Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Disposable Razors Observation
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Disposable Razors Observation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

I have NEVER gotten a good close shave with any disposable....single blade or multi blade

My whiskers are like wire....tough, curly

Only good shave is with shaving soap, brush and the ole double edge razor

Wash face with soap/water and then rinse (hot water)
Get up a good lather...cover face, wait 15 seconds the apply another coating
Couple strokes with the double edge, flip to other side...couple strokes then open/rinse in hot running water to clear whiskers and have a go at it again

I just wish Barbers did shaves.....haven't find one in years
Hot towel, warm lather and a straight razor....oh yeah!

Yep! I remember well, that's how my father shaved back in the 40's through 60's, using the old double edged blade and metal holder, and shaving soap with brush. Maybe that's the way to go. Thanks for the memory. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

why not a straight razor?

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 03:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

None of today's blades have the same quality as they did 60 years ago. I started with Gilette Blue Blades. The gizmo krap seemed to start with self heating lather. Disponible blade razors came from Japan like the BIC. When they moved to China they were doomed to mediocrity. The Japanese are famed for their Katana swords. As a note an engineer in Japan at the Kyocera headquarters became enamored with the idea of making blades with ceramic construction. He tried for five years without success. He could not make the blades dull enough to avoid slicing up his face.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

None of today's blades have the same quality as they did 60 years ago. I started with Gilette Blue Blades. The gizmo krap seemed to start with self heating lather. Disponible blade razors came from Japan like the BIC. When they moved to China they were doomed to mediocrity. The Japanese are famed for their Katana swords. As a note an engineer in Japan at the Kyocera headquarters became enamored with the idea of making blades with ceramic construction. He tried for five years without success. He could not make the blades dull enough to avoid slicing up his face.

Obsidian can be made sharper than our current razor blades, so I've read. It was employed by ancient people for all sorts of cutting tasks, and needed to be handled carefully. If obsidian was used instead of steel, that would give a "close shave". Perhaps so close, it may shave off your skin! [emoticon]
Yes, I remember the self heating lather in a can. Another gimmick, like you said. it never was hot enough to make any difference. Way back in the old days, the barber would apply a hot, steamy towel to the face before applying lather. Then he'd use a straight razor. Today, he'd probably be sued for causing pain and suffering. [emoticon]

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, i went ahead and bought some of Walmart's own brand, Equate 3 blade razors, just to try out. It did a pretty good job, but left some stubble on part of my neck possibly because I didn't shave that part in the right direction. Still, it looks like a keeper. After over 50 years of shaving, there are still things to learn. [emoticon]

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slowly but surely I am arriving at a new norm for what suits me. Nivea aerosol cream is a keeper. The Gillette assortment sold down here is a little rich for my blood and the Gillette Mach Turbocharger or however the brand name goes is priced ridiculously for Chinese blades.

I hate buying bulk in blind, but I'll cross my fingers and buy the USA Costco display card of Henry's blades.

Etstorm

Frankston,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Because of cheating I am going to try "Henry's" I have no idea if they are better, but I cannot afford the garbage put out by Gillette. Only their 5 blade flagship model performs decently but even purchased through Sam's or Costco, the price per shave is absurd.

I also switched to NIVEA from Gel products. Everyone wants to be a billionaire.

Try Darco 5 blade on Amazon
Cheaper than disposables

Expyinflight

Mesa, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/21 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomasmnile wrote:

You're not imagining, disposable razors are junk. After some searching I began using Gillette SkinGuard blades in conjunction with the Gillette Pure shave cream. Neither are cheap, but probably best shave in my life. Get about 6 shaves out a cartridge. Think I paid 30 bucks for the handle which came with 4 blade cartridges and 8 additional cartridges on Amazon. SkinGuard is a 2 blade cartridge with this funny looking guard between the blades and an aloe impregnated lube strip. Don't get the science but it's a great shave.

I have also been using the Gillette SkinGuard razor for over a year now. Best shave I have ever had. Totally satisfied, though they are pricey.

2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I buy a pack (10 ct) of double edge razor blades at Grocery Store for $5

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/21 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been using BIC "Sensitive" disposable razors for years at about $3 a dozen. I get a clean shave with no nicks or cuts using Coast bar soap in the shower. The county recycling program that serves our Adirondack family cottage accepts the plastic disposable razors.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Disposable Razors Observation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.