Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: New Camping Buddies
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> New Camping Buddies

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DilanYah I would recommend a separate post as this one is buried pretty far in.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DilanYah wrote:

We're in the process of looking for a dog as a family pet (possible rescue). We're looking for a small young one that's good with children. So far we're considering papillons, shih tzu, and affenpinscher. I have no knowledge of the affenpinscher. If anyone owns one, I would appreciate hearing your comments.

Shih tzus and affenpinschers are both short nosed dogs and can have trouble with heat. As RVers, that could be a consideration.

Papillons and affenpinschers are more athletic and willing to be outside exploring.

Shih tzus require the most grooming - regular puppy cuts or daily brushing and keeping hair out of their eyes. Affenpinschers will need their faces trimmed regularly.

Shih tzus are likely to have more issues with potty training.

The French call the affenpinscher "mustached little devils". They can be stubborn and are more terrier like in attitude.

Papillons are pretty easy to train and have an attitude more like a spaniel.

All are small, so not necessarily great with small kids. Affenpinschers will be more feisty in their play. Papillons should be pretty good with kids as long as no pulling on the ears.

If I had to choose for myself, I would say affenpinscher, then papillon, then shih tzu. But that's because I prefer the tougher sturdier terriers to other small dogs. For someone else, I'd probably say papillon, affenpinscher, shih tzu because the papillon will be easier to train but still have an active attitude. Personally, I'm not that fond of shih tzus - known too many yippy ones. And I hate that folks started buying them just so they could mispronounce their breed and think it was funny.

Personally, I really recommend a rescue dog. But, a rescue papillon or affenpinscher is not going to be an easy find. There are likely to be rescue shih tzu mixes all over - backyard breeders have been mixing them with all sorts of breeds to create new "fashion breeds". Please don't buy one of these.

The most common small rescue dog you'll see will be chihuahua mixes.

Hope that helps.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

He does love it. His sister doesn't and she will try to redirect him away from the water.

He's reaching the point where his energy doesn't ebb and flow as much. After a long water session yesterday, he went inside, moved all the throw blankets and then tried to play with The Twooney. I had to take him back out for the tennis balls when he started chewing on Looney2.

Have you ever heard the "difference between a BC and an Aussie?" The Aussie has an "off switch".....LOL!

I'll keep your stamina in my prayers ;-)

Thanks. He got his final puppy shots - finally. So tomorrow Aunt C, Cat-dog and I are taking Tornado-dog out for a hike. It will be his first outdoor adventure and will hopefully tire him out.

He has been busy ripping up cardboard. I no longer have to break boxes down for the recycle bin. Tornado-dog turns them into confetti very quickly.

Hmmm, if Aussies have an off switch and BCs don't, that must mean JRTs have a turbo boost.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, he has learned the trick with the hose. He likes to race up the spray attacking it as he heads towards the nozzle but he would choke on the water as it hit the inside of his throat.

So now as he races up the spray, he holds his head so it hits him on the chest. Then he attacks the redirected spray coming off his chest. No more choking on the water.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Deb and Ed M wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

He does love it. His sister doesn't and she will try to redirect him away from the water.

He's reaching the point where his energy doesn't ebb and flow as much. After a long water session yesterday, he went inside, moved all the throw blankets and then tried to play with The Twooney. I had to take him back out for the tennis balls when he started chewing on Looney2.

Have you ever heard the "difference between a BC and an Aussie?" The Aussie has an "off switch".....LOL!

I'll keep your stamina in my prayers ;-)

Thanks. He got his final puppy shots - finally. So tomorrow Aunt C, Cat-dog and I are taking Tornado-dog out for a hike. It will be his first outdoor adventure and will hopefully tire him out.

He has been busy ripping up cardboard. I no longer have to break boxes down for the recycle bin. Tornado-dog turns them into confetti very quickly.

Hmmm, if Aussies have an off switch and BCs don't, that must mean JRTs have a turbo boost.
Both my Collies love turning boxes into confetti, now that they are getting older not so much. Use to joke with my sister about getting the Collies boxes for Christmas.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You mean he's showing a collie trait?? Finally something other than the JRT!

Of course it would have to be something like shredding boxes - otherwise his brain might explode from the conficting messages:

JRT brain cells - destroy it
collie brain cells - no be nice to it
BOOM!

No more brain cells.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/21 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The other day we took the dogs to the river. It was Tornado-dog's first ever outing. They both had a blast!

Tornado-dog saw butterflies and birds and discovered all sorts of smells. He waded in the river. At one point, he waded without thinking and hit a dip - he went in all the way over his back. He was hesitant to wade after that, but a few well placed sticks helped him overcome his worry. He did a lot of digging in the sand. And was very well-behaved.

The real surprise was Cat-dog. She happily waded in the water. And then she found a nice shallow pool and laid down all content. She kept watch over her baby brother and enjoyed being outside. She didn't worry about other dogs - other than when we were on the trail. She was happier than I've seen her outside of being around a puppy.

I think they will adjust to camping just fine. Now to get out there...

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Of course it would have to be something like shredding boxes - otherwise his brain might explode from the conficting messages:

BOOM!

No more brain cells.

This made me burst out laughing!! At one time, I had 2 "herders" - Ike my Aussie and Jack my Cattle Dog. They were absolutely pals - inseparable; so when I heard Ike growl a lion-like snarl at Jack one day, I went to check out what the problem was! Ike was laying with a baby bird straddled between his front legs - he was going to protect it no matter what. Jack, on the other hand, was bouncing around because it was a "strange animal" that had no business on our property and "let's bite it and make it leave". Fortunately for the baby bird (that I placed back in its nest) Ike's sheer size (he was huge for an Aussie) won out.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

BOOM!

No more brain cells.

This made me burst out laughing!! At one time, I had 2 "herders" - Ike my Aussie and Jack my Cattle Dog. They were absolutely pals - inseparable; so when I heard Ike growl a lion-like snarl at Jack one day, I went to check out what the problem was! Ike was laying with a baby bird straddled between his front legs - he was going to protect it no matter what. Jack, on the other hand, was bouncing around because it was a "strange animal" that had no business on our property and "let's bite it and make it leave". Fortunately for the baby bird (that I placed back in its nest) Ike's sheer size (he was huge for an Aussie) won out.

I love it. Ike was a good boy protecting that bird.

Right now Tornado-dog's biggest hurtle is getting his brain to register his size. He thinks nothing of making a sudden impromptu jump onto the couch - right onto my head because he thinks he can jump into my lap but he doesn't fit.

My biggest hurtle is trying to refocus some of his tendencies while not affecting his single-minded happiness.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Re: refocusing: the collie side wants to work. To "help" you. They need jobs - even if those jobs are silly. Jimmy (R.I.P.) was dedicated to carrying my socks downstairs so I could put them on. Augie picks up things I might drop (pen, cars keys, spoon, etc) and carry them to me. He's extended that job, to picking up the house: a scrap of paper or toy lost under the couch? "Here, I found this". His alltime favorite chore is popping those air pillows that come with an Amazon package. The delivery guy thinks Augie LOVES him because he jumps happily every time a package is delivered - while Augie is crazy-friendly (very un-Aussie) he knows what those boxes contain....>LOL!

How to refocus a JRT? No clue.....LOL!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> New Camping Buddies
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.