Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Disposable Razors Observation
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Disposable Razors Observation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RayJayco wrote:

Bic disposables and bar soap for about 45 years, no problems...

I forgot all about the Bic disposables! I had also used them for quite a long time. They were inexpesive and good. I will by some next time I'm shopping.

Years ago, I also used bar soap (Ivory) instead of shave cream. Now I use Barbasol with Aloe, and satisfied with it. The first thing I do is apply hot water (as hot as I can stand it) to help soften the whiskers, and leave the face wet. I discontinued used the Ivory soap because I believe it was causing some weird discoloration on my skin when viewed in bright sunlight. Kinda looked like lots of little round dots, a little darker than my normal skin. Of course some other issue may have been causing the skin problem, but that's all now in the past.

I may try some of the other products mentioned by you folks, so thanks for your suggestions. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/21 10:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have NEVER gotten a good close shave with any disposable....single blade or multi blade

My whiskers are like wire....tough, curly

Only good shave is with shaving soap, brush and the ole double edge razor

Wash face with soap/water and then rinse (hot water)
Get up a good lather...cover face, wait 15 seconds the apply another coating
Couple strokes with the double edge, flip to other side...couple strokes then open/rinse in hot running water to clear whiskers and have a go at it again

I just wish Barbers did shaves.....haven't find one in years
Hot towel, warm lather and a straight razor....oh yeah!

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/21 02:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used the Gillette Good News disposable razors for years and they worked OK for me. The recent price increases caused me to look some more so I found similar Gillette razors in a pack of 52 at Sam's Club on sale for a fair price. Well that was a mistake, they don't shave as well and last half as long.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a fan of electrics but I have a HARRY's and a 5 blade Gillete both work well. I have an electric too but almost never use it.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/21 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why on earth would you have tried disposables anyway. Their only use is if you need a touch up before appearing before a judge! Poor quality, non existent comfort and non recyclable plastic. Plastic lasts forever and you need to shave that badly? For What?
I use the old style double edge safety razor. A Merker handle and Feather blades. Handle and head were about thirty bucks on Amazon,The blades were very reasonable.
I first went back to double edge as a protest against the cost of blades. It was a blood bath for a couple of weeks, but now is fine.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/21 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

I have NEVER gotten a good close shave with any disposable....single blade or multi blade

My whiskers are like wire....tough, curly

Only good shave is with shaving soap, brush and the ole double edge razor

Wash face with soap/water and then rinse (hot water)
Get up a good lather...cover face, wait 15 seconds the apply another coating
Couple strokes with the double edge, flip to other side...couple strokes then open/rinse in hot running water to clear whiskers and have a go at it again

I just wish Barbers did shaves.....haven't find one in years
Hot towel, warm lather and a straight razor....oh yeah!

Oh yes how I miss a good barber shop shave!

Shearwater

NE Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year I was prescribed an anticoagulant(Eliquis) and needed to switch to an electric razor to avoid facial bleeds. I tried both foil type and rotary models and wound up with an expensive Braun model. My observations:
1. (Most important) You need to shave every day. Once the little hairs get long enough to become flexible, they get deflected by the foil and don't enter the little holes to get cut.
2. Shaving is very directional - if the hairs point left to right you need to shave right to left.
3. You never, ever get a close shave, all you can get is shorter stubble.

Advanced RV Sprinter

RayJayco

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr. Ed, Try Dove bar soap. One of my lady friends got it for me years ago and I have been using it ever since.

For years I used Ivory because my little sister had some sort of allergy to other soaps. Then I started using Irish Spring. Then, as I said, I tried Dove...

I have only used shaving cream a few times due to it being gifted to me, I have never bought it. I wasn't able to justify the cost difference.

I do believe that technique can make a difference for some, not all as we are all different. I have no problem experimenting instead of following the same pattern.
You never know until you try!

Good luck and best wishes for your success!

Inquiring minds want to know...

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shearwater wrote:

Last year I was prescribed an anticoagulant(Eliquis) and needed to switch to an electric razor to avoid facial bleeds. I tried both foil type and rotary models and wound up with an expensive Braun model. My observations:
1. (Most important) You need to shave every day. Once the little hairs get long enough to become flexible, they get deflected by the foil and don't enter the little holes to get cut.
2. Shaving is very directional - if the hairs point left to right you need to shave right to left.

Been on blood thinner since 2012 *Coumadin
Wasn't aware I couldn't use a razor.......no more frequent bleeding from nicks before or after
Styptic Pencil!

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Shearwater wrote:

Been on blood thinner since 2012 *Coumadin
Wasn't aware I couldn't use a razor.......no more frequent bleeding from nicks before or after
Styptic Pencil!

I've been on a blood thinner for years and still use a bladed razor, If I nick myself I simply apply a styptic pencil to instantly stop the bleeding. I have no fear of bleeding to death. [emoticon] (I take Eliquis now)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Disposable Razors Observation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.