cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinion on Weights

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
I had a cougar 28rbs and a 2017 f150 ecoboost for several years. This combination seems to be perfect.

Last year we upgraded to a Sportrek Touring 312VBH. It was 3 feet longer and weighed about 1500 pounds more. Not a big deal.........or so we thought. It was a nightmare towing as the trailer would push the truck around. Power was fine, it was the stability.

We now just trader in the truck for a 2017 ram 2500 diesel. This truck sits almost a foot higher than my old truck so I have to completely re-adjust my equalizer hitch. Went to get weighed and the following are my weights.

Truck Only-
Front- 5000lbs
Rear- 3400

With Trailer and no Bars
Front- 4480
Rear- 5200
Trailer- 7120

With Trailer and Bars
Front- 4660
Rear- 4960
Trailer- 7200

I seem to have lost 20 pounds between the two weights. Not sure how that happened, but whatever. I had the bars in the bed of the truck so the total weight should not have changed.

I am re-distrubuting enough wait? I can see that my tongue weight it pretty high which was likely the issue with the F150. Should I adjust the hitch or am I good to go. Does anyone see any issues with Tow vehicle trailer combination and these weights?
11 REPLIES 11

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
When I went from an F150 to a Ram 2500 I had to get a longer drop shank.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
IDEALLY you want to restore the front axle to its unloaded weight, and currently you are still a few hundred pounds short. Current recommendation from most OEMs is to restore at least half the weight, which you are pretty close to. What you do NOT want to do is go heavier than unloaded weight.

HOWEVER if you are happy with the way the truck handles now, and you are within the weight ratings of your receiver and hitch hardware (which you should be, as it is a 3/4 ton truck), then it is fine as it is.

Did you adjust the weight distributing hitch with the new trailer on the F150 before giving up on it? Every truck/trailer combination is different.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the opinions. It seemed to drive nice but I did not go far. Being in Canada we donโ€™t really start camping for another few weeks. I think Iโ€™ll leave it as currently set for now and see how it goes.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
HydrogenCyanide wrote:

I am re-distrubuting enough wait? Should I adjust the hitch or am I good to go. Does anyone see any issues with Tow vehicle trailer combination and these weights?

There's nothing wrong with your setup, so it's up to you to decide if you like how it drives or want to adjust.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
HydrogenCyanide wrote:
I had a cougar 28rbs and a 2017 f150 ecoboost for several years. This combination seems to be perfect.

Last year we upgraded to a Sportrek Touring 312VBH. It was 3 feet longer and weighed about 1500 pounds more. Not a big deal.........or so we thought. It was a nightmare towing as the trailer would push the truck around. Power was fine, it was the stability.

We now just trader in the truck for a 2017 ram 2500 diesel. This truck sits almost a foot higher than my old truck so I have to completely re-adjust my equalizer hitch. Went to get weighed and the following are my weights.

Truck Only-
Front- 5000lbs
Rear- 3400

With Trailer and no Bars
Front- 4480
Rear- 5200
Trailer- 7120

With Trailer and Bars
Front- 4660
Rear- 4960
Trailer- 7200

I seem to have lost 20 pounds between the two weights. Not sure how that happened, but whatever. I had the bars in the bed of the truck so the total weight should not have changed.

I am re-distrubuting enough wait? I can see that my tongue weight it pretty high which was likely the issue with the F150. Should I adjust the hitch or am I good to go. Does anyone see any issues with Tow vehicle trailer combination and these weights?

Asking for opinions on weight... What? Are you a masochist?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Loaded up you have more than a ton on each front tire. With a tongue weight of 15% and if you are level, I think you are set!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I would want to know the tongue weight of the trailer, unhitched.

Then calculate it. OP provided all the info needed.

Truck weighs 8400 without trailer
Truck axles weigh 9680 with trailer (no WDH connected).
Therefore hitch weight 1280
Therefore trailer weight 8480 and hitch weight is 15.1%.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
20# is the scale resolution. Don't sweat the small stuff.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I would want to know the tongue weight of the trailer, unhitched.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If there is an option to adjust a little more it wouldn't be bad but with the bigger truck and in particular the diesel, the front axle has plenty of weight on it.

How does it tow with the current adjustments?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Make sure that you are sitting level since your new truck sits taller than your old one.