Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: Need new tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Need new tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
mrad

Prineton, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In October of 2020, WE bought our first 5th wheel, a 2015 Heartland cyclone 4150. From what we can tell, it was left on a seasonal site since 2016. I am thinking the tires are original, and although they look almost new, I am planning on replacing them as it sounds like dry rot is a problem when a tire gets this old. The tires that are on it are E-rated. This is a triple axle coach with a 20,000 lb GVWR. When I did the math with the tire weight capacity that was listed on the tire, there was only 540 lbs left if the TH was fully loaded (which I doubt I will ever come close too). Does this seem odd that the TH would have come with these tires from the factory? I am thinking I need to put "G" rated tires on it when I replace these. My local small town tire shop recommended: "G" rated not only for the extra capacity but also said they have never seen a "G" rated tire shred on a 5th wheel. The price is about $210 per tire vs. $170 for the E rated. I have no problem spending the extra money, but just wanted opinions from those who have been doing this longer than I have

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/21 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually I'm not surprised they came with E's - they are cheaper and that's what the manufacturer goes for. What tire is your dealer recommending is the next big question?

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrad wrote:

In October of 2020, WE bought our first 5th wheel, a 2015 Heartland cyclone 4150. From what we can tell, it was left on a seasonal site since 2016. I am thinking the tires are original, and although they look almost new, I am planning on replacing them as it sounds like dry rot is a problem when a tire gets this old. The tires that are on it are E-rated. This is a triple axle coach with a 20,000 lb GVWR. When I did the math with the tire weight capacity that was listed on the tire, there was only 540 lbs left if the TH was fully loaded (which I doubt I will ever come close too). Does this seem odd that the TH would have come with these tires from the factory? I am thinking I need to put "G" rated tires on it when I replace these. My local small town tire shop recommended: "G" rated not only for the extra capacity but also said they have never seen a "G" rated tire shred on a 5th wheel. The price is about $210 per tire vs. $170 for the E rated. I have no problem spending the extra money, but just wanted opinions from those who have been doing this longer than I have
Buy the ā€œGā€ rated tires!!!! Then buy the Good Sam Emergency roadside service plan for break downs and changing tires??????

arhayes

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/21 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with trailer tires is the tread gets little wear so they almost always look great unless there has been abnormal wear. Normally they'll age out or have signs of dry rot before the tread looks worn. I buy Sailuns because I only run my "H" rated tires 15,000 - 20,000 miles and they are less expensive. YMMV

Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

mrad

Prineton, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarkTwain wrote:

mrad wrote:

Buy the ā€œGā€ rated tires!!!! Then buy the Good Sam Emergency roadside service plan for break downs and changing tires??????

I have the AAA RV coverage that would pay for the tire change. I don't remember the brand my local guy recommended a it was back in November that he quoted me, but I know he is a "Buy american guy" so I am assuming it is an american made tire

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/21 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I finally, after two blowouts, went to G rated tires on my 5th wheel and have been pleased! I highly recommend upgrading to the higher load range.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

When I did the math with the tire weight capacity that was listed on the tire, there was only 540 lbs left if the TH was fully loaded (which I doubt I will ever come close too). Does this seem odd that the TH would have come with these tires from the factory?

Your fully loaded 20000 gvwr trailer will never weigh 20000 lbs. The 20-25 percent hitch weight will go on the trucks rear axle.
20000 gvwr minus 20 percent hitch load = 16000 lbs on the trailers axles.... or 2700 lbs per tire. Now add a 10-15 reserve capacity brings tire capacity up to around 3000 lbs per tire.

IMO your trailer may have 6k axles = 18000 lbs.
Six LT235/85-16 E at 3042 lbs will give 18252 lbs capacity. The Bridgestone R-238 or Michelin XPS Ribs both are a commercial grade all steel ply carcass and work great on 6k axles and your 3000 lbs per tire needs and 80 psi rated wheels. I've used LT E for years on my commercial trailers with 6k axles and zero issues at highway speeds and 50k-60k miles of service. This type of work we actually wear the tire down to the wear bars...sometimes in 6-8 months on the road.

Load G tires at 110 psi will require 110 psi rated wheels work best on 7k axles.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/21 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The side of the tire will have a date code on it, so no need to guess at age...but most likely they are the original tires, so 6-7yrs old. Yes, that's time to be looking at new tires.

When you calculated the load ratings, did you do it based on the GVWR or the GVWR minus the hitch weight. It's fine if you want to upgrade the tires but if you have excess capacity, that's should be fine.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/21 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since it's a triple axle, the mfgr. probably could get away with E-rated tires. If you can still read the trailer sticker it might provide some knowledge. If the wheels are rated for 110psi, you could go with G-rated tires in the same size as the original, but you may not need to based on your axle rating.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have similar rig, put Saline tires on ours. Have been very happy with them

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Need new tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.