Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Waiting to become an "official" Texan
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Waiting to become an "official" Texan

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I moved to Amarillo recently and still have my Arizona plate and DL. I drove to the local TX DMV and found that a birth certificate was necessary, otherwise no possibility for a TX DL. My original birth certificate plus other important documents were lost when my vehicle was stolen in Albuquerque a couple of years ago (I was planning a possible move there at the time, and my vehicle was stuffed with my personal belongings). So I ordered a replacement birth certificate from the proper agency in Phoenix, where I was born, and awaiting its arrival. I should have checked first to determine what documents were necessary. My bad. Anyhow, the ball's rolling. I can't say anything great about Amarillo, except the almost constant winds. It's quite different from Tucson, where I was previously living, that's for sure. It's an OK city, though, and I'm living a little cheaper in comparison to the place I was staying in Tucson. Next, I'll need to work on my Texas drawl. I've still retained my old NY accent [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/21 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I'm not becoming a Texan after all. It's back to my old stomping grounds in Tucson. The long term hotel where I have been staying suddenly upped my rent by hundreds of dollars/month. It wasn't a bad place while the rent was more reasonable, so no more long term hotels for me! I'll try to grab a suitable apartment in Tucson, although I dislike living in an apartment environment, having been a full time RVer for years. If I was less handicapped I wouldn't even consider an apartment. Anyhow, you gotta accept what life throws at you. [emoticon]

EDIT: I've decided to stay in Texas. I don't want to make another move. I received my birth certificate today, so now I can go for my TX drivers license. Got an appointment at the DMV for 19 April. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 04/03/21 04:48pm by mr. ed *

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/21 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are nice apartments in Amarillo, Mr. Ed, at far cheaper rates than any long term hotel.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do realize the pan handle of Texas was not wanted by Texas,so they put it up and nobody wanted it. Personally I like Amarillo,at least the steak house there.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

katmann343

Murphy,Texas, U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tons of history in the flat lands, Amarillo Blvd. is the original Rt 66,also an item of interest is the stage play "Texas" in Palo Duro canyon just East of Canyon.

2006 F 350 PSD King Ranch
2004 Hitchhiker II LS UKTG

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wanderlost wrote:

There are nice apartments in Amarillo, Mr. Ed, at far cheaper rates than any long term hotel.

Yes, you’re probably right. There are certain reasons why I prefer extended stay hotels at this time. Being handicapped, I find their handicap accessible rooms work for me well. Of course they’re furnished and come with housekeeping. Fortunately I had enough savings to keep me going for 4 1/2 years. Of course, utilities are also included. By the time you factor these things in, you’re not too far off from the higher price of the hotel. If I had my physical abilities back, you can bes sure I’d be full time RVing again. No better lifestyle in my estimation. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Waiting to become an "official" Texan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.