Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Chevy 2500 HD truck shortage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Chevy 2500 HD truck shortage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/21 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Americamper wrote:

Yes this is a truck camper forum but I don't carry a behemoth like some do. I am not knocking them though. To each his own. I have been fine with my F250 for 12 years. The 2021 chevy 2500 with the gas 6.6 would have more payload than my current truck.

That’s fine. But if you are buying a new truck now there is no reason not to go one ton.
Cost difference is negligible.If you already owned the 3/4 ton you can mod it, but when starting from scratch? Geez. No good reason to go 3/4 ton. Just trying to save you some pain down the road...

Pretty much any TC out there will over load a 3/4 ton.

Anyway, don’t get hung up on one brand. Go drive them all while you’re shopping. It may be an eye opener.

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/21 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tbh. I really like my 6.6 , i have nothing to compare it to as this is my first 3/4 ton truck. So far so good. I have good luck with gm stuff, had 2 1500 gmcs before this. The guys I work with have not have good luck with the fords. 1 f150 and 1 250 have had many problems so far. This is 2021 stuff for the fords. The f 150 is still waiting on parts and a tec to diagnose the 2 month old problem. Its a **** shoot. There both good trucks. But check the recalls and such first.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harvey, you should have no problem carrying your Northstar Laredo with a 2021 GM 2500 series truck with the new 6.6 gasser. I personally like the GM 1 ton trucks because they ride so nice, loaded or unloaded.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both times I shopped for new trucks, Summer 2010 and Summer 2018, there were shortages and it was very difficult to buy a suitable truck. I could not even order one to be received within a few months.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

But if you are buying a new truck now there is no reason not to go one ton.

I can name a couple anyway, assuming you mean an SRW 1 ton.

1. For every 10 3/4 ton trucks on the lot, there MIGHT be ONE SRW 1 ton, in normal times.
2. There aren't even 10 3/4 ton trucks on anyone's lot right now. One in ten dealers might have an SRW 1 ton in stock.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I've generally found over the years, Work Trucks with nothing, or trucks maxed out with everything but a sink. Half the 'extras' are meaningless to a lot of truck buyers. Everyone might like a few extras, but almost no one likes everything. And it's tough to even order one - especially today - without buying a buncha stuff you don't want in order to get one or two things you do want.

I'd imagine supplies of a variety of configurations are a thing of the past. If dealers keep lower stock, I imagine truck will remain higher priced. Good for dealers, not so great if anyone wants or needs a new truck.

Our 2015 with 60K miles will do us a lot more years, a lot more!! We keep getting mail offers from local dealers to buy our truck for $30K (I bet not) and then we can buy the same truck, newer, for $60K ... not sure that makes sense to a buyer.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

narcodog

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not Chevy but Barron's just posted that Ford would be shutting down some truck lines due to the lack of chips. I imagine other manufacturers will be doing the same.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

That’s fine. But if you are buying a new truck now there is no reason not to go one ton.
Cost difference is negligible. If you already owned the 3/4 ton you can mod it, but when starting from scratch? Geez. No good reason to go 3/4 ton. Just trying to save you some pain down the road...

Pretty much any TC out there will over load a 3/4 ton.

Anyway, don’t get hung up on one brand. Go drive them all while you’re shopping. It may be an eye opener.

Not everyone wants a 1-ton just like not everyone wants a diesel.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

billtex wrote:

But if you are buying a new truck now there is no reason not to go one ton.

I can name a couple anyway, assuming you mean an SRW 1 ton.

1. For every 10 3/4 ton trucks on the lot, there MIGHT be ONE SRW 1 ton, in normal times.
2. There aren't even 10 3/4 ton trucks on anyone's lot right now. One in ten dealers might have an SRW 1 ton in stock.

My local dealer has 58 F350’s https://www.tascafordri.com/new-inventory/index.htm?model=F-350

And 11 F250
Maybe it’s a regional thing.

I’ll say it again-unless you have a VERY light TC, no good reason to get a F250. You’ll spend more on mods trying to get there.

Anyway, trucks are big $$$ nowadays. The OP should test drive all three flavors.

I don’t “want” diesel either. All set with that.

Americamper

Anniston AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/21 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2000 F250 IS technically a F350 since I added the lift block from the F350>

2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Chevy 2500 HD truck shortage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.