Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: EverChill Refrigerator
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> EverChill Refrigerator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know that there has been discussions about 12 volt fridges on here before. But, has anyone had any experience with these EverChill 12 volt fridges ?? I heard a person saying that one of the popular RV manufactures were going to discontinue absorption fridges and switch to only using these. I sometimes like to go dry camping and I wonder how long these would run off of a couple of batteries ? Here is a couple of videos claiming they will do OK but, neither video was taken in a real world set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUHwxxwNuOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNCnwXOh1ng

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The double-door one says 65w, which is pretty small. So at a 50% duty cycle, that's about (65/12) x 12= 65ah. 2 6v acid tubs is about 120ah, useable. So that's about half your capacity. I think I'd be going with at least 4 batteries and some good solar. Resi (compressor) fridges may surprise you with their appetites.
CavemanCharlie wrote:

I heard a person saying that one of the popular RV manufactures were going to discontinue absorption fridges and switch to only using these.
The only reason they'd be doing that is because of cost, and unwary customers. The gas refers, imho, are still the best for dry camping.

* This post was edited 03/29/21 02:01pm by 2oldman *

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First Videos are a waste of bandwidth in my opinion..
The folks saying RV makers are going to abandon Absorption fridges. A technology that's older than my Grandfather.. Way older and grandpa was a refrigeration engineer (Maternal side he died before I was born by about a month) I think those folks are talking through their hat as once was said.

They are, however, offering electric as an option.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm using a GE 9.8 cu.ft 12V fridge. Very similar to the Everchill. Replaced my POS Nevercold with it. I have 4 GC 6V batteries and 400W of solar. I can go for days without worrying. I'll never go back to absorption.
Back story is that my 1.5 year old Norcold had clogged lines. I tried everything to remedy the situation except take it out and burp it. It started to not cool after the 1st year. everything was fine as far as the heating element on gas or elect. I did the by pass fix and the temps never wavier'd much from the outside ambient temps. I even installed two fans on the roof cover to help draw air up pass the lines.

I could've went with a JC refrigeration convert kit but decided to not have to deal with the Norcold electronics that also seem to be an issue from time to time.
started researching and it seems that 12V fridges have been in the marine world for years. I found my GE at a local appliance store. $950 with a 3 year warranty. about the same price for the JC conversion. But I got 2 more cu.ft, don't have to deal with propane or the whole elec to propane back and forth situation. The GE cools down in a few hrs and holds 35-36 and -4 to 10 on the freezer. It's quiet and I can run it while traveling without worries.

My 12V fridge is 9.8 cu.ft and fit right in the hole for the 8 (7.5) cu.ft Nevercold.
I wired it directly to a 12V breaker on my converter box.
Used some of the NC trims to finish it off.
Inside is like a res fridge. More open and usable. If this one fails I'll get another 12V.
I will say though you do need good batteries and at least some solar. 200W would be sufficient for several days of nice weather and not using the house batteries for big items. Solar's free and panels aren't much if you shop around. Mine were only $95 or so each. Pick up a simple solar charger and thats all.

The extra room and simplicity alone are worth it to me. I would never do a res fridge as they require an inverter and draw too much power.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/21 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

The folks saying RV makers are going to abandon Absorption fridges. A technology that's older than my Grandfather.. Way older and grandpa was a refrigeration engineer (Maternal side he died before I was born by about a month) I think those folks are talking through their hat as once was said.

They are, however, offering electric as an option.

Kind of like Ford offered any color you want as long as it's black.

We bought a trailer last fall and almost no absorption fridges available.

Not 100% sold yet on durability but so far no issues with 6 months. They did include what they refer to as a "juice pack" but it's a little underbuilt. It's a 50w solar panel, 10amp controller and a single battery. They recommend turning the thermostat down when boondocking to reduce amp-hrs used. Eventually, we will get a portable solar panel to supplement along with a 2nd battery.

The pros is for the same space, it has around 30% more interior space. Also, it cools much quicker when you load it up.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What it seems most of you don't know is that the vast majority of RV people go from FHU site to another FHU site. True boondocking is not even in the cards. We went to a doem reefer and an inverter when the OE unit died and we could not purchase a repair cooling unit and have any money left for a vacation. 12 years later, the temporary fix is still there.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

They did include what they refer to as a "juice pack" but it's a little underbuilt. It's a 50w solar panel, 10amp controller and a single battery.
Underbuilt would be an understatement. 50w of solar is almost nothing.

marthasmith19o2

Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 10:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, I need advice on wher6e can I get the best service for Fridge Repair Dubai within budget.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/21 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

They did include what they refer to as a "juice pack" but it's a little underbuilt. It's a 50w solar panel, 10amp controller and a single battery.
Underbuilt would be an understatement. 50w of solar is almost nothing.

We've only utilized it a couple times and battery was down to about 12.5v by morning. Once the sun was up, voltage stabilized but each time we were hitting the road, so didn't get a chance to see if it would recharge.

Of course, that's just running the fridge and a couple lights. Of course, it's not going to support larger loads.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marthasmith19o2 wrote:

Hi, I need advice on wher6e can I get the best service for Fridge Repair Dubai within budget.

Try https://rv-binlahej.com/

Or search on google.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> EverChill Refrigerator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.