Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Buying a new TC
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Buying a new TC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/21 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

The manufacturer weight placard for my Cirrus camper is very accurate.

The "placard" gives the dry weight of the specific completed unit. The OP is looking at advertised weights which are often much different because they do not include upgrades, options, modifications.

For my camper the advertised spec weight did not include the weight of the AC, microwave, or awnings. The specs also did not include the weight for an extended overhang to accommodate a queen sized bed.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/21 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

GVWR is pretty much meaningless for carrying a TC. Rear axle rating (tires/wheels) is what you need to pay attention to. I carry a much heavier camper on SRW F350 gasser. I am within my axle rating by several hundreds pounds on stock Michelin tires.
...... Bill

The GVWR is certainly not "meaningless". Typically that load rating is based on the load capacity of the tires. The stock tires for the OPs truck are 275/65r/18 with a load capacity of 3415 or a combined axle load of 6830. Replacing tires with a larger size might be the first step for upgrading but manufacturers often use rims that are similarly rated so it might be necessary to upgrade rims and wheels. That leaves the shocks and springs which were not designed for the heavier weight. That leads to another round of upgrades. Fact is the camper is too heavy for the truck the OP bought.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/21 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then on top of that, add the rarely mentioned components/brackets/fasteners that mount/hold all those components to the truck frame. Spec's of those would also go into the GVWR.

If you are just converting your truck camper to a shack and setting it down on a rear axle only, then the axle rating is going to be your primary consideration. Next would be keeping balanced while you get in and out......

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/21 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

noteven wrote:

The manufacturer weight placard for my Cirrus camper is very accurate.

The "placard" gives the dry weight of the specific completed unit. The OP is looking at advertised weights which are often much different because they do not include upgrades, options, modifications.

For my camper the advertised spec weight did not include the weight of the AC, microwave, or awnings. The specs also did not include the weight for an extended overhang to accommodate a queen sized bed.

Actually it lists and includes the base camper, plus fresh water, plus propane, plus 2.2 lbs of ice in the fridge, plus options: rear awning, roof racks, backup camera, solar kit, glow step, pass through window.

It is accurate.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/21 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But yes when you look at advertised base weight you add weight for factory options.

A little work with your dealer should make it possible to discover this info.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/21 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

But yes when you look at advertised base weight you add weight for factory options.

Unfortunately that depends on the manufacturer and whether they provide that data to the dealer or prospective buyer. Look at manufacturer specs and you will often see no mention of the weight of accessories.

In addition I have not seen dealers who are interested in warning or discussing the weight issue with prospective buyers.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/21 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

noteven wrote:

Unfortunately that depends on the manufacturer and whether they provide that data to the dealer or prospective buyer. Look at manufacturer specs and you will often see no mention of the weight of accessories.

In addition I have not seen dealers who are interested in warning or discussing the weight issue with prospective buyers.

I had to sign a waiver at time of delivery that the weight and center of gravity of the camper as equipped and what payload capacity truck was recommended was explained and discussed.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/21 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

billtex wrote:

GVWR is pretty much meaningless for carrying a TC. Rear axle rating (tires/wheels) is what you need to pay attention to. I carry a much heavier camper on SRW F350 gasser. I am within my axle rating by several hundreds pounds on stock Michelin tires.
...... Bill

The GVWR is certainly not "meaningless". Typically that load rating is based on the load capacity of the tires. The stock tires for the OPs truck are 275/65r/18 with a load capacity of 3415 or a combined axle load of 6830. Replacing tires with a larger size might be the first step for upgrading but manufacturers often use rims that are similarly rated so it might be necessary to upgrade rims and wheels. That leaves the shocks and springs which were not designed for the heavier weight. That leads to another round of upgrades. Fact is the camper is too heavy for the truck the OP bought.

You are confusing RAWR with GVWR.

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

run100

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/21 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This past February marked our 20-year anniversary of truck camping. The span of years has included two truck campers and two F350's. We added air bags to the first truck, but have been running our 2012 6.7 s/b stock. Both set-ups handled amazingly well - especially our current truck. Uphill, downhill, curvy roads and even high winds have never presented an issue. Honestly, it is extremely fun to drive and we did so again this week, with a couple days of mid-week camping.

Although each truck and camper combination will have different specs and characteristics, I also agree with others that suggest running stock, at first, to see if you're satisfied with how the rig handles.

Good luck with your upcoming purchase. Most of all - Be safe and have FUN!

2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Buying a new TC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.