Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Lock em up... a long story
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Lock em up... a long story

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/21 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, there is a market. Most stolen goods sell for a minimal amount. A $10K trailer can sell to a homeless person, meth addict, etc, for $100 and it's a profit for the thief.

With my motorhome, they used it as a base to sell the contents.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bizarre story, thanks for sharing.
Not sure how thieves have a chance today with most homeowners and businesses sporting security cameras.

I would suggest to your neighbor to also join the masses and install cameras.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/21 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

Bizarre story, thanks for sharing.
Not sure how thieves have a chance today with most homeowners and businesses sporting security cameras.

I would suggest to your neighbor to also join the masses and install cameras.

Security cameras don't prevent crime - they just hopefully provide proof to prosecute the criminals after the crime.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, being from the valley we always loved Payson as we drove through on our way to the Mogollon Rim and the glorious White Mountains of AZ. Last time we drove through it has grown so much, so many from PHX and Tucson have purchased getaway property that can sit unattended for months.

Having property out in the country (as we do) you actually need to be more active with deterrents, thieves are aware that it is easy pickings, all they have to do is drive around, pretty obvious to these lowlifes which properties appear unattended, glad you were watching out for your neighbors.

Never had anything burgled at our primary residences, we reside on an acre lot and I do watch for unusual activity, don't have a lot of traffic making it easy to notice vehicles that don't belong. Different story at our ranch, once past the gate thieves can get to our belongings unseen from road.

Expyinflight

Mesa, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We built our home in Payson in 2006. It is no longer the quiet, sleepy little town folks once imagined it to be. Too much infiltration from the Phoenix/Valley area now. Drugs and theft have been a big problem in Payson for many years, as any member of the PD will tell you.

2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I will go look for a hitch lock right now. Not to much chance of mine disappearing out of my shed in my yard. But, I suppose if I take to the campground and leave it for a couple of days someone could notice I'm not there and tow it away. A hitch lock could slow them down some I suppose.

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/21 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Caveman, padlocking chains helps too.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't count on a hitch lock for theft protection. Back in the day I repossessed a number of TT's and 5'vers with hitch locks in place. All it took to snag most of the TT's was to back up to them and hook up the safety chains before driving off. For 5'vers, we backed the extended wheel lift stinger up to the landing legs, wrapped around them, lift and go. The tougher ones were the trailers that had chains through wheels and wrapped around the frame or axles. Those required sticking wheel dollys under the tires. And before anyone asks, we were not allowed to damage any personal property such as cutting locks or chains. The bank or finance company was responsible for getting them removed. My suggestion for both TT's and 5'vers is a good quality chain and lock through the wheels and around the frame or axle. The typical crook won't be equipped to handle that. A hitch lock will stop the opportunists, but not the more determined crooks.

* This post was edited 03/29/21 05:37pm by Dutch_12078 *

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/21 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting point about the chain through the wheels. I might do that on one of my trailers. I have a hitch lock on the 5th wheel. Mostly to stop the opportunist. I think my house is fairly secure and with dogs and cameras, not much chance for someone to get in here, unless they know we are gone.

I have a place that I take my trailer for service. They make me remove all personal items, even the propane tanks. They have seen people take all kinds of things from their lot. Since the storage keys are mostly the same, it doesn't take much for someone to get in. Propane is used in making meth so those guys look for places to grab propane tanks.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/21 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

Interesting point about the chain through the wheels. I might do that on one of my trailers. I have a hitch lock on the 5th wheel. Mostly to stop the opportunist. I think my house is fairly secure and with dogs and cameras, not much chance for someone to get in here, unless they know we are gone.

I have a place that I take my trailer for service. They make me remove all personal items, even the propane tanks. They have seen people take all kinds of things from their lot. Since the storage keys are mostly the same, it doesn't take much for someone to get in. Propane is used in making meth so those guys look for places to grab propane tanks.

Just to be clear, it isn't the propane the meth cooks are after, it's the cylinders. They use the cylinders to transport anhydrous ammonia used in meth production. If you spot a cylinder at a refillers or in an exchange rack with green corrosion around the brass valve, stay away from it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Lock em up... a long story
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.