cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear view camera placement on trailer?

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it better to position a wireless rear view camera on a tt on the bumper, or up high? It seems I always notice them up high and not the bumper.
11 REPLIES 11

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great idea with the rear window.

The thread below shows how I mounted mine on a PVC outdoor electrical box below the center light. Also shows how I ran the wiring...

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30216655.cfm

The comment above about wifi latency is exactly why I now only use wired cameras. I got tired of seeing a car appear off my left cab mirror before it showed up on the backup camera.

That extra second or so of latency could be critical when backing up.

With the wired camera, I see no latency whatsoever. Just an extra set of plugs to connect and secure with electrical tape when we hook the trailer up. On the motorhome we used to have, it was permanent wiring between the dash head unit and the camera.

My camera just below clearance light height is set up to see about a foot off the bumper, and that covers about 100' backward, so it's not as clear of a rear view camera as you might have in your truck or SUV, but it works fine for changing lanes and backing up in gas stations.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Hopkins uses the clearance light screws. You could invent something to mount yours that does the same and use some goop as required for water-proofing.

https://hopkinstowingsolutions.com/products/towing-cameras/50050.html

I mounted mine on a piece of wood and prop it up in the back window. This way I can switch it back and forth between the Class C and the TC whichever RV we are using. The display is your "device" so that is portable too. I put the device (an older small size iPad) on the rear view mirror with elastic bands.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
mtnbbud wrote:
Thanks all!

Has anyone tried epoxying a bracket to bolt their camera to rather than drilling holes in their roof? I'm sure I could seal up the holes just fine - just wondering...

I definitely wouldn't put the holes in the roof, much better to put them in the rear wall.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all!

Has anyone tried epoxying a bracket to bolt their camera to rather than drilling holes in their roof? I'm sure I could seal up the holes just fine - just wondering...

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
You can see the camera just to the right of ladder rail.
It's wired into center marker light.
From this position I can watch Little Creeker trailer and a wide view of traffic behind me.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
I connected the 12v on my wireless at the center running light. Great view of oncoming vehicles.

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll probably hook it up to a 12 volt battery and have a helper move the camera to different positions when its on. It'd be nice to avoid drilling holes into my camper if possible.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also, don't mount close to any running lights.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Hopkins. It comes with a holder that is designed to go with a clearance light or however, but the camera can be tilted up or down in the holder.

I use it for driving where the truck rear view mirror is no use. If mounted low, I would only be able to see the car right behind which would block the view of farther back down the road.

It has optional guide lines you can turn on or off for using it to back up, and a night light you can switch on or off too from in the truck.

One thing with the wifi is there is a time delay to the display so you see a car starting to pass on the display, but it is already beside you. I think it is from "processing time". OTOH when you pass and want to pull back over, when you see the car you passed showing on the display, you are well past him. But do still confirm that with the passenger side mirror!
Photo in Profile

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks. Looking at my max angle if I mount it up high it seems like I won't be able to see back very far, but would be able to see the corners of my bumper I want.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Up high means less likely to be stolen, but still needs cleaning off so close to the ladder. Mine is about half way up, but still high enough to see over the car behind to behind it. (I have mine inside looking out the back window but that means keeping the window clean) Might depend on getting power to the camera too. Tapping into a clearance light is one way for up high.
Photo in Profile