Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New Dually - Need Hitch, Toolbox, Rolling Cover Advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New Dually - Need Hitch, Toolbox, Rolling Cover Advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
JAL_Camper

Raleigh, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/21 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just picked up the new TV yesterday -- 2021 RAM 3500 Big Horn Crew Cab Long Box, Dually. Need advice on getting it ready for the Fiver (2021 Jayco Eagle 336 FBOX -- Dry Pin 2,215 lbs. GRWR 13,750 lbs.)

Hitch -- Hearing B&W a lot. TV has the factory prep four puck system.

Toolbox -- TV has the 50 gal fuel tank so I'm not really interested in the Transfer Flow type combo fuel and tool box. Just a locking toolbox.

Rolling Cover -- Heard from another truck owner that he liked the Revolver X4.

Also, the RAM had 19 miles on it when I bought it yesterday. Truck dealer said no break in needed before towing. (HUH??) Was reading the owner's manual last night and p. 241 says, "Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles" to avoid damage. Picking up Fiver mid April, so I'm driving the RAM 40+ miles a day to get to the 500.

Appreciated all the advice and input when I had posted about advice for TV a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure I'll get more good input again. And, yes, I will post pics, ect. when everything is complete.

JAL
2002 Burb 2500 LT, 8.1L, Autoride, 4x4
2005 Jayco Eagle 298BHS
">Check It OutReese HP 1,200 Lb. Bars WD/Dual Cam HP Sway Control/Prodigy® Brake Control

Family: Two Baby Boomers with Two Generation Y Kids -- All RV Generation

CAMPED IN:

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/21 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try looking at a Softopper folding "cap"

Not affiliated, but I've had mine for over 10 years, very happy.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe the no tow reccomendation is generally to break in the final drive gears.
That said, I've had many new trucks (company vehicles) that got hooked up almost immediately for heavy towing duty with no ill effects.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

srt20

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JAL_Camper wrote:

Just picked up the new TV yesterday -- 2021 RAM 3500 Big Horn Crew Cab Long Box, Dually. Need advice on getting it ready for the Fiver (2021 Jayco Eagle 336 FBOX -- Dry Pin 2,215 lbs. GRWR 13,750 lbs.)

Hitch -- Hearing B&W a lot. TV has the factory prep four puck system.

Toolbox -- TV has the 50 gal fuel tank so I'm not really interested in the Transfer Flow type combo fuel and tool box. Just a locking toolbox.

Rolling Cover -- Heard from another truck owner that he liked the Revolver X4.

Also, the RAM had 19 miles on it when I bought it yesterday. Truck dealer said no break in needed before towing. (HUH??) Was reading the owner's manual last night and p. 241 says, "Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles" to avoid damage. Picking up Fiver mid April, so I'm driving the RAM 40+ miles a day to get to the 500.

Appreciated all the advice and input when I had posted about advice for TV a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure I'll get more good input again. And, yes, I will post pics, ect. when everything is complete.

I have a Revolver. Its a POS. Its my second Bak product and also my last. First was a folding cover that they took back because it leaked so bad on the folding seams. The Revolver plastic clip for strap broke, vinyl is coming apart, and latch is a poor design that most times takes a couple tries. All at 2 years old or less. And the rubber seams that rest on the box side look like cooked bacon and have since new. And I see this on almost all trucks that have a Revolver cover.

Many people seem to like them, but either I got 2 bad ones in a row, or they are poor made.

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Revolver X4 for one year and have had no problems. I don't live in a cold climate which may make a difference in appearance. The tool box will have to be an under the rails tool box if you want to use a cover. Even with the cover rolled up I don't know if you will be able to open the tool box. The new trucks are high so you may need a small ladder to reach the items in your tool box. It would be nice if they made a tool box were the lid would slide towards the middle of the box.

2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing better than the 100% Made in USA B&W Puck for that truck. simple, solid and you won't drop your RV if you simply visually verify the pinbox and hitch plates are touching along with the jaws closed around the kingpin and the handle is closed and locked.

Toolbox as shown is a 30" front to back bed height HighwayProducts and also 100% Made in USA. NOT cheap.

Congrats on the new ride!

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The break-in is for the differential, NOT the engine as it is ready to pull right out of the gate.

Personally I would take a weekend trip and get used to all the functions to rack up the miles.

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/21 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!

I’ve been using a Reece GooseBox for a couple of years now and would not go back to a 5er hitch. Nice to have a clean truck bed to use when I want to. Its also the only gooseneck hitch that will not void you trailer warranty.

Reece GooseBox

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Nothing better than the 100% Made in USA B&W Puck for that truck. simple, solid and you won't drop your RV if you simply visually verify the pinbox and hitch plates are touching along with the jaws closed around the kingpin and the handle is closed and locked.

Toolbox as shown is a 30" front to back bed height HighwayProducts and also 100% Made in USA. NOT cheap.

Congrats on the new ride!

[image]

^^This is the set up you want. Put a 1,000 miles on your truck and then dump the diff oil and refill with the recommended quantity of Amsoil Severe Gear.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

100% agree on the short drain and refill with AMZ/OIL SevereGear.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New Dually - Need Hitch, Toolbox, Rolling Cover Advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.