will be a little wary of getting discovered in the middle of their escapades when an owner returns. Can't exactly make a fast getaway on a dirt road pulling someone else's rig.

In some ways, tent campers might be a little more concerned as it's far easier to just throw sleeping bags, tents, etc. in the back of a vehicle and speed away.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I run a thick cable lock thru the wheels. If someone tries to take my trailer, the wheels will lock up after a couple feet and the thief probably won't think to look at the axles. It also stops them from stealing the wheels... ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
30 years of traveling all over and never once considered not leaving the trailer, 5th wheel or motorhome behind. Most of the time, I don't even lock it.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
But the generator is usually with me or locked in the back of the Suburban overnight with a blanket covering it.
I just learned this the hard way. After 17 years, I got hit. And it hurts.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Agreed on the generator. High dollar easy to steal should not be left in view. I'll leave my folding chairs and plastic folding table out. But the generator is usually with me or locked in the back of the Suburban overnight with a blanket covering it.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Put your generator(s) away.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:

Speak, which area of Utah are you focusing on? Let us know, and we can give you some general hints about where to look for potential boondocking sites!

Southern Utah - the "Mighty 5" national parks as well as a couple of notable state parks. At this point our boondocking plans are in the area around Zion and again in the area near Capitol Reef.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have boondocked and dry-camped for the last 16 years -- probably a total of a thousand nights so far. We've never had anything disturbed or stolen.

We do use a hitch lock when we are in a campground near a big city.

Speak, which area of Utah are you focusing on? Let us know, and we can give you some general hints about where to look for potential boondocking sites!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I don't know about Utah. But I've never had a problem leaving my campsite for the day out in the southern California deserts. I do have a hitch lock but it's not on when out there. my thought has always been that most crooks are not going to drive an hour outside the city for a chance to steal a trailer when there are so many just sitting conveniently in the neighborhood.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Seriously, I feel safer boondocking than I do in any campground...me, truck, TT and stuff.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
JUst do not camp close to a large city. We follow that rule as much as possible and in over 40 years of camping have never had a crime problem. Every stolen RV report I've seen has been off a dealer's lot. But a ball lock can't hurt.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I unhitch and go. So far, no problems. In addition to a hitch lock, I padlock the safety chains to the tongue. Others also cable lock one side of the TTโ€™s wheels.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer

Inexpensive insurance and they really work
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog