cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Conditions of I-81 thru PA

Salty_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Taking a trip to Bristol, TN from central New York State. Inquiring on the condition of I-81 both southbound and northbound. Trying to determine if Rt 15 (I-99) is a better choice although slightly longer. Thanks in advance.
Wife, kids, somebody else's kids, dog, kitchen sink

Cleverly disguised as an adult.
11 REPLIES 11

Stevebx
Explorer
Explorer
I take 15 both ways going to Florida and back, from the NY border/Corning area. I like the route for the most part. Some slowdowns in the Lewisburg and the next city south of that one but usually not bad. It gives you places to stop if you need to eat or use a restroom. I always stop at the Country Cupboard in Lewisburg, both for the dog's sake and mine. Nice place to stretch while you shop a little, and hit the bakery they have. Also clean restrooms. I join 81 when I get to southern PA border.
Steven Brewer

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were on I81 last June. I thought I'd try i81 south from Scranton. Bad decision. Rough tough road. We usually take Rt 209 south from Matamoras Pa to Tremont Pa. Longer but it's just easier. I don't know but I hope this helps. We too are headed toward Tennessee. Going to pick up US 412 out of Columbia Tn, with a stop in Nashville. If it dries out by then. So it looks like I81 south from Harrisburg..
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

HEY ! ! We here in PA are proud of our crappy/run down roads... They let us know we are almost home ! !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
PA state motto: Roadwork Ahead
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
gbopp wrote:
When traveling in Pennsylvania always assume you will encounter road maintenance/repairs.

I also live in PA, but your sentence needs a bit of adjustment.

When traveling in Pennsylvania always assume you will encounter road(S IN NEED OF} maintenance/repairs.

You are correct. What was I thinking? :S

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
When traveling in Pennsylvania always assume you will encounter road maintenance/repairs.

I also live in PA, but your sentence needs a bit of adjustment.

When traveling in Pennsylvania always assume you will encounter road(S IN NEED OF} maintenance/repairs.

With the corrupt patronage system of the past and the phony prevailing wage nonsense, PA will always have bad roads because of the jacked up costs. Even with the highest fuel taxes in the nation they still wanted more. Now CA passed us with gas taxes but PA wants to add tolls to glean more money for their corrupt system and massively corrupt Pennsylvania Turnpike. Never will you hear that PA is doing anything to cut cost.

My daughter & SIL just got back from TN, they said the worst road was I81 in PA.

Salty_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
We have traveled both routes in the past but not since 2019. I-81 used to be fairly rough in stretches and was looking for any info on the condition. We will be heading to the dirt mod races towards the end of April. Using 15 puts us thru a few urban areas where travel speed is very restricted but generally is a nicer drive, although our plans include being in those areas at entirely the wrong time of day.
Wife, kids, somebody else's kids, dog, kitchen sink

Cleverly disguised as an adult.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
You will have a lot less trucks and high speeds on 15. I'm not sure about the new road north of Williamsport but everything south of there has a max speed of 55. The only congested area you will find is the 3.5 miles from Shamokin dam to Hummels Wharf. Quite a few red lights but also a few large parking lots to get into for lunch. 15 would be a lot less stressful if I were driving it.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

For road conditions check 511PA.com.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I know Wegman's drivers used to run 15 to Harrisburg from Rochester when they did the stores around DC some 15+ years ago. When ya headed down as we are going to the "fall" race in Sept.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
As of a couple months ago, pretty much normal: some construction here and there, some congestion, not the world's smoothest highway, but not terribly rough either. The speed limit is 55 for a fair few miles of it through some of the urban areas.

Depending on where you are in New York ("Central New York" is a pretty broad area), US 15 might be a good option, too. Between New York and Williamsport (at least) it's practically an interstate highway.