cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chevy 2500 HD truck shortage

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer
I was ready to buy a new truck today but the dealer did not have any of the Chevy 2500's with the new gas engine and did not know when he would be getting some. Anyone else noticed this? If you want a duramax there are some of those but I really wanted the gas burner this time. Would be my first new truck in 20 years.
2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC
25 REPLIES 25

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer
Now if I can just pay for it. Cost close to twice as much as my old truck.
2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Americamper wrote:
I lucked out yesterday and found a 2021 Ford F250 XL with nice packages added , 7.3 gas, 10 speed, 3.55 rear It was a demo but looks great. I drove it a 100 miles home and it seemed to be getting fantastic gas mileage. Seemed like it was making gas. Have to see how it does with camper on. I just ordered torklift frame mounts for it.

Fantastic gas millage? Making gas? The guage is broke take it back! Lol.

Seriously, good luck with the new truck.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Americamper wrote:
I lucked out yesterday and found a 2021 Ford F250 XL with nice packages added , 7.3 gas, 10 speed, 3.55 rear It was a demo but looks great. I drove it a 100 miles home and it seemed to be getting fantastic gas mileage. Seemed like it was making gas. Have to see how it does with camper on. I just ordered torklift frame mounts for it.

Congratulations on the new truck!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
It’s been pretty well documented that in the past the difference was the rating and block. The block just raises the starting point for the springs. It’s probably worth validating that the tires aren’t low rated.

You can also validate what axle etc it has with the helpful people at Ford-trucks.com.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Americamper wrote:
My 2000 F250 IS technically a F350 since I added the lift block from the F350>

Not sure what “lift block” does for your truck?

Have you added leaf springs?

Typical delta between 3/4 ton and 1 ton is springs and tires/wheels.

Again, your better off to get these when you sign on the dotted line.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer
My 2000 F250 IS technically a F350 since I added the lift block from the F350>

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
billtex wrote:
But if you are buying a new truck now there is no reason not to go one ton.

I can name a couple anyway, assuming you mean an SRW 1 ton.

1. For every 10 3/4 ton trucks on the lot, there MIGHT be ONE SRW 1 ton, in normal times.
2. There aren't even 10 3/4 ton trucks on anyone's lot right now. One in ten dealers might have an SRW 1 ton in stock.

My local dealer has 58 F350’s https://www.tascafordri.com/new-inventory/index.htm?model=F-350

And 11 F250
Maybe it’s a regional thing.

I’ll say it again-unless you have a VERY light TC, no good reason to get a F250. You’ll spend more on mods trying to get there.

Anyway, trucks are big $$$ nowadays. The OP should test drive all three flavors.

I don’t “want” diesel either. All set with that.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

specta
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:

That’s fine. But if you are buying a new truck now there is no reason not to go one ton.
Cost difference is negligible. If you already owned the 3/4 ton you can mod it, but when starting from scratch? Geez. No good reason to go 3/4 ton. Just trying to save you some pain down the road...

Pretty much any TC out there will over load a 3/4 ton.

Anyway, don’t get hung up on one brand. Go drive them all while you’re shopping. It may be an eye opener.

Not everyone wants a 1-ton just like not everyone wants a diesel.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not Chevy but Barron's just posted that Ford would be shutting down some truck lines due to the lack of chips. I imagine other manufacturers will be doing the same.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
What I've generally found over the years, Work Trucks with nothing, or trucks maxed out with everything but a sink. Half the 'extras' are meaningless to a lot of truck buyers. Everyone might like a few extras, but almost no one likes everything. And it's tough to even order one - especially today - without buying a buncha stuff you don't want in order to get one or two things you do want.

I'd imagine supplies of a variety of configurations are a thing of the past. If dealers keep lower stock, I imagine truck will remain higher priced. Good for dealers, not so great if anyone wants or needs a new truck.

Our 2015 with 60K miles will do us a lot more years, a lot more!! We keep getting mail offers from local dealers to buy our truck for $30K (I bet not) and then we can buy the same truck, newer, for $60K ... not sure that makes sense to a buyer.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
billtex wrote:
But if you are buying a new truck now there is no reason not to go one ton.

I can name a couple anyway, assuming you mean an SRW 1 ton.

1. For every 10 3/4 ton trucks on the lot, there MIGHT be ONE SRW 1 ton, in normal times.
2. There aren't even 10 3/4 ton trucks on anyone's lot right now. One in ten dealers might have an SRW 1 ton in stock.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both times I shopped for new trucks, Summer 2010 and Summer 2018, there were shortages and it was very difficult to buy a suitable truck. I could not even order one to be received within a few months.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Harvey, you should have no problem carrying your Northstar Laredo with a 2021 GM 2500 series truck with the new 6.6 gasser. I personally like the GM 1 ton trucks because they ride so nice, loaded or unloaded.