Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Disposable Razors Observation
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Disposable Razors Observation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if the quality of some disposable razors is declining? I bring up this point because of recent observations I’ve made:

Over the decades, my single blade disposable razors (usually Gillette) gave me a good shave. Lately, after shaving, I notice many hairs have been missed even though my shaving method hasn’t changed. When shaving, I always go over the same area a few times.

I’ve also noticed I never cut myself anymore, while previously it was pretty common. I always keep a styptic pencil handy, but haven’t needed to use it. I guess that’s good, but I’d rather get a good shave like I used to, and take a chance with the nicks.

I’ve also tried multiple blade shavers, but wasn’t impressed. Just guessing, either blades aren’t as sharp as they used to be, or they’re set at the wrong angle in the handle. It’s just something I’ll need to live with. Fortunately, with the wearing of face masks, I can get away without shaving for a couple of days. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/21 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes and the price of the disposables has gone through the roof, making an effort to go back to the electric shaver although it doesn't get quite as close.

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/21 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was younger having a steady hand I would nip off the little plastic guard leaving a bare exposed blade. It was like the old cut throat razors... Like I said, I had a steady hand.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/21 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherman wrote:

Yes and the price of the disposables has gone through the roof, making an effort to go back to the electric shaver although it doesn't get quite as close.

A few years ago a friend loaned me an electric razor. I tried it out, but it was always pinching my skin, quite painfully. So, electric shavers are not going to be in my future. I'll keep experimenting with the bladed kind; maybe I'll find a brand that works. And yes, you're right their prices keep rising, but they aren't cutting better. I saw a Gillette multi-bladed razor in Walmart for $15.00, and it did come with extra heads. I may just give it a try, but I still prefer my usual single blade Gillette razors. Cynical person that I am, I think these multi-bladed razors are just a marketing gimmick, like so many other products these days. [emoticon]

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/21 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because of cheating I am going to try "Henry's" I have no idea if they are better, but I cannot afford the garbage put out by Gillette. Only their 5 blade flagship model performs decently but even purchased through Sam's or Costco, the price per shave is absurd.

I also switched to NIVEA from Gel products. Everyone wants to be a billionaire.

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/21 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get my blades from the Dollar Shave Club. The back of the blade has a blade for trimming my sideburns. Much cheaper then Gillette blades. I use a hockey soap puck that I keep in a mug. I wet the puck and apply the soap with a shaving brush. I pay around $2 per soap. Some shaving cream/gel clog up the blades on a multi-blade razer then they don't cut well.

2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/21 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're not imagining, disposable razors are junk. After some searching I began using Gillette SkinGuard blades in conjunction with the Gillette Pure shave cream. Neither are cheap, but probably best shave in my life. Get about 6 shaves out a cartridge. Think I paid 30 bucks for the handle which came with 4 blade cartridges and 8 additional cartridges on Amazon. SkinGuard is a 2 blade cartridge with this funny looking guard between the blades and an aloe impregnated lube strip. Don't get the science but it's a great shave.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/21 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had very good experiences with the Braun electric razors. Great shave, no pulling or irritation.

RayJayco

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/21 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bic disposables and bar soap for about 45 years, no problems...

Inquiring minds want to know...

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/21 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the exception of my time in the Marines, I have always had facial hair to some degree. Usually it was a kept goatee year round with the exception of growing it out a couple weeks before hunting season of which I would keep until late winter.

I have used most all types of store bought razors. They are all of questionable quality, sharpness and longevity. I ended up trying the Harry's Brand and it seems to be the best one on the market in my opinion.

Harry's

I would use a gel type foam from a can and finish up with a splash of bay rum.

This was my remembrance of Harry's when I last used their product. Even with a beard, I would use a razor to clean up the neck line and upper cheek areas... I have not touched a shaving device in about 3 years and look more like Billy Gibbons now in length.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Disposable Razors Observation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.