cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing water filtration under Rv...help

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2001 Monaco Dynasty. In the recent Texas freeze, it damaged our water filtration system in the bay.
(We were away on a family emergency)
I cannot find the replacement parts so my question is, do I really need the filtration or can I install an under the sink system for kitchen uses?
Any thoughts ?
Wondering if any damage to pipes or ? If shower, etc aren't filtered enough?
Thanks.
Nancy
9 REPLIES 9

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just set it up with a adapter so that you can blow out the water system with air and you will not have that issue. I started RV back in 75 and only once lost a sewage fitting to freezing. Did not fill it with antifreeze.

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
The freeze shattered the thick holders for our water filters in the bay. It also killed our mani-build(?) that distributes the water to all faucets after entering the RV.
So getting parts and nothing $ can't buy to get us on the road again (hopefully)
Will start a new string about getting an exterior filtration setup.
Thanks again.

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your input and help!
Nancy

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on your water preference. That is a two stage water filter made by GE. Easily replaced but takes some patience. Whether you keep it or not, you'll have to fiddle with it. The fittings are standard 1/2 inch so you have several choices.
1. Cut the screw fittings off. Get two 90 degree shark bite fittings and a short piece of PEX and connect all of them together.
2. Buy a two stage replacement filter assembly and change it out.

Obviously the second choice is my preference. You'll have to do your install under the kitchen sink which will be just as much of a nuisance as doing choice two, maybe more. There's more to water than just drinking. Sediment etc gets in your sink faucets and gums up your washer.......Dennis

Replacement 2 stage water filtration system
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
The filter housing for under the sink is not any different than what most of us has in our wet bay. So yes you can get a new one from a big box hardware store. The filter cartage makes the difference in the level of filtration.

I filter at the water bay to keep sand and crud out of my tank and system. Under the kitchen sink for taste and odor and in the refrigerator for drinking water. On the road you can never filter too much because you never know the water quality you're dealing with.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The easy way is an in-line filter.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
just use in line filter/s i the hose feeding the rv
bumpy

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
as stated its probably pex and you can make you a fitting and hose connection and pressure check with air to check for leaks. Whether you put it is up to you as stated. If full of water and it freezes it going to burst no matter where it is.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only you can decide if you want water filtration as it enters the rig, under the sink, or none at all if you wish. Parts can be had at most hardware stores, I have a Monaco and it is 1/2 inch pex which can be picked up at Lowes or Home Depot, they carry pricier shark bite fittings, CW or most well stocked RV part stores will have a variety plastic fittings for any configuration possible.

We eliminated the water bay filter in our Monaco since it is prone to freezing and installed a filter under kitchen sink, don't need filtered water for our showers, toilet, or for doing the dishes. We cook with our filtered kitchen water but still drink bottled water 99% of the time, grew up where water is hard and heavily chlorinated, I guess we've become water snobs over the years.