Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: Need new tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Need new tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/21 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

G Sailuns make sure your rims will hold them, 110 PSI 14ply 4080lbs ea. All great reviews just put 5 on my 5W.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO G-rated tires are unnecessary with your application. As was mentioned by JIMLIN, all the reasons he noted work on your trailer.

I have a similarly equipped 5th wheel, and I put Sailun tires on it about 7 years ago. But when I replace them, I may go to LT tires as I have weighed each wheel and I only have a max of 2500 lbs. on two wheels. However I may stick with the Sailun due to them being cheaper than new LT tires. Go figure.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mrad

Prineton, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

The side of the tire will have a date code on it, so no need to guess at age...but most likely they are the original tires, so 6-7yrs old. Yes, that's time to be looking at new tires.

When you calculated the load ratings, did you do it based on the GVWR or the GVWR minus the hitch weight. It's fine if you want to upgrade the tires but if you have excess capacity, that's should be fine.

I did not calculate the pin weight. That completely slipped my mind. If I subtract the 3,400lb of hitch weight, I guess I have plenty of capacity left on each of the E-rated tires.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3,400 lbs. hitch weight could be a bit light too. You could be looking at 3,600-4,000 lbs. hitch weight. Depends on how much stuff you carry in the garage. Toyhaulers tend to be front heavy so when weight is added to the garage, the hitch doesn't get too light.

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/21 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sailuns vs. Good Year Endurance, which is better? I assume Sailuns are cheaper. In the market myself but not as concerned about weight since not a toy hauler anymore

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/21 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nayther wrote:

Sailuns vs. Good Year Endurance, which is better? I assume Sailuns are cheaper. In the market myself but not as concerned about weight since not a toy hauler anymore

Both are getting excellent reviews. With what I have read your paying for the good year name and the price was not significant between them, most buying all new can afford either brand. I have run LT's on all my prior 5W's including my currant. Flat on one LT and the other where getting to the end, so I went Sailuns to see if they meet their reputation, plus the dealer had them in stock and had to order the Good Years. I have only had them on a short time but so far, high winds and 6o miles of snow cover road and the 5W tracked great.

lincster

Mesa Az

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Run LT tires no matter what you go with.

Cheap and tires are not a good combination when it comes to tires.

2019 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/21 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lincster wrote:

Agree on the price, collateral damage will eat up any possible savings. You were a huge proponent of Michelin Ribs, correct? Still feel the same? I have an EXCELLENT tire store I've traded with for 50 years so I'm going to have a chat with my buddies at Western Tire.

lamopar

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a tripple axle toy hauler for 8 years. I had a lot of problems with tires not holding up until I changed over to the GoodYear tires from Discount Tire. They are speed rated at 81 MPH and showed impressive wear resistance. These tires were 15". Our new unit has has 16" tires and G rated but it is only two axles. Just giving my experience with the GoodYears and it was great. Also from my experience with other tires we saw the tire blow out and belts eat a hole through the floor, a tire blow out and blow the fender off the trailer and hit a piece of rebar from a broken curb in a parking lot take out two of the three tires when I only had one spare.

lincster

Mesa Az

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nayther wrote:

lincster wrote:

Agree on the price, collateral damage will eat up any possible savings. You were a huge proponent of Michelin Ribs, correct? Still feel the same? I have an EXCELLENT tire store I've traded with for 50 years so I'm going to have a chat with my buddies at Western Tire.

I still run the Ribs, but only because Michelin pro rates them so well every time I get some ozone cracking.
I get it every 2-3 years and then after year 4, it is so bad I am not comfortable.
Michelin will give me between 40-65% proration so it is hard to start over with a different brand.

I will only run LT tires, but some of my buddies run the G rated tires, ST, that are out there.
Sailun is one and Hercules is another.
They have blow outs.
They blame them that is because they sit in the sun in Phoenix.
I agree that is not the best, but these are tires that are only 1-2 years old. Even sitting in the sun, they shouldn't be blowing out that soon.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Need new tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.